M240 in Capture one: improved with a new profile

Alberti

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This week I was looking around in Capture One 20, and stumbled on the profile M240 Generic V2.

This is a great improvement over the normal one. The normal profile gives bland colour and I have always 'blamed' Leica for selling a camera with a senso that is so 'neutral' that many pictures just are bland, dull, and even hard to improve. This always concerns files where the light is undefined overcast, weather in Holland is often like it. Mind you, a ray of sunlight and mostly it is great.

here I have two examples of interior with first the V1  profile and then the V2 profile. This nis a center crop of a standing picture.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Quite an improvement of the rendition, much to my liking. I would with even more enhancement but it is a big step  towards the look of the M10. 

Now I must try to identify the method to have it applied at import.

The results are much better than with Lightroom 6.14 with this profile.

Edited by Alberti

A shot outside, again Rotterdam, the first V1 profile

as said .. rather bland and dull

And then profile V2:

More warmth and slightly enhanced shadows.

• Thanks 1

and here as reference is Lightroom. No adjustments applied.

Sort of like the generic Capture 1 but maybe a slight enhancement might be seen.

Like the statue says, this is the residue of a decadent past.

• anyway, do others share my experience? Many thanks to Capture one, too bad I did not see the potential earlier.

I always produce my own profiles using Pantone ColorChecker software. It is processor independent and imported with all new accessions to my LR catalogue. It is easily possible to fine-tune the profile to your own preference and save that version as your regular profile.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Then consider a no-cost alternative. Take a typical shot. Process normally but tweak your adjustments in hue/saturation/lightness until you achieve the best possible settings that please you. Next, save it as a named profile and apply that to future imports.

Sorry, that is a a no-go for me, I do not know all the parameters, there is more to it than what I see.

It is not for nothing that the brilliant collaboration that led to the M8 also included colour experts.  Also, take Hasselblad, they make very very good profiles.

Japanese companies all love the green cast Fuji-style pictures for sensor and lenses (I had a "grean coated" lens, it was great but that cast a spell on me). I cannot undo that cast. There is a remake of the 35-summicron version 1 with two coatings, one is 'amber', the second blue and that gives sort of Japanese foliage. You cannot convert both images into a common goal for instance, as far as I understand.

On 9/11/2020 at 3:28 AM, Alberti said:

Alas, I have none of that, standard iMac + retina screen. So I'll have to do with the standards.

Have to do?  Only by your own choice.  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PNCPZ8G and software downloaded from the x-rite site will let you create all the profiles you like.  You could create profiles under different lighting conditions for each camera/lens combination you use.  I understand if you choose not to do that. But it is a choice.  I have not bothered creating profiles for some of the camera/lens combos I use.

• Like 2

I like ColorChecker too.  It's very good and easy to use having used it for more than 10 years or so. While said that i have little problem with the M-P auto white balance, spot on, most of the time.

I do find that there is a wide range of tastes in colour fidelity and saturation,  and "truth"...if that's what we are after..So it's all a matter of taste anyway.

The same with B&W...the range of contrast some accept is astounding. 

And you are allowed to have wild mixed colours and super contrasty B&W's anyway...no rules.

• 4 weeks later...

The V2 profile is not new in C1 V20. I think that for landscapes in good light, this profil pronounces yellow and magenta a bit too much. I personally like a more neutral profil as base and I develop the colours from there to my taste. If you like it better... great.

• 1 month later...
On 9/12/2020 at 8:32 PM, wda said:

The cost of the ColorChecker is a trifle compared with the cost of quality cameras and lenses. So it is false economy not to produce your own profiles if colour fidelity is important for you.

I think you are right both.

I found out that I had long ago changed the calibration manually on my iMac retina (manually, on a typical I though shot). Now I have chosen the original again and this really is great. 

It solves my problems of seeing dull colours! Now I see a lot of shining colours again. 

ps what I also did was change the scaling of my Retina screen. It standard does not display the full resolution. I choose one to the right  (system prefs/screen), the utmost right is best but then print gets too small. I can now see the plane of focus and sharpness in general in a greater detail. GREAT. 

I know, sometimes I am an angry old white bald protesting man  🙂

• Like 1