Question for Mac Mini 2018 users

jaapv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, zeitz said:

Apple's desire to have unique/better connections causes confusion and incompatibility.  Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt 2 do use a Mini Display Port connector, but the protocols for a display port signal to a monitor and for a Thunderbolt signal to a Thunderbolt device are different.  The Mac hardware and software accounts for the differences and works (usually).  It becomes even more confusing with Thunderbolt 3.  The TB3 and USB-C connector is the same, but the protocol is different.  It is so different that not all USB-C cables work this TB3.  TB3 is a subset of USB-C because the USB-C spec allows for unique protocols.  So far TB3 is the only unique protocol within the USB-C universe.

I am getting way out on a limb here with regard to my knowledge.  Please do correct me if I am not understanding this right.

Apple's latest way to irritate me is that my new iPad Pro has a USB-C connector, but it is not Thunderbolt 3.  The iPad Pro is a USB-C.  You may say "who cares".  But wouldn't it be nice to just connect the iPad Pro to my MacMIni or to my graphics card to get Sidecar?  No, a common iCloud connection has to be running on both the Mac and the iPad.  And the Sidecar data is wireless.

Probably why I still use a 2009 Mac desktop.

Jeff

• Like 1

Thats very fine as long its software and hardware works for you.
Due to some clients needs and growing file size (some PSDs exceed 20GB) i had to update my hardware last year .
The mac mini with e GPU is a good solution even for professional PSD work.
I think only when doing massive video post or giga panorama retouching you need a bigger workstation like the new MacPro, the iMac Pro or a PC in that size…

• Like 1

vor 13 Minuten schrieb LocalHero1953:

A good thread for warning people against buying Apple stuff.😉

Go PC & Windows 10 - software and interfaces just work.......

I find there is no need for that old Apple vs PC fight anymore. Both plattforms have their pros and cons.
I would not buy a MacBook at the moment. It seems to be not reliable enough, is too thin hence not enough connectors gets too hot and too expensive for what they bring.
The iMac is OK, but i do not like hardware which is a closed and glued box. The new MacPro is too expensive for me. A PC with that hardware would cost almost the same btw…
Only the Mac mini is the mac i would recommend today.
The trend to solder the SSD and other parts on the Mainboard will make me perhaps switch to a PC in future
But for me as grown up with the Apple OS it is much easier to fix something if there is some trouble with the OS.
At windows OS, at what i have no clue about, i had to call a IT-technican.
And yes, i like the OSX much better and i am faster with it. Working with windows i feel like working left handed
But that is not because OSX is really so much better than windows. It is because i am used with it for about 30 years…

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes i understand 😉 i do not like that trend to tiny connectors either . I recently had problems with my very fast and expensive SSD Raid. Some PSDs were corrupted and had defect parts  and lines in the layers. It was a pure horror and only my timemachine and CCC backup saved me.
After daylong tests what the reason for that defect could be, it was the tiny plug in my TB-cable.
When i saved or copied a psd to the external SSD-Raid and moved slightly at the cable the defects occured.
Now with a new cable it is all running smooth. 
I like when things are a bit chunky but strong instead of tiny and weak…

• Thanks 2

Before i got my mac mini i had a hackintosh. It was a very powerful workstation on PC basis. 
But unfortunately it is quite a hassle to keep it updated. I am not so good in IT-things and i am dependent on a secure running machine.
Thats why i switched back to Apple.
But as a hobbyist i would go the hackintosh route again…

• Thanks 1

Same with me, only with the help of the patiently guys at the hackintosh forum i managed to set up my hack. It took about 10 evenings, tons of mails and massive swearing till it runs smooth.
But than after4 years of using it i had to update to 10.14. and the machines hardware was too old to do it easy and i switched back to apple.
 Linux does not support Adobe CC or has that changed?

1 hour ago, verwackelt said:

Same with me, only with the help of the patiently guys at the hackintosh forum i managed to set up my hack. It took about 10 evenings, tons of mails and massive swearing till it runs smooth.
But than after4 years of using it i had to update to 10.14. and the machines hardware was too old to do it easy and i switched back to apple.
 Linux does not support Adobe CC or has that changed?

The Adobe stuff does not work on Linux to my knowledge.  Running a Windows or MacOS virtual machine to use Adobe would defeat the purpose of going to Linux.  Linux would require a whole new set of tools to do photo editing.  The attraction of this option is to go totally open source.

44 minutes ago, stunsworth said:

If possible I wouldn’t buy anything until the Apple ARM roadmap becomes clear.

Apple silicon will likely be used in all updates to Macs going forward.  You can already buy a Developer Tool Kit MacMini that uses Apple's ARM.  But Intel Macs will be supported for a long time after the last one is sold, which hasn't happened yet.  To get out of this cycle of questioning when to update a Mac, I lease on a two year upgrade cycle.  My Apple value-added reseller accepts the risk of a computer's residual value after two years.