Jump to content

M10 Upgreade to M10-R or not?


TrickyMrT

Recommended Posts

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 10/5/2020 at 1:48 PM, jdlaing said:

No. The A7r4 would be hobbled with a lens wider than 50. 

Not in my case. I experimented with my 24 Lux on the A7rIV with surprisingly good results, same for the 35 FLE. I posted 24 Lux /A7rIV sample images on this forum before. I haven't tried any Leica lenses that were designed for film on my Sony cameras nor have I tried 28mm and wider and from what I read seems something to be avoided.

Leica M cameras and sensors are of course optimal for Leica Lenses followed by the Leica SL system. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, LBJ2 said:

Not in my case. I experimented with my 24 Lux on the A7rIV with surprisingly good results, same for the 35 FLE. I posted 24 Lux /A7rIV sample images on this forum before. I haven't tried any Leica lenses that were designed for film on my Sony cameras nor have I tried 28mm and wider and from what I read seems something to be avoided.

Leica M cameras and sensors are of course optimal for Leica Lenses followed by the Leica SL system. 

I get great results with my 28 Lux on my A1. Too bad the colour science is so ugly. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Steven said:

I get great results with my 28 Lux on my A1. Too bad the colour science is so ugly. 

Good to know. The 28 Lux seems an excellent lens from what I've seen. I don't own any 28mm primes, but don't feel I need to at this point. I do however like the look of the 28 Lux very much. And if one comes along one day it would certainly be a candidate to experiment with my A7rIV.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Back to the OP, if you're thinking about upgrading for greater resolution, have a look at the two-page spread in the lead article in this month's LFI, made with a M10-P.  If you think you need more resolution after looking at that, then go for the M10-R.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 9/11/2020 at 12:27 PM, agencal said:

I had m10 before and now m10r.I use 50mm apo and zeiss biogon c 35mm f2.8.After used and tried all current m line i found these to be the sharpest of all.What changed after m10r?

M10’s per pixel sharpness was better.There is more resolution for R but not sharper.You need to increase sharpness slider at least to 65 to get the same amount of ğer pixel sharpness(40 is default) at photpshop.

M10 has that well known clearence which makes the obkects pop.I don’t see it with R.Also M10 is contrastier.Maybe increased dynamic range makes it look less contrasty becouse of increased shadow detail.

Awb of M10 is better especially at shadow places.Awb of R makes a greenish color cast to every file at shade places.

So if you need more resolution and like to give some time to raw conversion then cropable size of R files are good for you.Nothing more special.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello- I have the same thoughts. I have an M10.  My biggest complaint is the shutter noise, I need the quietest shutter I can find, shooting behind scenes work.  Also, trade in vs selling on your own.  My M10 is also in mint condition.  Would love to hear best ways to get the most $ for it? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I went from the M10 to the R. I wasn’t sure at first, but after spending two months with the R and getting accustomed to the files. It’s better in every respect than my m10. The highlight recovery potential is absolutely insane. I think I’ve blown out highlights once, and that was because the sky was 6 or 7 stops over exposed. 
 

The files also hold up a lot better to editing. They have a lot more latitude in how you go about editing contrast curves and exposure. This has been my experience with higher resolution sensors in general though. 

Edited by Oswalt
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2021 at 3:00 PM, Oswalt said:

I went from the M10 to the R. I wasn’t sure at first, but after spending two months with the R and getting accustomed to the files. It’s better in every respect than my m10. The highlight recovery potential is absolutely insane. I think I’ve blown out highlights once, and that was because the sky was 6 or 7 stops over exposed. 
 

The files also hold up a lot better to editing. They have a lot more latitude in how you go about editing contrast curves and exposure. This has been my experience with higher resolution sensors in general though. 

This is great news. Both the highlight recovery and malleability of the files are great points, worthy of the upgrade. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been shooting Leica cameras for over 45 years now, I shot my M10 and a R today with my M lenses side by side at Capture Intergration in Atlanta  (super outfit: professional photographers giving honest advice do yourself an enormous favor and check them out) and I did see NOOOOO reason to trade up neither did they, ONLY if you want to go big big print 30"+ you might want to consider it. We compared the shots side by side in Capture One!    By the way Capture one is the way to go, really!!!

Wanna see something truly amazing : Hasselblad 907 oh Lordy lord !  I'm going spend my planned R upgrade money on that one and then some, don't worry I'll take my Leica into my next life.

Ron

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ron Sik said:

I have been shooting Leica cameras for over 45 years now, I shot my M10 and a R today with my M lenses side by side at Capture Intergration in Atlanta  (super outfit: professional photographers giving honest advice do yourself an enormous favor and check them out) and I did see NOOOOO reason to trade up neither did they, ONLY if you want to go big big print 30"+ you might want to consider it. We compared the shots side by side in Capture One!    By the way Capture one is the way to go, really!!!

Wanna see something truly amazing : Hasselblad 907 oh Lordy lord !  I'm going spend my planned R upgrade money on that one and then some, don't worry I'll take my Leica into my next life.

Ron

 

For every opinion like yours there is one like mine. The files to me exceed the M10s files enough that I’m willing to deal with needing faster shutter speeds. (I’m over that now that I’m used to it). 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am so happy that with M10-R I don't have to base underexpose by 1 stop or more.

With the M10-P I was always disappointed in skies and reflection just been with no data..

M10-R is very capable 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

this was taken with 21 SEM, for some reason the color vignetting is corrected much less then on SL2 :blink:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Ron Sik said:

I have been shooting Leica cameras for over 45 years now, I shot my M10 and a R today with my M lenses side by side at Capture Intergration in Atlanta  (super outfit: professional photographers giving honest advice do yourself an enormous favor and check them out) and I did see NOOOOO reason to trade up neither did they, ONLY if you want to go big big print 30"+ you might want to consider it. We compared the shots side by side in Capture One!    By the way Capture one is the way to go, really!!!

Wanna see something truly amazing : Hasselblad 907 oh Lordy lord !  I'm going spend my planned R upgrade money on that one and then some, don't worry I'll take my Leica into my next life.

Ron

 

Here we go, another made up mind after trying a camera for five minutes. 

Curious about the 907 though... 

Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Photoworks said:

I am so happy that with M10-R I don't have to base underexpose by 1 stop or more.

With the M10-P I was always disappointed in skies and reflection just been with no data..

M10-R is very capable 

this was taken with 21 SEM, for some reason the color vignetting is corrected much less then on SL2 :blink:

 

21 sem is on my list of next lenses to get. Do you find the color vignetting to be enough of a problem to avoid the lens with the R? Are you doing anything to fix it in post? I do agree with what you said about the R. Highlight recovery and base ISO of 100 are what this sensor really excels at compared to the M10/M10P/M10D. The extra resolution is nice, but not nearly as useful in day to day use.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Crem said:

21 sem is on my list of next lenses to get. Do you find the color vignetting to be enough of a problem to avoid the lens with the R? Are you doing anything to fix it in post? I do agree with what you said about the R. Highlight recovery and base ISO of 100 are what this sensor really excels at compared to the M10/M10P/M10D. The extra resolution is nice, but not nearly as useful in day to day use.

Different lens, but I had a 21mm CV Color-Skopar f4 that I never used on my 240 due to the color vignetting it exhibited. On the M10R... no color vignetting, the lens has become awesome for a lightweight landscape lens... (Coded as a 21mm 2.8 Elmarit)

 (code

Link to post
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Crem said:

21 sem is on my list of next lenses to get. Do you find the color vignetting to be enough of a problem to avoid the lens with the R? Are you doing anything to fix it in post? I do agree with what you said about the R. Highlight recovery and base ISO of 100 are what this sensor really excels at compared to the M10/M10P/M10D. The extra resolution is nice, but not nearly as useful in day to day use.

The M10-R is great, very happy with it. the Noise is even better and colors are so natural now.

here is the picture processes in Capture one using LCC profile. Problem gone.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The 21 SEM is a good lens, it comes real good at f5-6 to f8, at f11 refraction is already softening the image.

I have tested Voigtlander Color-Skopar 21mm f/3.5 Aspherical Lens it is a good lens, but the 21 SEm get better details on M10-R

The M10-R create a 44MB  DNG file, it seams to be harder to edit. SL2 files are 80MB DNG, but much smother to edit. I wonder is M10-R have a compression that makes better to shoot and harder to edit.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...

 

 

On 9/9/2020 at 1:47 PM, jplomley said:

I see a big difference in print quality with the M10-R at 17x22/16x24 since I can now print at a native resolution of 360 ppi rather than the 240 ppi the 24 MP sensor limited me to and which always creates artifacts. I’m able to shoot the M10-R handheld at 1/30th with my 35 FLE without any noteworthy repercussions. All of my lenses seem to perform better as well; these include the 21 SEM Asph, 28 Cron Asph v2, 35 Lux Asph FLE and 50 Lux ASPH. They all resolve beautifully and for reasons I can’t explain, images seem more life-like. Prints are very very close to MF quality. So for someone like myself that has standardized on 17x22/16x24 inch prints, I will never go back to 24 MP. The trade of my M10 to M10-R was worth every penny, and in fact I’m now eyeing the M10M as a result. 

Excuse my ignorance but what does "MF" quality stand for?  Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just saw this thread, I upgraded as I use a 28/35/50 MATE as a single lens for travel and thought it would be a good move.  After a couple of trips I am not disappointed.  I have read that increased resolution might accentuate the aberrations of older lenses, but I have not seen that with the MATE.  Worth it for me.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...