Sensor Corrosion Analysis and Fix [Merged]

rramesh

15 hours ago, Travis Hill said:

Hey Marac, did you get your M9M fixed by ACS? I've just sent them and email hoping they can do mine too...

I have sent them my M9 but I know for a fact they have repaired an M9M. They have a bit of a backlog of work and have stated the repair takes time (they are perfectionists) they also stated that the repair is taken on with the understanding that they will not be held responsible if it doesn't work out. I had to agree that before they accepted the repair, I know the guys very well there and I had no problem at all agreeing to that. They have done work for me before many times and have always been excellent. As it is such a delecate repair, they like to take their time with it, I see that as a mark of respect.

Like anything in life, we make a decision based on what we know. My M9 is badly affected and is unusable so I have nothing to lose really, only everything to gain. Take a chance or not?

• Like 2

vor 5 Stunden schrieb Casey Jefferson:

This is how they do it in Beijing (Bilibili links)

M9 (also most other variants), also demonstrate the corrosion affecting the tiny wires connected to the board and resulting black/purple half frame:

http://b23.tv/RgcHS7

And Leica S006:

http://b23.tv/o9LDep

Great to see several solutions exist.

For non-Chinese speakers here, does the video show what type of glass / thickness / what optical properties are being used to replace the sensor glass? Any information on the price?

These is useful information especially for Forum members in the region. 

20 minutes ago, criolf said:

I'd like to know too...

Also - is the camera usable without the glass?

The glass must be replaced as it is part of the optical path. It's best to keep the same thickness and index of refraction, however- repair shops will reposition the sensor. I'm not sure if there is enough flexibility in repositioning to make up for the 0.8mm thick cover glass. Some shops will replace with clear glass for full-spectrum sensitivity to visible+IR.

Edited by BrianS

1 hour ago, kristyansen said:

Great to see several solutions exist.

For non-Chinese speakers here, does the video show what type of glass / thickness / what optical properties are being used to replace the sensor glass? Any information on the price?

These is useful information especially for Forum members in the region. 

Few informations mentioned in the video:

1) Filter glass ordered were from OEM manufacturer, which can literally mean anything, they didn't disclose any further informations. According to replies from the author in the comment section, thickness of the filter glass to be the same as original.

2) Before the new filter glass was applied, author was showing the different color reflected off the lights to show different coating on the filter glass.

3) They acquired the skill and knowledge about the filter glass and replacement since 2016, and repairs were stable throughout the years.

4) They also posted few other videos, one which shows and explain that the glue must kept minimum to keep the thickness correct so there will be no lost of sharpness.

5) I believe the price to be RMB3000 which translate to USD$500, which the information was available in the comment section I think (or was it another video).

No mention about their workshop setup, any effort to dust free environment etc. So there you have it...

Edited by Casey Jefferson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 hours ago, Casey Jefferson said:

Few informations mentioned in the video:

1) Filter glass ordered were from OEM manufacturer, which can literally mean anything, they didn't disclose any further informations. According to replies from the author in the comment section, thickness of the filter glass to be the same as original.

2) Before the new filter glass was applied, author was showing the different color reflected off the lights to show different coating on the filter glass.

3) They acquired the skill and knowledge about the filter glass and replacement since 2016, and repairs were stable throughout the years.

4) They also posted few other videos, one which shows and explain that the glue must kept minimum to keep the thickness correct so there will be no lost of sharpness.

5) I believe the price to be RMB3000 which translate to USD$500, which the information was available in the comment section I think (or was it another video).

No mention about their workshop setup, any effort to dust free environment etc. So there you have it...

For M9- not M9M or other variants.

Until someone in this thread can confirm a successful repair of any of the variants of the M9, and not the M9 specifically, I'll continue to keep my $$ in a holding pattern, and my M9M sensor a bit funky, if you will.

I see M9 repair success- not M9 variants

• Thanks 1

I have repaired all the M9 variants including M9, M9P, M9M and ME.  But I am also swamped with work and it is taking me a month or more to get to the cameras.  Hopefully, in the next month or two, I can get back to my 1-2 week turn around. However,  I have also had to send back customer cameras before doing any work where 1/2 the image was black.  All full frame sensors, including the M9, are made in two passes and 'stitched' together.  I have seen a number of M9 cameras fail where 1/2 the sensor works and 1/2 the sensor does not.  For those cameras, you are out of luck unless you find a donor camera.

6 hours ago, dllewellyn said:

I have repaired all the M9 variants including M9, M9P, M9M and ME.  But I am also swamped with work and it is taking me a month or more to get to the cameras.  Hopefully, in the next month or two, I can get back to my 1-2 week turn around. However,  I have also had to send back customer cameras before doing any work where 1/2 the image was black.  All full frame sensors, including the M9, are made in two passes and 'stitched' together.  I have seen a number of M9 cameras fail where 1/2 the sensor works and 1/2 the sensor does not.  For those cameras, you are out of luck unless you find a donor camera.

Can you provide references from any customers who can vouch for successful repair results,  who own any of the variants of the M9,  do not include standard M9

That to me would be a win-win situation for both you and members here looking for a solution.$$$ for you, and 😀 for us.

I'd be thrilled to speak with them, and in the least, see if they'd be willing to post something here on the forum to support your work.

We all know the M9 can be repaired by several sources- both US and Europe.  Old News!

Edited by codocee
Errors

49 minutes ago, criolf said:

I've order this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274365625004?hash=item3fe17732ac:g:iywAAOSw3nNevRL0

I'll follow the Bilibili video and attempt to dyi my M9P when it arrives (few weeks).

I'll revert with details/results.

Interesting, I think the size do fit the Leica S too with some trimming. A check of a DIY project and do update!

PS: The author of the video do note a couple of important points - you shouldn't even wipe or touch anything below the filter glass, a single wipe or touch will simply leave residue that's impossible to remove. Also the glass lifting part was the most difficult and risky step, which I can imagine if the glass shatter there'll be debris forever stuck on the surface below.

Edited by Casey Jefferson
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, codocee said:

For M9- not M9M or other variants.

Until someone in this thread can confirm a successful repair of any of the variants of the M9, and not the M9 specifically, I'll continue to keep my $$ in a holding pattern, and my M9M sensor a bit funky, if you will.

I see M9 repair success- not M9 variants

Codocee is your M9M sensor showing signs that it is getting worse? I'm hoping that my M9M corrosion doesn't progress. I could live with the current state of corrosion for a while longer 

On 6/16/2021 at 9:55 PM, Marac said:

I have sent them my M9 but I know for a fact they have repaired an M9M. They have a bit of a backlog of work and have stated the repair takes time (they are perfectionists) they also stated that the repair is taken on with the understanding that they will not be held responsible if it doesn't work out. I had to agree that before they accepted the repair, I know the guys very well there and I had no problem at all agreeing to that. They have done work for me before many times and have always been excellent. As it is such a delecate repair, they like to take their time with it, I see that as a mark of respect.

Like anything in life, we make a decision based on what we know. My M9 is badly affected and is unusable so I have nothing to lose really, only everything to gain. Take a chance or not?

Thanks Marac, good info, I'd say take a chance. I heard back from ACS and they said they are getting closer to posting on this forum with an update. Hopefully this service becomes available for more people. 

• Like 2

As I repair some more of the variants, I will post some RAW samples - but what I don't have time for is detailed testing.  I while back, someone on the forum was asking for so many different specific tests that it was not realistic.

All the M9 and the variants will eventually get sensor corrosion (oxidization actually). Variables are things like time, temperature, humidity and ozone.

I am guessing about 100,000 cameras affected because I have repaired ones that have internal handwritten serial numbers (you have to take the camera apart to see it).  I have seen serial number as high as 86,561 so far.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dllewellyn said:

I just finished fixing an M9M.  If anyone wants sample pictures, I took a few outside in DNG.  Camera is getting picked up tomorrow.  You can email me and I can send you a wetransfer link to some pictures.

How about requesting from the camera owner of this M9M a posting here regarding the experience and satisfaction of the repair?

This would provide proof that a M9 variant can in fact be successfully repaired to the customers satisfaction.

Variant to M9 only

Sample images are not necessary, but owner reviews certainly would be helpful to all members who own a variant looking for a proven solution.

I have yet to see one single customer write up on a successful or unsuccessful outcome of specifically the M9M.

Anyone?

2 hours ago, codocee said:

How about requesting from the camera owner of this M9M a posting here regarding the experience and satisfaction of the repair?

This would provide proof that a M9 variant can in fact be successfully repaired to the customers satisfaction.

Variant to M9 only

Sample images are not necessary, but owner reviews certainly would be helpful to all members who own a variant looking for a proven solution.

I have yet to see one single customer write up on a successful or unsuccessful outcome of specifically the M9M.

Anyone?

Post #302.

31 minutes ago, codocee said:

He’s sending in a M9, which has already been proven to be repairable.

I’m looking for Monochrome repair results, also referred to as a M9M.

As previously indicated, post #302:

On 6/16/2021 at 11:55 AM, Marac said:

I know for a fact they have repaired an M9M