2020 "Covid-special" Global "Not-The-One" Challenge - details and theme

andybarton

14 hours ago, erl said:

This could be the 'Challenge' to end all challenges for me. Currently we are in stage 4 lockdown and it has just been extended for another 2 weeks. Lateral thinking needed me thinks.

H John, sorry to hear.  Just looked up the Melbourne stage 4 restrictions and the good news seems to be:

1.  Bottle shops are open;

2.  You can exercise on the beach for one hour between 5am and 8pm; 

3. You can do grocerie shopping at the beach; and 

4. Buy a bottle of beer and enjoy at home while reviewing the shots just taken.

That should provide a 2hour window near the water! Just trying to help you out here!

😊

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

On 9/8/2020 at 10:09 AM, erl said:

This could be the 'Challenge' to end all challenges for me. Currently we are in stage 4 lockdown and it has just been extended for another 2 weeks. Lateral thinking needed me thinks.

Fingers crossed we’ll be at Step 2 of our route back to new COVID-normal, which means we’ll have two hours to find some water within 5 km of home. Gardiners Creek? The pond in Hedgeley Dene? 

• Like 1

I may be forced to revert yo my usual 'Challenge' technique which basically dictates, 'eliminate as many variables as possible'. That means an indoor shot as we are expecting bad weather and rain on Saturday. That in itself would not stop me but, I am somewhat hesitant to venture out on Saturday as too many people are not obeying 'covid safe' practice and the 'weekend warriors' are a real problem, IMO, around here.

1 minute ago, erl said:

I may be forced to revert yo my usual 'Challenge' technique which basically dictates, 'eliminate as many variables as possible'. That means an indoor shot as we are expecting bad weather and rain on Saturday. That in itself would not stop me but, I am somewhat hesitant to venture out on Saturday as too many people are not obeying 'covid safe' practice and the 'weekend warriors' are a real problem, IMO, around here.

It’s on 10 October. Hopefully, COVID cases are down by then in Melbourne.

2 minutes ago, Joachim_I said:

It’s on 10 October. Hopefully, COVID cases are down by then in Melbourne.

Oops! I'm in a time warp. I thought the Challenge was tomorrow!

This lockdown is  playing with my brain. Thanks for the correction. 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, erl said:

Oops! I'm in a time warp. I thought the Challenge was tomorrow!

This lockdown is  playing with my brain. Thanks for the correction. 👍

If you’ve seen the BOM forecast for tomorrow, the theme of by water may be easy to arrange. 💦

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

About the prize pot (or lack thereof). In previous years, a lot of winners have chosen to donate their prize pot to their favourite charity. Could I have the temerity to suggest that we have an entry fee whereby each entrant, as well as nominating their ISO, focal length, etc., also nominates a charity to donate what would have been their entry fee (€10 or whatever) and undertakes themselves, obviously on trust, to make that donation? Just a thought.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, masjah said:

About the prize pot (or lack thereof). In previous years, a lot of winners have chosen to donate their prize pot to their favourite charity. Could I have the temerity to suggest that we have an entry fee whereby each entrant, as well as nominating their ISO, focal length, etc., also nominates a charity to donate what would have been their entry fee (€10 or whatever) and undertakes themselves, obviously on trust, to make that donation? Just a thought.

An interesting idea John. The reservation I have is that theoretically, this comp will attract considerably more than the 'usual suspects' who are accustomed to experiencing the considerable benefits of meeting live and competing together (and eating and drinking together!) and thereby automatically feel the benefit of the nominal fee for entry.

For first time competitors, in isolation, I suspect the fee would not be attractive. I would like to think this current scenario we are all suffering could be a device to attract many more members to future real world encounters, by competing 'in situ' in this instance. In that scenario, the addition of say 10 Euro/Dollars to the cost of international travel to the chosen destination for the competition is but 'tip money'. 😁

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, erl said:

An interesting idea John. The reservation I have is that theoretically, this comp will attract considerably more than the 'usual suspects' who are accustomed to experiencing the considerable benefits of meeting live and competing together (and eating and drinking together!) and thereby automatically feel the benefit of the nominal fee for entry.

For first time competitors, in isolation, I suspect the fee would not be attractive. I would like to think this current scenario we are all suffering could be a device to attract many more members to future real world encounters, by competing 'in situ' in this instance. In that scenario, the addition of say 10 Euro/Dollars to the cost of international travel to the chosen destination for the competition is but 'tip money'. 😁

Erl, that's a good point. I guess we could make it just a suggestion for a voluntary contribution. Part of my reason for making the suggestion was that the contribution would resonate with memories of previous challenges for those who had previously taken part.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2