Flashshoe viewfinder, Who uses the 50MM on their film camera

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have been contemplating using a 50mm viewfinder in the flash shoe of my M6 and setting the lens focus at 8 feet with 3,200 ISO film and a smallish F stop, for family candid pics. Have you done this? Was this a good idea? I am thinking of how the early Leica photographers would do this for rapid capture of people.

Since the day that one Barnack's fan showed me (my first look through this incredible VF) his SBOOI,

each time that I can, it's pretext to use one 😁

- SBOOI on 0 Replica is a must

- on CLE when I use 50mm lens, of course

- on IIIg, when I use this very nice 1.2/50 to see the whole framing, not just about 40% in the IIIg's VF

- on the other M, for fun

Exception with 0 Replica, I do use the rangefinder when it's possible then move my eye for framing in the SBOOI

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Torontoamateur said:

I have been contemplating using a 50mm viewfinder in the flash shoe of my M6 and setting the lens focus at 8 feet with 3,200 ISO film and a smallish F stop, for family candid pics. Have you done this? Was this a good idea? I am thinking of how the early Leica photographers would do this for rapid capture of people.

I can see the advantage on an LTM for quicker snaps without focussing (I actually like the finder on my lllf but I know they're not so great for some people), but surely the finder on the M6 is fine for that anyway?

5 hours ago, Torontoamateur said:

The built in finder does give you parralax correction so focusing or not even bothering to focus on close subjects it will be better than a shoe mounted finder. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Stick a 21mm lens on and just point it in the general direction, it's the 50mm that gives you very little DOF for zone focusing and a narrow field of view so composition is hit and miss.

But to answer your question the early Leica photographers (what do you mean by early?) wouldn't do it anything like the way you imagine you are recreating. They focused the image because they had the skill to anticipate a moment about to happen, not react to it while it was happening. I think you are looking for one of those elusive rules of photography that says there are no rules, or skill, just 'spray and pray' and hope you get something.  

On 9/11/2020 at 10:20 PM, Torontoamateur said:

I have IIIc and love using the SBOOI but for what you're describing I prefer to use a 35mm lens, much easier to zone focus and not worry too much about the viewfinder at all, just capture moments with family, it's not so much about perfect framing anyway.

But absolutely with your M6 - f/8, SBOOI, zone focus and you have a pretty dang fine point and shoot camera. It sounds like a great idea. Film is cheap and life is all too short.