Advertisement (gone after registration)

@M2Pete

As others have recommended, learn to do your own sensor cleaning.  It is an easy task to do correctly and it will save you $50-75 each time.

I have had my M-P240 for a little over five years now and have cleaned the sensor myself on average twice a year with no problems, no damage whatsoever.  All you have to do is follow the directions in your camera manual and adhere to the instructions that come with your sensor cleaning swabs and fluid.  If you do that, you should have no problems.

I use Photographic Solutions Type 3 Sensor Swab Ultra ($38 for 12) and Photographic Solutions Eclipse Optic Cleaning Solution ($9.50 for a 2 oz. bottle).  The cost of these supplies is a little less than the cost of having a camera shop clean my sensor at $50 a pop; after the first cleaning, you are saving money. 

Sensor cleaning is not the terrifying ordeal that some make it out to be.  The main thing is to not use too much fluid - 4 to 5 drops on the cleaning swab is all you need.

My method always works. @jaapvdoesn't agree with it and, while I respect him and his views, my impish tricks always work.

1. Get a vacuum cleaner outside the room you are in with the camera. Have an extension nozzle attached to the  vacuum cleaner. Have a piece of muslin nearby. Close the door as tightly as you can around the extension tube.

2, Start the process on the camera for cleaning the sensor.

3. Place muslin over the nozzle and get it above the sensor.

4. Ask your beautiful assistant (it can be an ugly old mate) to switch on the vacuum cleaner.

5. Get the muslin covered nozzle over the sensor and suck out all the gunge. Ask assistant to switch off vacuum cleaner.

6. Switch off the camera and replace the lens.

7. Check all is clear ... which it will be.

8. Go for a pint of real ale. You have just saved a load of £$€ so you deserve it.

My leica m262 is easily the best non essential thing i have ever bought in my life but sensor dust is a big and frustrating weakness in my view.

I bought a used m262 to go with my original new one just so i could leave my 35mm lens on one camera and only change my 90mm and 25mm in my  clean bright kitchen when i have to.

11 hours ago, Peter Kilmister said:

My method always works. @jaapvdoesn't agree with it and, while I respect him and his views, my impish tricks always work.

8. Go for a pint of real ale. You have just saved a load of £$€ so you deserve it.

I like the last instruction! :)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 9/3/2020 at 1:52 AM, steve 1959 said:

My leica m262 is easily the best non essential thing i have ever bought in my life but sensor dust is a big and frustrating weakness in my view.

To be fair this is nothing unique to Leica M cameras. It applies, more or less, to all digital cameras (regardless of brand or model).

Digital is fantastic (I do not miss developing film and such things), and I really enjoy and love the technology! :)

But potential dust on the sensor, and higher battery consumption, are the main (perhaps only) weaknesses/drawbacks.

Edited by martinot
On 9/4/2020 at 11:52 PM, martinot said:

To be fair this is nothing unique to Leica M cameras. It applies, more or less, to all digital cameras (regardless of brand or model).

Digital is fantastic (I do not miss developing film and such things), and I really enjoy and love the technology! :)

But potential dust on the sensor, and higher battery consumption, are the main (perhaps only) weaknesses/drawbacks.

I remember film and darkroom as a constant battle with  dust... :( 

5 hours ago, ymc226 said:

I saw a video once using a lab grade vacuum pump activated by a foot switch.  Using very soft latex tubing, the vacuum pump action appeared to clean the sensor nicely.  Can't seem to locate that video anymore.

That is exactly what I try to recreate using a vacuum cleaner outside the room with a nozzle inside the room. It does require a beautiful assistant (or anyone who can help) and it works. The use of foot pumps is beyond domestic technology, so far.

On 9/6/2020 at 6:46 PM, Good To Be Retired said:

I remember film and darkroom as a constant battle with my wife because I had the laundry room tied up with solution trays sitting on top of the appliances :)

You remember?  My enlarger sits on the laundry shelf, my developer tray on the dryer, the stop bath shares the washer and dryer, and my fixer on the washer.  Between that and the laundry sink, where I wash my prints, are permanent stains in the floor.  Dust is a constant battle.  Garbage bags help protect the enlarger when not in use, wine helps protect my emotions when in use. 

Wayne

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/3/2020 at 12:52 AM, steve 1959 said:

I bought a used m262 to go with my original new one just so i could leave my 35mm lens on one camera and only change my 90mm and 25mm in my  clean bright kitchen when i have to.

I bought my first M a 262 in 2016 and have found dust a bit frustrating. I did keep it in check at first using a Giotto blower which was fine at first but found I eventually blew more dust onto the sensor about a year ago. I did then buy during lockdown a much more expensive blower with a filter which claimed to keep dust from passing to the sensor - it didnt! 

Fortunately I am only about an hour's drive from the Leica Store Manchester where they offer complimentary cleaning for customers. Only hassle is going to Manchester and parking! I have had my 262 cleaned by them twice now once last November and again just after lockdown ended in June.

Last summer I took advantage of the ME240 offer July last year and bought a second body partially to make it possible to go wider than 28mm in the future as it has live view and also have a second body should one need to go back to base for repair at any stage. 

After the second clean of the M262 I thought I would reduce lens changes.  

Thus the ME240 is semi-permanently fitted with a 28mm Elmarit, which swaps with a 35mm Summicron occasionally.

The M262 is now used for tele shots with a 75mm Summarit. 

So far so good reducing lens changes appears to be working and despite a lot of photography this summer no further problems.

John

Good To Be Retired is correct when he describes the endless battle with dust that we faced in the era of film cameras and improvised darkrooms. That's why while still a teenager, I decided c.1960 to abandon B&W, and use nothing but slide firm.

Then came the digital era., and soon after purchase, my M8.2 developed what was probably an oil splash on the sensor. So I had it professionally cleaned.

I then bought a Rocket blower, an illuminated loupe, and an Arctic Butterfly  brush. By using these I've been able to keep the sensor of this and my subsequent digital M cameras acceptably clean. About a year ago I was faced with a particle that the brush could not move. So I tried applying the brush directly to the affected area using a stabbing motion. Two attempts were needed before the offending particle finally surrendered and consented to be swept away.

So despite living in a village that at times seems to be the Dust Capital of the Known Universe, I have yet to try wet cleaning, but no doubt that day will come.

• 3 months later...