Time to say hello....

Rhys

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi folks, I'm Rhys originally from York and now living near Goole. I joined a little while ago to ask questions and read up on 'stuff', and now I'm posting a 'hello' as of since earlier today my first ever Leica arrived. It might not be the latest digital, or even an 'M', but it's mine and I'm chuffed to bits with it.

It's going to take a little while to get used to it, and I've managed to put a roll of film in it with no problems as far as I know 🙄😊 it might be an old roll of Kodak 200 iso (many years out of date) but it's a practice roll and it'll do to give it (and me..) a little test.

Here's an unboxing vid...

I've never done one before, but thought since it's special (as I've always wanted a Leica), it'll be something to look back on.

Bit of background..

Loved photography sine i was young enough to hold a camera. My late mum gave me her old Kodak Instamatic 110 when I was a school and that was it. Had a Minolta Dynax 5000i as my first proper camera, then Canon EOS cameras (1000fn. 100 and 5) then jumped ship to Nikon with an F4E. Did a Photography degree in Middlesbrough using mainly old, vintage roll film Zeiss Ikons and Pentax Spotmatics plus Hasselblads (eventually owning one), graduating in '99, then went into plastering... 🙄

Went digital with a D1x, D300 and finally a D3s. Backache from lugging it around got me onto Fuji with the X-Pro2 (fantastic camera!) But a yearning for film again has brought me full circle.. I may sell my Nikon cameras and lenses to buy an 'M', but small steps (and viewfinders) first. 😎

I'm driving to Poland very shortly so hopefully will take some pics while I'm there. My other half is Polish, and we're going to stop in the deep, rural countryside for a week to visit family.

Cheers all, and look forward to joining in on my journey.

Rhys

• Like 2

Also giving my ancient lightmeter some use... Been in the garden earlier trying to figure out how to set it up since it doesn't use ASA, DIN or ISO.. Apparently 160 is similar to 200 ASA in Weston Units..

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Been comparing exposures to my Fuji X-Pro2 to get the hang of it and think I've sussed it out.

Next will be either a Keks meter to fit on top of the iiif, or a Minolta IV meter (or similar). Used to have a Gossen Lunasix until it got pinched, and never needed one since until now 🙄

• Like 1

Viewfinder is a bit small on the rangefinder, but it's bright and easily focussed. The Summitar is practically spotless inside and very clean on the outside save for some brassing where it's been pushed in and out. Think I've got a good'un.

Results won't be anything special as I'll just shoot any old rubbish to use the film up to see what the lens is like and if I can get the hang of metering again lol. Riding a bike and all that I guess. but still a bit rusty.

Going to order some black & white film as that's what I like (and shoot almost entirely using the Across + red filter setting on the Fuji). Going to look up the Summitar group on Flickr to see what film folks are using to get the best of the lens.