Lifetime of a Leica Q2?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I primarily use my Leica Q2 for travelling and it has been great in spots throughout the world but I don't use it much back at home, I typically take the battery out and leave it stored.  

Just curious, I think the Leica Q2 is perfect for my needs and I can see it being used specifically for the type of leisure/hobbyist/travel photography that I am doing, assuming I don't need a bigger sensor or faster specs in the future, realistically how long can this Leica Q2 last assuming you can get new batteries for it.  

Is there anything special that should be done to increase the life of my q2

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, slashtom said:

I primarily use my Leica Q2 for travelling and it has been great in spots throughout the world but I don't use it much back at home, I typically take the battery out and leave it stored.  

Just curious, I think the Leica Q2 is perfect for my needs and I can see it being used specifically for the type of leisure/hobbyist/travel photography that I am doing, assuming I don't need a bigger sensor or faster specs in the future, realistically how long can this Leica Q2 last assuming you can get new batteries for it.  

Is there anything special that should be done to increase the life of my q2? 

Take it with you everyday and use the hell out of it. That way you will know many years in the future that you got the maximum value out of it, and it was never a camera bag queen.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Le Chef said:

Take it with you everyday and use the hell out of it. That way you will know many years in the future that you got the maximum value out of it, and it was never a camera bag queen.

True.. I gotta get in that mindset.  although I haven't been going out much these days.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Don’t expect to get thirty years out of it like you might with a Leica M or R. As with all digital cameras, parts will eventually become a problem. Neither you nor Leica will be able to source that LCD or the EVF or the sensor or even the battery after some period of time. Leica almost certainly does a lifetime buy on key components when the manufacturer announces EOL, but even so they will eventually run out. I think you can safely assume you will get ten years out of the camera—parts will be available. You could get lucky and have your camera last significantly longer than that as long as you can source batteries. But I wouldn’t count on it. Plan for ten years and perhaps you will be pleasantly surprised with a longer life. You’ll probably want a different camera within ten years, anyway. There always seem to be advances in that time period that will actually add something to your photography. For example, megapixel counts high enough that digital zoom is more effective. Or perhaps advances in computational photography that allow better control over depth of field. Maybe advances in chip design that lower read noise and thermal noise to essentially zero. Maybe it will be real-time in-camera alignment and stacking. Or in-camera focus stacking for that perfect macro shot. Or maybe it will be time-of-flight AF systems that are essentially perfect. Perhaps it’ll be incorporating video into every shot so that “decisive moment” photography becomes simple. Who knows what the next killer feature(s) will be in digital stills photography, but they’re going to happen. The medium is still too young to stand still all that long.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2020 at 5:12 PM, slashtom said:

Based on what you said the camera should last you a lifetime. Generally speaking. Leaving a camera in a bag and not using it ensures it will have to wear and tear. Store it in a low humidity room.

I would just use it as an everyday carry and enjoy the results.  And, use some common sense and precautions.  I have owned mine for over a year, and having traveled for an extended international trip using daily as my walkaround camera and otherwise using it weekly (I am an enthusiast, not a pro), I have had zero problems with the camera.  Only a little paint wear that adds character.  My history is I tend to update or upgrade cameras every few years.  With the solid build and specs of the Q2, I can see keeping it for at least a decade.  It could outlast me.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2020 at 11:12 PM, slashtom said:

I typically take the battery out and leave it stored.  

I would NOT do it like that: if the camera is not used for a long time, the chance is that the internal battery will be empty completely: it then will take a long time to charge to a useable level, and you will have lost all settings, including the photo count and the date/time. So use it regularly is the best advice I can give you.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2020 at 4:10 AM, rivi1969 said:

My M8 is 13 years young, my Canon 5D almost 15, both still look and work like new, but I don't abuse my gear. 

There's no reason a Q2 cannot be functional and usable for 13 years, too. 

Use your Q2 every day, take reasonable care of it - its lifespan will surprise you.   Use and abuse are two distinctly different things.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2020 at 5:12 PM, slashtom said:

yes certainly. A shot of Casa Azul tequila every afternoon at 5 will do that.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 9/9/2020 at 3:52 PM, Jared said:

Perhaps it’ll be incorporating video into every shot so that “decisive moment” photography becomes simple.

That has already existed for years. Google post-focus. And pre-burst, both by Panasonic.

On 9/7/2020 at 7:12 AM, slashtom said:

Just as much you can rely on the Q2 weather sealing doesnt mean its weather proof. It can most likely protect it from invasive however pervasive weather is another thing. Just be mindful of moisture. Temperarure differentials can cause condensation inside the body/lens Good practice to 'acclimatise' your gear

All the best

• Like 1