First everyday lens suggestions for SL typ 601

nico4444

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 minutes ago, nico4444 said:

I am assuming the Crons are SL APOs, which if it is the case, it would make your set of lenses incredibly enviable.

I am indeed very fortunate, no argument there.  But, for me, the 'cron APO lenses where the whole point of buying into the L mount in the first place. I wouldn't have bought into the system otherwise.

These lens are indeed as expensive as they are spectacular, but they serve as the core of a system I expect to shoot with for many, many years. Bodies come and go, but assuming you don't become disenchanted with the system, good glass will be with you over the very long haul. Those years takes a bit of the sting out of the price tag after a while. But far more important,  I tend to wind up shooting thousands of frames a year with optics I love, as opposed to a few hundred with those I don't. The cost per shot tilts dramatically, becoming pennies a capture over the lifetime of the lens. In the end, an expensive optic you use is a far better value proposition than a cheaper one you don't. After 10 months with the 75mm, half a year with the 35, I've shot roughly 8000 frames between the two. By year's end I'll be under a $1 a capture for the pair.  That doesn't alter the entry fee of course, but usage does speak to the wisdom or foolishness of having ponied up in the first place.

When it comes to photographic gear, there are easily as many paths to misery as there are happiness. The less enjoyable ones have taught me over time that glass selection is key. I avoided the L until the intro of the alliance, as there simply was no clear path forward early on unless one committed to zooms, which, as an M shooter, I was unprepared to do. I entered, once I was convinced that a satisfying set of optics could be assembled over time.  The crucial decision became whether to build around the 35/75 pairing, versus 50/90. Everything else would follow from that. In my case, the deciding factor came down to complimenting the glass I had available on my M, not merely from a focal length POV, but a character one as well. Certainly your calculations will be different. But given you're already in the L fold and assuming you've committed to it long term, I'd take a deep breadth and consider where you'd like to be in a couple of years. Figuring out where you want to wind up over time might help shed substantial light on the best course of action today. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Tailwagger said:

Certainly your calculations will be different. But given you're already in the L fold and assuming you've committed to it long term, I'd take a deep breadth and consider where you'd like to be in a couple of years. Figuring out where you want to wind up over time might help shed substantial light on the best course of action today. 

Thank you for your thoughtful and wise post. 

• Like 1

@Tailwagger ...there are easily as many paths to misery as there are happiness.

I appreciated reading this last note and perspective, but these words rang particularly true when I read them a few moments ago.  This is such a good reminder, not only with the photographic pursuit but life encompassed. 

I also find myself seeking the right direction with the SL glass and investment. I found a great price for the SL body a while back to “try it” and the potential. I find it to be an incredibly versatile approach, and it just works for me. I’ve struggled with some M focusing as a right eye astigmatism seems to be worsening. The EVF helps me overcome that. I struggle with the letting go of the M and it’s simplicity, and there is admittedly a bit of a romantic draw to the system that I finally jumped in to. But it is probably time to take those funds and buy proper SL glass.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/4/2020 at 1:29 AM, nico4444 said:

From what I’ve seen, the Leica R 80 and Voigtlander 75 f1.5 are both soft with superb micro-contrast and I don’t know if getting a lens coincidentally ideal for female portraiture (I’m not talking about models, just ordinary people) is a good enough reason alone.

I don't own it so I can't speak from personal experience, but as far as I know the Voigtlander 75 is relatively soft only at 1.5 and very sharp when stopped down. I've seen people using it for landscape work, so it's not a portrait only lens.

• Like 1