SL2 : Buffer size

umosydney

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I just got the SL2 couple of weeks ago. Upgrading from SL1, I expect the buffer size of DNG to be more than SL1. But it turns out the buffer of shooting DNG in hi speed burst is 26. I am using UHSii Sandisk with 300mb/s. Many reviews I have read claimed that 78 raw files can be taken with burst mode. 

I have tried to change the DNG file to JPG but the maximum buffer I can get is 44.

Anyone has comments about this

Thanks

You would know  that each DNG from the SL2 is about 80MB? Much larger than from the SL for example, as you would expect.

As well as the buffer capacity, your continuous maximum frame rate can also be affected by the shutter type and speed that you have selected.

I tend to shoot rapid series in studio, it’s very rare that I have to wait for the buffer to clear.That is a frame on single shot every 2 or 3 seconds for a series of maybe 10-20 frames. Perhaps 500 to a 1000 images in a half day shoot. I don’t use any continuous series.

Perhaps depends on what you are shooting if you need a continuous burst of more than those 26 frames you mention?  In approximate numbers that equates to about the 2GB of the buffer. Depending on the image content and quality setting of JPEG those files are much smaller of course..

Edited by hoppyman

The buffer is 4 GB  (RTFM).  :unsure::rolleyes:

I suggest you do a simple test. Choose fully electronic shutter and highest frame rate (20 pics/s). Set the camera to manual focus or use a manual lens. Then press the shutter for 4 seconds (4 s burst shooting). Afterwards count the number of pictures that have been taken. It should be about 80. (After everything has been written to sd card.)

Do it in bright light, so that the shutter speed is short (< 1/1000 s).

Edited by caissa

RTFM is not very polite if that’s aimed at my mention of 2GB?

And yes, page 216 of the manual does show 4GB. My mistake based on other cameras.

The manual does indicate a number of other conditions and limitations affecting continuous series as well as the shutter type and speed mentioned too.

I never need or shoot continuous frames In my style of photography. I hope the rest of my post has some useful information for the original poster. 

Edited by hoppyman

• 6 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have the SL2. Manual focus lens. Plenty of shutter speed. Whatever shutter mode I choose, the max frames I can get is 26 in burst mode. On the SL, the max I get is 33 frames. Not only are these low numbers relative to many other cameras, the time it takes to clear the buffer is LONG. So yeah, you can shoot 10 or 20 fps, but only for 1-3 seconds and then you have to wait up to 30 seconds for it to clear?! PCMag wrote about this quite simply / frankly in their SL2 review... 

It is simply not an action camera.

The camera has some impressive burst shooting capabilities too. It can fire off shots at 20fps with the fully electronic shutter, and manages a little bit better than 10fps with the mechanical shutter. But the SL2 locks focus in for a sequence, so if you're trying to capture a moving subject, you'll get a speedy burst of misfocused images. The buffer is good for about 30 Raw or Raw+JPG shots, or about 50 JPGs, and requires about 30 seconds to clear to a 300MBps memory card when shooting Raw and 15 seconds when working in JPG format.

You'll need to drop to the medium burst rate for the SL2 to acquire focus for every shot. Doing so slows the capture rate to a more down-to-earth 5.8fps. It does well locking onto a target as it moves away and toward the lens.

Edited by fzero

I have the sl and sl2. With a manual focus lens, and plenty of shutter speed, regardless of which shutter mode I choose, the max frame burst is 26 DNG in burst mode on the SL2 and not much more on the SL. On the SL2 in jpeg I get more like 50 frames - that's it. PCMag wrote about the buffer in their review as the following, which is accurate against my tests...

---

The camera has some impressive burst shooting capabilities too. It can fire off shots at 20fps with the fully electronic shutter, and manages a little bit better than 10fps with the mechanical shutter. But the SL2 locks focus in for a sequence, so if you're trying to capture a moving subject, you'll get a speedy burst of misfocused images. The buffer is good for about 30 Raw or Raw+JPG shots, or about 50 JPGs, and requires about 30 seconds to clear to a 300MBps memory card when shooting Raw and 15 seconds when working in JPG format.

You'll need to drop to the medium burst rate for the SL2 to acquire focus for every shot. Doing so slows the capture rate to a more down-to-earth 5.8fps. It does well locking onto a target as it moves away and toward the lens.

--

It's good to hear the SL2-S is better, but none of them are action cameras - in my experience of shooting with them, they just can't shoot a burst and clear the memory fast enough to resume - at least for me. Shoot in burst mode at 10fps for a couple seconds, and then you have to wait 10-30 seconds to shoot more? Whatever you were trying to catch is long gone, and the AF can't keep up at all either.

In my experience it is cleverer to use several short burst instead of a single long burst of several seconds.

Maybe you try this. Then the focus should be alright again at the beginning of each burst. For me this works good enough. If not then you should maybe buy a Canon or Sony. (There are so many adds you cannot miss to choose the right one - the most expensive of course.). 🤓😷🤔🤧