Best off camera flash/strobe solution for SL2?

Dr. G

I use the Godox XPro trigger for my speedlights and it works very well on all of my Ms, SL, and CL.  I bought the Nikon version as I used to shoot with that brand.  No issues so far, but it will be limited to manual only with no TTL.  Chances are that your current trigger will work, but if you want to play it safe, get the Nikon sku.

TTL is only available with Leica brand flashes and triggers.   But for the cost of a single flash I picked up 3 Godox lights and the XPro.  

Thanks, I'll try it. I already have 1 V1, I need two strobes and either softboxes or umbrellas for product photography.  I may try another V1 first with the S2 Bowens mount and either two umbrellas or a parobolic and a small strip softbox as I'm working fairly close up.  

I’ve got a couple of V860II speedlights and a V350 (that work exceedingly well) and will add a pair of AD200Pro strobes soon.  It’s just a bonus that the XPro also allows group mode, so I can mix in my Fuji GFX 50R with its own settings!  I’m seriously impressed with the Godox line, especially considering the price where I live.  Profoto gets almost a 40% markup!

53 minutes ago, sillbeers15 said:

Nissin MG10 works compatible with Leica commander with TTL & HSS. An alternative to AD200. Cost more than Godox but better built. 

I used the information from your previous posts and now I have two MG10s. Thank you very much for your advice. 
Two MG10 fit into the MagBox 24” reflector and with the lithium batteries they are reliable and fast. 

The MG10 works in TTL and HSS  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by ynp
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, Anakronox said:

Interesting interesting that the MG10s work with TTL, so long as you use a Leica commander.  I like the idea of the bare build head for the Godox AD200Pro though, as I’m not just limited to a fresnel head. 

I don’t use the motorized fresnel attachments on the MG10s when I mount the units into the Magmod parabolic umbrella.  It makes them about 25 percent less powerful than with the fresnel , but they are enough for my kind of shooting.  Used closed to the subject the two units can overpower the sun. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ynp said:

I used the information from your previous posts and now I have two MG10s. Thank you very much for your advice. 
Two MG10 fit into the MagBox 24” reflector and with the lithium batteries they are reliable and fast. 

The MG10 works in TTL and HSS  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Very nice and balance illumination from a single soft box. So you have 360kWs for HSS at your disposal!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wonder if the new Nissin MG8 works with the Leica CF1 controller. I use my SF60, but it’s too slow and cannot be used with the Nissin Powerpack.

The MG8 looks good and it is cheaper than the MG10.Three MGs  will cover my occasional HSS  and travel needs, the rest can be done by regular strobes. 

Edited by ynp

7 hours ago, ynp said:

I wonder if the new Nissin MG8 works with the Leica CF1 controller. I use my SF60, but it’s too slow and cannot be used with the Nissin Powerpack.

The MG8 looks good and it is cheaper than the MG10.Three MGs  will cover my occasional HSS  and travel needs, the rest can be done by regular strobes. 

M8 is not listed on Nissin's FAQ page (but the page may not be fully updated): https://nissindigital.us/pages/nissin-digital-flash-faqs:

USING NISSIN FLASHES WITH LEICA CAMERAS

Q: Can I use the Leica SF C1 Commander with Nissin flashes?

A: The Leica SF C1 Commander will support Nissin Air System (NAS) capable flashes (off-camera only), provided the flashes are updated with the latest firmware. The SF C1 can be used to fire the following Nissin flashes: Di700A, i60A, MG10, MG80 Pro.

Q: Can I use a Nissin flash in the hot shoe of my Leica camera?

A:  No. Nissin flashes do not support the Leica TTL flash system, and they will not work properly when placed in the on-camera hot shoe. For on-camera flash photography you must use a Leica version flash such as the SF 60.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ynp said:

Thank you very much. I missed this FAQ information. 

Yevgeny 

Leica should provide a SF80 (Leica version of MG8) as mounting it on camera hotshoe provides a on camera flash as well as a commander to control other OCF such as MG10, MG8 & SF60. 
I see the use as a light source fired from the camera can help to lift the shadow cast by the OCF key light on portrait application.

• Like 1

not sure why you need a TTL flash since the SL2 has an issue of not firing when shooting into a window or bright location.

I have been waiting for a firmware update for months now. I suppose with the lack of support of other flash brands and buggy SL2 it is only an available light camera or full manual flash