Leica Books

hirohhhh

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Is there any book about Leica, photography, company history that you'd recommend? I've seen couple on Amazon, but would like to hear some recommendations before I made a purchase. Of course, it shouldn't have to be any of those sold on Amazon, just whatever you found good. It could be also a photography book featuring Leica photographers throughout the history.

You can find a brief history here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leica_Camera

There is very good coverage of history in Puts 'Leica  Compendium' and Laney's 'Collectors Guide', but both are only available secondhand and not cheap.

You may find a new copy of Leica's own 'Eyes Wide Open -100 Years of Leica Photography' that is also a good general history.

You can look at specific areas of history, such as 'Oscar Barnack - from the idea to the Leica' by Ulf Richter, Knut-Leitz's books on the individual Leitz's (German only texts) or Frank Dabba-Smith's 'The Freedom Train'

Sure there are many others!

Edited by pedaes

• 4 months later...

@hirohhhh  I received this book as a Christmas gift.  It is truly excellent:  https://leicastoremiami.com/collections/books/products/oskar-barnack-from-the-idea-to-the-leica?variant=31238538231939

I would highly recommend it.

(Attention forum police wannabes:  Yes, I am well aware that this thread is 4 1/2 months old - and I don't care.  So go get a life and leave me alone.).  😎

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1