2020 "Covid-special" Global "Not-The-One" Challenge - details and theme

andybarton

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I didn't get much due to needing to be at a viewing and only a couple of places I could get to afterwards plus the really bad weather/light but there's a couple that I'm trying to choose between. I tend to over think it, what I prefer as to what I think others will prefer! All part of the fun!

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, earleygallery said:

I tend to over think it, what I prefer as to what I think others will prefer! All part of the fun!

Be true to yourself (wasn’t that a Beach Boys song?). If you try to second guess what other people will like you’ll probably fail.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Here in Melbourne we are enduring, so far, over 100 days of lockdown. Hopefully later today our Premier will announce an easing of restrictions, starting tomorrow.

Part of The Challenge here has been how to interpret 'With Water' under lockdown. Fortunately for me I have a technique that allows for such restrictions that I have mostly practiced on past One Challenges.  In this instance, lockdown actually simplified my challenge.

Good luck to all and remember to choose your pic that YOU like. There is no accounting for the taste of others! 😁

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, 105012 said:

I have submitted a picture to Andy which was my first choice, but on sharing a selection from the roll with family and friends they universally preferred a different one :) Oh well, it is for fun right?

You are the photographer! Trust your own judgement. Would you trust your motor mechanic to advise on your legal issues? 😁

You are right. It is for fun.

P.S. I am convinced I rejected my best one. LOL.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, octo said:

Still waiting, mulling over; due to a singular lack of inspiration I didn't even finish the roll. Really looking forward to see what you came out with!

Philippe, I have confidence in your past winning style. Trust your own judgement, then we will judge you. 😉

• Thanks 2

Well, if one wants to exchange the picture after submission, chances are, that the wish will come up to change it back or to a third picture a few days later.  For the submission, it might be worth to look at the pictures again a few days later, but in the end, the best approach appears to be to make a decision and to stick to it. Thinking back about former challenges, I would most likely hand in the same picture again. Photography, although using objectives, is actually highly subjective (if you excuse this one).

And in the end, there will be another Challenge next year and the year after :)

Stefan

• Like 2

Stefan is right. I have two other pics that may be better than my submission, but I stick with the first one because that was my intention.

I think in most previous Challenges I was always like that.

Send in those entries and good luck to all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, andybarton said:

Just a reminder everyone. 

One Challenge

One camera

One film / 36 shots

One lens

One photo

No substitutions, so choose your best one carefully! (I have to be fair to everyone)

Thanks. 

For the newbies, we traditionally have an 'outtakes' thread after the results and winners are announced. It's always fun to see the other shots that people might have submitted (and I often think 'why didn't you choose THAT one!').

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, earleygallery said:

For the newbies, we traditionally have an 'outtakes' thread after the results and winners are announced. It's always fun to see the other shots that people might have submitted (and I often think 'why didn't you choose THAT one!').

I often think photographers are their own worst editors!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, earleygallery said:

It's an awesome idea. 

43 minutes ago, erl said:

I often think photographers are their own worst editors!

True and not, depending on the case. I usually think I make the right choices, but I also see some cases where not. For example, I really believe that to find the "best" photo, in one film only (36ish), is easy. That's why the first decisions we make should be the right ones. What do you think? That's why right after an assignment, when it is possible, I make the culling because my memories are still fresh in my mind. 

Edited by Dennis