Sensor Corrosion Analysis and Fix [Merged]

rramesh

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 4/16/2021 at 6:52 AM, Marac said:

ACS in Norfolk UK have repaired a Leica M9M, look them up.

I'm sure that sending your camera to them is cheaper than the USA option due to import duties etc, I have heard some ridiculous quotes.

ACS have a backlog of repair work so it is taking them a while to complete the process (it is only 2 guys there who do the repairs).

I'm always in talks with both of them. I have an M9 on standby.

My M9M has a new sensor fitted and with a shutter count of 3k is still very much a baby.

In the US we have allowances for gear sent abroad for repair and returned to owner.   You may have the same in the UK.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, CptSlevin said:

To sum up:
M9P is not repairable at this point?

No. There are a number of third party services which will replace the sensor cover glass. For the rest Leica offers full service. 

vor 6 Minuten schrieb ianman:

Why not? If the sensor glass can be replaced and all the rest is still repairable at Leica? I realize there must be something I'm missing but I don't know what. I have known unknowns :)

There is a difference between the M9 and the M9P with the IR glass and the "glue". As I understood it, the IR glass on the M9P is almost impossible to loosen.

Just ask the 2 Firman in the USA (NOT Leica).

---------------- Kolari Vision ------------

Unfortunately, we're not able to repair the Leica M9-P at the moment. The glue/adhesive that they use to secure the coverglass to the sensor is much more difficult to remove without damaging the sensor making it a very high-risk repair. 

We're currently looking into a workflow to be able to support this camera in the near future but we don't have an ETA on when we'll be able to actually support the repair service.
Edited by analog-digital
  • Thanks 1

vor 2 Minuten schrieb ianman:

Thanks. I never knew that. They always wrote about the different screen glass. Just to be 100% clear (I'm not questionning your knowledge), are you sure you don't mean the M9 Monochrom? A different IR glass on that would make sense.

See Kolari Vision answer above. Other wise ASK him.

Did you see this in another thread? They seem able to reapir the M9M so maybe the M9P too.

On 5/25/2021 at 6:28 PM, Marac said:

I can now confirm that ACS in the UK charge £550 + VAT to replace corroded sensor glass on the M9 / M9M Happy days..

I am sending mine tomorrow.

17 hours ago, analog-digital said:

M9P is NOT reparable!

Answering this.

17 hours ago, ianman said:

So why not a "yes" then? Or do you mean repairable fully by Leica?

Double negative... ;)

3 hours ago, jaapv said:

Double negative...

How so?

23 hours ago, jaapv said:

There are a number of third party services which will replace the sensor cover glass.

So, yes the sensor glass can be replaced and,

23 hours ago, jaapv said:

For the rest Leica offers full service. 

Yes, any other issues can be repaired by Leica.

Yet the overall answer was no.... totally illogical.

On 5/30/2021 at 10:55 PM, dllewellyn said:

I have repaired all the M9 variants: M9, M9P,  ME, M-Monochrome.  Same epoxy.  You just have to know how to do it.

Well, Kolari Vision stated that M9P can not be repaired because of the different glue, how did you manage it?

On 5/30/2021 at 4:30 PM, ianman said:

Did you see this in another thread? They seem able to reapir the M9M so maybe the M9P too.

I believe so, best thing is to call them and have a chat (after 10am uk time). Mine is in for repair now, sent it with a lens. They told me about 8 weeks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2021 at 1:52 AM, Marac said:

ACS in Norfolk UK have repaired a Leica M9M, look them up.

I'm sure that sending your camera to them is cheaper than the USA option due to import duties etc, I have heard some ridiculous quotes.

ACS have a backlog of repair work so it is taking them a while to complete the process (it is only 2 guys there who do the repairs).

I'm always in talks with both of them. I have an M9 on standby.

My M9M has a new sensor fitted and with a shutter count of 3k is still very much a baby.

Hey Marac, did you get your M9M fixed by ACS? I've just sent them and email hoping they can do mine too...