Next lens

Advertisement (gone after registration)

11 hours ago, wda said:

Both subjects can look adorable when engaged with an object (food or a toy), or when asleep. Just seize the moments.

true...but my 9 y/o daughter has so much energy, she puts me to sleep...perhaps she can take pictures of her adorable dad as he sleeps, I promise I won't move! LOL.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jaapv said:

Yes, but in general the APS-C format is not the best option for shallow-DOF photography anyway. I would recommend either an  M/SL with Noctilux or Summilux, or a medium format camera for that discipline. Horses for courses!

That's exactly my take on the value of CL/TL. It is a bridge between the M and P&S. For what CL/TL misses, it's the territory of M, ..., particularly M primes. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, pocholin said:

I'm actually okay with depth of focus. I limit my ISO to 3200 to avoid grainy pics. Perhaps I should try 6400 and do noise reduction in my computer. 

Take into account that I am not a trained photographer, most of the moments I search to capture indoors (at home) are dinner/past dinner time when all I have is a lamp illuminating and no sunlight to supplement. 

If you are shooting indoors moving subject, then you probably really need a faster lens. 

I take a lot of family indoors "P&S", fortunately the subjects are rarely fast moving, or maybe I just consciously avoid the scene with that element.  I found a monopod or a mini pods works pretty well. I just don't liken. flash.   A flash with bouncing off the ceiling or wall may work, but it spoils the mood.

Edited by Einst_Stein
  • Like 1

I started off using my CL with my M primes but since buying three native lenses the M primes are getting little use.

The 55-135 is always in the bag because the main environment for me is equestrian arenas.

There it`s now taken the place of the considerably heavier Canon 70-200/2.8 . 

I still find it difficult to believe that this tiny CL set up can bring in the shots.

Other than that it`s either 23 or (more often now) the 35 .

I guess I should round it off and get a wide but I don`t really shoot wide .

Still an 18 would be useful and it doesn`t take up much space . 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Einst_Stein said:

If you are shooting indoors moving subject, then you probably really need a faster lens. 

I take a lot of family indoors "P&S", fortunately the subjects are rarely fast moving, or maybe I just consciously avoid the scene with that element.  I found a monopod or a mini pods works pretty well. I just don't liken. flash.   A flash with bouncing off the ceiling or wall may work, but it spoils the mood.

I agree, and that is why I recommended to SoCalLeicanator to get a faster lens (faster than the 11-23 since its fastest F is the same as the 18-56). He has two kids that will be moving a lot in the next decade and trying to capture those precious indoor moments without a flash (as you said, it spoils the mood) will be challenging. I got a flash for my CL but I hardly ever use it.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I find the TL35/1.4 quite fast enough for indoor shots.  I always use that rather than the zoom.  The 50mm EFOV and the shallow depth of field provide really good people shots.  It is, of course, a stunning lens at any time.  If you own a Leica CL, the TL35 is a great way to see what it is capable of in a variety of settings, but particularly indoors and at night.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, pocholin said:

I agree, and that is why I recommended to SoCalLeicanator to get a faster lens (faster than the 11-23 since its fastest F is the same as the 18-56). He has two kids that will be moving a lot in the next decade and trying to capture those precious indoor moments without a flash (as you said, it spoils the mood) will be challenging. I got a flash for my CL but I hardly ever use it.

These opportunities deserve the best lens you want! 

You will want the most convenient and fast catching gear. A fast zoom auto everything P&S would be the best bet, such as the newest D-lux or V-lux. 

Edited by Einst_Stein

I bought the CL body only because I already had enough lenses in M and R mount. I have little interest in buying more lenses. 
My most used lens in it is a circa 1972 Summilux 35 f/1.4. It produces very satisfying photos, and is fast for both low light and shallow DoF purposes. It's also very compact and lightweight. This focal length is the normal for APS-C: I always find a fast normal lens to be the most versatile and useful lens in my kit. 
I have several other lenses that are all used about the same amount equally, in both M and R mount. 
G

3 hours ago, ramarren said:

I bought the CL body only because I already had enough lenses in M and R mount. I have little interest in buying more lenses. 
My most used lens in it is a circa 1972 Summilux 35 f/1.4. It produces very satisfying photos, and is fast for both low light and shallow DoF purposes. It's also very compact and lightweight. This focal length is the normal for APS-C: I always find a fast normal lens to be the most versatile and useful lens in my kit. 
I have several other lenses that are all used about the same amount equally, in both M and R mount. 
G

CL is my upgrade of T. I bought T with the same mind set: a cheap M alternative. I use M kenses on it and I am super happy regardless it is mot full frame.

But then the disasters came when my daughter bought me the first native soom. Wow, what a brave new world. A zoom can be that good? it is a previllage I dont have to switch the lens unless I really want to.

The misfortunr continues till I have all three zooms.

1 hour ago, Einst_Stein said:

CL is my upgrade of T. I bought T with the same mind set: a cheap M alternative. I use M kenses on it and I am super happy regardless it is mot full frame.

But then the disasters came when my daughter bought me the first native soom. Wow, what a brave new world. A zoom can be that good? it is a previllage I dont have to switch the lens unless I really want to.

The misfortunr continues till I have all three zooms.

LOL! Well, at the price of even TL lenses, since I have everything I want for the CL as it is, I'd rather buy a new lens or two for my Hasselblad at this point. I only have two of the lenses I'd like for that, where I have over a dozen lenses for the CL that work to my satisfaction. :D 

The adventure continues apace...! 

Great news.  You wont be disappointed.  The TL35 is a fine lens.  Yes it is larger than other TL lenses, but still smaller than most full frame lenses, esp for a 1.4 aperture.

Look forward to seeing your examples in the images thread.

Edited by rob_w

Thanks all.  I've taken a couple of shots, but life has gotten in the way for sure.

I found with the 23 there was a pretty big learning curve and I didn't learn to love it until three months in.  So far, my pics are actually better with the 23, but I know that will change and I look forward to sharing once I have something worthy of posting.