Sensor Corrosion Analysis and Fix [Merged]

rramesh

3 minutes ago, codocee said:

Any repair experiences out there from any of the three mentioned sources that anyone would like to share?

Im having trouble finding any.....not very encouraging.

Here is my experience, it was posted on this thread. 

Edited by Raymondl

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks

I've send ma M9 to

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

This was in september 2020. Til then I'm waiting......... Does anybody has experiences with him?

8 hours ago, analog-digital said:

Hi folks

I've send ma M9 to

This was in september 2020. Til then I'm waiting......... Does anybody has experiences with him?

8 hours ago, analog-digital said:

Hi folks

I've send ma M9 to

I have contacted a couple of places...one in NJ and one in the UK....so far I have not heard back from either with a successful process for the MM1 CCD. I have heard that they have done some M9 sensors though.
The  MM1 sensors have a tougher glue and the process to remove the glass is apparently more difficult. My MM1 is perfectly useable with only a couple of small spots of corrosion which I can deal with in PP.  I recently purchased a MM246 which I absolutely love. It's faster, more responsive and better battery, Sapphire glass on the back and much bigger buffer.
I will wait to eventually send my MM1 in wherever there is a proven method to repair it. 

Hi 

My M9P also has corrosion and the Leica told me they will not replace any sensors anymore. So I have two options:

- buy a new Leica and receive a coupon for my M9P

- leave the camera as it is.

Now, the M9P is my first Leica and it was a dream which came true when I had all the money to buy one. I told myself this camera will be used also from my son...bit crappy corrosion now..

I'm im Switzerland and woukd lije to repair the Sensor. Which company do you suggest?

Repairing is cheaper for me then buy a new Leica.

Many thx

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 hours ago, allucinox said:

Hi 

My M9P also has corrosion and the Leica told me they will not replace any sensors anymore. So I have two options:

- buy a new Leica and receive a coupon for my M9P

- leave the camera as it is.

Now, the M9P is my first Leica and it was a dream which came true when I had all the money to buy one. I told myself this camera will be used also from my son...bit crappy corrosion now..

I'm im Switzerland and woukd lije to repair the Sensor. Which company do you suggest?

Repairing is cheaper for me then buy a new Leica.

Many thx

Cheapest fix for M9 with corroded sensor glass seems to be here:

https://kolarivision.com/leica-m9-sensor-corrosion-repair/

If you want to pass usable and working camera among generations, LF format camera will do. Bellows are nothing too special to made. Lens, shutter will lasts for decades and easy to service. And LF is not just film, but DIY emulsion on the glass.  

19 minutes ago, Ko.Fe. said:

If you want to pass usable and working camera among generations, LF format camera will do. Bellows are nothing too special to made. Lens, shutter will lasts for decades and easy to service. And LF is not just film, but DIY emulsion on the glass.  

If someone is currently shooting a Leica and wants something to pass on to the next generation, I would think a film Leica would be the more logical move. Nothing lasts forever but suggesting someone move to large format and DIYing their own glass plates as a replacement for a digital Leica seems a bit silly. Cheers, jc

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jkcampbell2 said:

If someone is currently shooting a Leica and wants something to pass on to the next generation, I would think a film Leica would be the more logical move. Nothing lasts forever but suggesting someone move to large format and DIYing their own glass plates as a replacement for a digital Leica seems a bit silly. Cheers, jc

Think is the key word. Nobody knows how long film is going to last. It is product which is not self sustainable. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ko.Fe. said:

@allucinox sorry to hear that, I personally had great experiences with Kolari Vision, however they only accept M9 ☹️ but maybe it's best to contact them directly to re-confirm.

Note: At the moment, we only support the Leica M9. We do not have support for the Leica M Monochrome, Leica M9-P, ME, or any other Leica camera other than the Leica M9.'

Source: https://kolarivision.com/product/leica_m9_repair/

Am 28.2.2021 um 09:48 schrieb analog-digital:

Hi folks

I've send ma M9 to

Again, has anyone sent their M9 there yet? If YES, with what experience?

I have now written to him that I want my M9 back after 5+ months.

Let's see what I do then. 

How are the experiences with Kolarvision?

• 3 weeks later...

My M9 from

is back. If someone wants to know more about it, he can write to me via mail.

On 3/27/2021 at 5:04 AM, analog-digital said:

My M9 from

is back. If someone wants to know more about it, he can write to me via mail.

Would you mind posting some sample images?  Did Dan say why the repair took so long?

• Like 1

On 12/5/2020 at 4:27 AM, Jadon Rosado said:

a customer came in recently with an original non corroded M9 and he was kind enough to let me take some comparison shots....

the top is the original and the bottom is with the Red Dot conversion, both shot on a 35mm summicron asph at F/2 160 iso

I'm really interested in having an M9 to shoot and indulge myself with the CCD colors, this post is immensely helpful.

Not sure how much setting were contributing to the images, anyhow I tried to match the white balance and realized two things:

The blue seems magenta biased on the new cover glass:

And this is perhaps a bigger problem - purple tint on black fabrics, ala M8?

What do you guys think?

• 2 weeks later...

ACS in Norfolk UK have repaired a Leica M9M, look them up.

I'm sure that sending your camera to them is cheaper than the USA option due to import duties etc, I have heard some ridiculous quotes.

ACS have a backlog of repair work so it is taking them a while to complete the process (it is only 2 guys there who do the repairs).

I'm always in talks with both of them. I have an M9 on standby.

My M9M has a new sensor fitted and with a shutter count of 3k is still very much a baby.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...