Flash Bang Wollop

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So I am back for more help (sorry)...

So I have a CL connected using an old fashioned sinc lead (anyone remember them?) to a studio flash.

By trial and error and tweaking the flash out put power I arrive at an exposure of 1/100th (to insure no blurring) and an F stop of around F13 using iso 100 - there being little other choice.

However if I set up the camera up on these settings the flash modelling light is not powerful enough for me to actually see, let alone control the subject whose portrait I am taking.

I am therefore forced to take the photo blindfolded. In the old days one looked though a view finder and bob's your uncle.

Doe anyone have a solution ? Should I for example set the camera exposure to automatic  and let it sort itself out ?

Thanks

Does the flash not allow more of a modeling light, or turn down the flash and open to f8 or so. Always wondered why some modeling lights were so dim. You can also use a floos light or an LCD lighting panel to help with focusing. Keep it close to the axis of the flash to maintain your lighting. 

It also seems the new firmware has turned down the EVF. I had to reset the EVF level today for my sunglasses. Go to Display Setting, EVF Brightness, you have to look through the EVF to make the setting. Unfortunately it seems to go back to the lower setting when the camera is turned off. If someone has a way to maintain the necessary EVF level, I needed it with sunglasses today but even with out sunglasses it seemed dim on a bright cloudy day.

Edited by tommonego@gmail.com