Leitz Agency Pre-War Informational Magazines

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Although many books, by great Leica photographers, such as Wolff, Bauman, Karfeld, Morgan and many others demonstrated the capablility of the Leica; many country Lietz organizations published periodicals  of their own, to give detailed up to date information and to aid sales. With monthly or semi-monthly distributions to existing and potential customers, new products and techniques were highlighted. The primary German version was "Die Leica", first started in May/June of 1931 and continuing until at least Sept./Oct. 1942. The name changed in Sept. 1936 to Kleinfilm-Foto, but the editor remained the same. The USA had their own newsletter, "Leica Photography", begining in Dec. 1932 and continuing until Sept. 1939. Transitioning from a few typed pages, to color in 1937. In England, "Leica News and Techniques", published by Leitz London, ran from Jan. 1935 to at least May/June 1939. Similar periodicals from Spain, Italy, Argentina and others must exist, but I rely on other members to help bring them to light.

During the war, Leitz New York continued with six issues entitled " Leica Information Bulletin". Never exceeding 12 pages and containing by necessity a majority of Leitz New York products. From April 1940  and 1941 and then technically after the war in 1945 and 1946.

Below are two photos, self-explanatory I suspose, and all 6 (I believe) of the New York Bulletin. I am priviledged to have mutiple complete sets of all these interesting newsletters/magazines. In 1948 New York restarted Leica Photography and in 1949 Leica Fotografie was launched. Today Viewfinder, 1968 and VIDOM ,1975  society publications ,bring wonderful information.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

Thank you Alan for showing us these early Leica bulletins, news-product updates, and mini-magazines. Good stuff with a wealth of information.

I wish Leica management would at least permit owners to scan these publications, and post them on a public website such as this Forum. I can imagine no good reason why this is a problem for them or their legal people. Thousands of us Meccano (a metal construction system, like American Erector) enthusiasts support our reference websites, that contain our scans of all the Meccano Magazines from 1914-1978, plus hundreds of instruction manuals, sales brochures and other ephemera. This is a wonderful, historical reference for us Meccanomen around the world, and I don't understand why Leica would not support end even encourage a similar effort by "us".