Just to be awkward ...

Gibbo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

... I am having some fun using up old stocks of both film and developer and fixer 😂 The film is Ilford HP5+ with a use by date of Feb 2017, the developer and fixer came with my Paterson developing tank which I bought in 2011. It’s Aculux and Acufix. I have followed the developing times from the leaflet that came with the chemicals and am not displeased, so far. I’m considering pushing the film to 800 but before I do am unable to find any times for developing. Aculux and its replacement are no longer available. The Massive Dev chart doesn’t seem to list anything. Anyone have any ideas, please?

2 hours ago, Gibbo said:

... I am having some fun using up old stocks of both film and developer and fixer 😂 The film is Ilford HP5+ with a use by date of Feb 2017, the developer and fixer came with my Paterson developing tank which I bought in 2011. It’s Aculux and Acufix. I have followed the developing times from the leaflet that came with the chemicals and am not displeased, so far. I’m considering pushing the film to 800 but before I do am unable to find any times for developing. Aculux and its replacement are no longer available. The Massive Dev chart doesn’t seem to list anything. Anyone have any ideas, please?

It's exposed films that can have a problem if you leave them too long, but saying that I'd forgotten about an Olympus XA2 in the boot of my car with HP5 in it and it processed perfectly after what must be five years. On an organised trip to Ilford they said the sell by/use by date was as much for the dealer to rotate stock than anything alarming about the quality falling off a cliff.

Edited by 250swb
  • Like 1

Indeed, Steve. I developed a roll today having shot it at 400 and it looks fine to me. I shall scan it later for a better look. Just not sure how to work out how long to develop it for if I push it to 800 say. The film I developed today was a 1+9 mixture for 13 minutes at 20°. The chart I found on Google just had standard times and said that times for push or pull were on a chart in the box the developer comes in. Well, not in mine 😂 

Edited by Gibbo

• 4 weeks later...

The rule of thumb is that if you expose at twice the ISO, you increase the development time by a third. So if you did your ISO 400 film for 13 minutes, the same film exposed at 800 would take ~17 minutes. That's where I would start, anyway.

• Thanks 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

15 minutes ago, andybarton said:

This will keep you happy for hours. Or maybe 6.5 minutes.

https://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.php?Film=%Ilford+HP5%&Developer=&mdc=Search&TempUnits=C&TimeUnits=D

They do a great App for your phone with all this on, too.

I routinely use their app on iPhone and it has never let me down (over 50+ rolls so far). I have always had good results. I mostly use DD-X (1+4) but sometimes Rodinal too. For me value of app is for adjusting time for temp deviation (from 70F). I am too lazy to keep water temp to perfect 70F. 

I have also developed rolls expired 10 years ago and left unexposed in my drawer. They looked fine to me.

For me BW development is quite fault tolerant. I might not get “the best” results but every time get “good” results. When I do mess up, it is due to really bad exposure and not due to development. 

Edited by jmahto

As I mentioned in my original post, I have checked out the Massive Dev chart already. Probably should have made it clearer that it's not the out of date film but the well and truly out of date chemicals that I am unsure of. That and my reluctance to just tip it down the sink and buy some new stuff 😂

Are the chemicals powder sealed in a pouch or have they been mixed for a while? If powders you should be fine, and if you have already developed a roll, you should be fine. I found a TMax 100 100ft roll in a box from when we moved to our current house, exp date 1996, I decided to try film again last winter. On a whim I tried the film, the results were fine. In the same box was a 120 roll of TMax 400, from 2002, it had some base fog that blocked some highlights, but the images were useable. So I wouldn't worry about a 2017 film. 

• 1 month later...

I last used Aculux and Acufix in 1978. If your chemicals date from 2011 they will be out of date, but probably usable. If it were me, I'd buy something new and use that as the images on the film are more important than the (?)thrill of using old chemistry.

Anyway, you have no doubt developed the films one way or another by now. Maybe I should stop answering these threads and you should show us the photos!

I have posted a few elsewhere on the forum but here’s a couple for this thread. As yet I have not tried pushing the film and, to be honest, I’m not sure I’m going to bother. I’m happy enough using the film at box speed for now. I do think it’s probably time to ditch these chemicals and buy some new though!

• Like 3

Thanks Steve! 🤗

When my father was teaching me photography his aim was to have the least possible amount of grain so both he and, initially I, went for the slowest film stock as possible. I’m gradually rebelling 🤪