Authentic Leica M3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

I am a M6 shooter. I am thinking to add a M3 single stroke.

Recently I had a chance to see one from a reputable used Leica Dealer. Based on the serial number, it was made in 1962. After inspecting the camera, I noticed the camera does not have the letter "L" seal on the dark wax at the top of the lens mounting ring. The dealer told me many M3s no longer have the seal, but they are still real Leicas.

What are your thoughts? I need some helps to make a decision quickly. Thanks for your advices and any recommendation for using M3 - W   

Hello,

Strange story of "L seal" here ... 🙃

- I've never seen non-authentic Leica M after some decades of Leica

only LTM cheap imitations quickly discovered the "trick"

- my 1954's even has no screw where "L seal" used to be on later M3

- if reputable Leica Dealer, that is good source buying Leica M

- if price is right, I'd go for it

The seal may be gone if had a cla ...judge on function, condition and reputation of dealer.  Worry not about a wee seal , esp if you are not looking for a collector item, My M4-2 has had the seal tampered with, I’m sure it was when last serviced....anyway, its easy to mock up an imitation seal if you were a dishonest person, a reputable dealer wouldn’t do that

if it is good, buy it!

On a related note, you know M3s don't have 35mm frame lines right? Mechanical Ms seem to be more expensive now than they were when I bought my M2s years ago. Having used the monsterous 135/2.8 with goggles, I wouldn't want to look for the 35 with goggles for an M3 or  use an external 35mm finder to use mine.

Anyway, my gotos for used equipment tend to be Tamarkin, KEH, and B&H.

43 minutes ago, carbon_dragon said:

On a related note, you know M3s don't have 35mm frame lines right? Mechanical Ms seem to be more expensive now than they were when I bought my M2s years ago. Having used the monsterous 135/2.8 with goggles, I wouldn't want to look for the 35 with goggles for an M3 or  use an external 35mm finder to use mine.

Anyway, my gotos for used equipment tend to be Tamarkin, KEH, and B&H.

Thanks for mentioning M3 frame lines. M3 is great for 50mm lenses with respect to viewfinder. I plan to have my 50mm Summicron park on a M3. I used to have a M6 0.85 which is also good for 50mm. My current set up is M6 TTL 0.58 + 35mm Summilux series 7. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

42 minutes ago, pippy said:

Just another confirmation that the lack of an L seal merely means the camera has had the top-plate off at some point in its nigh-on 60 years on the planet.

Nothing to worry about at all.

P.

I'd be more worried if it DID have the seal, means it's likely never been serviced (although I understand that Leica would have replaced the seal if they serviced it, but other repairers probably can't).

• Like 3

My understanding is that the L seal is only replaced if the camera is serviced at the Leica factory.  There are plenty of other perfectly capable technicians who can service these cameras, so as noted above don’t worry about it.  It is definitely a good idea to buy from a reputable dealer, and check the operation of the camera in person if you can.

I also have a single stroke M3 from 1962 and an M6.  You will not regret buying an M3, it is a fantastic camera.  The M6 is nice but the M3 is a whole new league of nice. 

Edited by andrew01
  • Like 1

Once upon a time the 'official' repairers outside the factory had their own seals, but nowadays you should check, check and double check the condition of one with the L seal because if it hasn't had a service at all it will need one soon.

• Like 1