Summilux 50mm SL vs. Summilux 50mm M ASPH for SL2

Jimmydeano

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello, 

Apologies if this has been discussed in the past but I wanted to ask post firmware update for the SL.

I currently have an SL2 and want to get a 50mm.  

I am torn between the SL and the M lens.   I'm ready to push the button but keep going back and forth.  Maybe someone who owns or uses both can provide an opinion?

I mostly shoot documentary and some fine art photography/ street.   I thought I would like to try autofocus. (I'm an M shooter previously) but hear the Summilux SL is very slow.  I also hear that the image is incredible and has that "Leica" M lens feel to it.

The Summilux M asph is such a great size on the SL2 and if the image quality is really not too noticeable I would go for it due to the compact size.   

Thank you in advance!

-James in Tokyo

Hello James.

I have owned both the SL APO 50mm Summicron, the M and SL summilux. The lens that I kept at the end is the SL APO 50mm Summicron. It is without a doubt, the best 50mm I have ever used. Color, character, transition, everything is just amazing. Also, the size is significantly smaller than the SL summilux, yet it retains a very good and nice bokeh even though its slower than the Summilux. I highly recommend you trying it out before deciding among them. 

Best,

Parolibre.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I went a different direction than the other posters and got the SL Summilux. I’ve previously owned the Summilux ASPH and pre-ASPH M lenses. There is no denying the SL Lux is big (very big compared to a fast M 50 and just big compared to the SL APO Cron). That said, I find the rendering of the SL Lux to be excellent and AF speed acceptable (not snappy but still very usable). It is sharper than the Lux M across the field. Out of focus areas are very characterful and not busy but not quite as “painterly” as the M Lux ASPH but very close (and not anything like a pre-ASPH Lux). The SL is just a hair more “muddy” in the out of focus areas compared to the 50 M likely due to increased element count in the light path. I think the perceived focus falloff on the SL Lux is slightly more pronounced than on the M ASPH. 

Edited by ardbeg
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I really love the way the Leica Summilux lenses render.  On the SL platform, the Lux 50 is large, but draws beautifully, with fantastic Bokeh.  I have and love the 35 SL Summicron, as I prefer that focal length for my shooting style, but would love to see Leica do a 35 Lux as well.  The 28 Summilux on my Q2 lives up to the reputation as well.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have the M 50mm Summilux and the 50mm SL F2 APO, the SL 50mm APO is really outstanding on my SL2 and if I need something wider (not that often) I use my TTArtisans 50mm .95, in this way I have an F2 50mm autofocus, F0.95 for manual at a 1/12th of the price of the Leica (mainly on my SL2) and then the 50mm Summilux on my M10R.

• Like 1

I don't have both so can't comment there, but I definitely wouldn't say the SL lux is slow on the sl2 - it's not as fast as the f2 variants (I have the 35 & 90) but it's still very adequate. I get on fine with it at weddings, so for street/doc use it will be plenty fast enough.

Beautiful lens. I'd like to have a M version as well for the size.

• Like 2

I have both the SL and M lux. The SL lux is a superb lens and if you absolutely need 1.4 it is probably the best option. But it is heavy to the point that lens and body just don’t feel very balanced. Most stories of the SL lux being slow in AF come from when it was just released. Subsequent firmware updates have increased AF significantly to the point now where it is perhaps not the fastest, but still very good. I love M-lenses on the SL2, and the 50 lux is no exception. But it’s easiest when you work wide open. If you work a lot around f11, you probably want to focus at F1.4 and then close to f11 for the shot. That makes the experience a bit cumbersome. If I had neither, I would go for the SL Cron. Those SL sumicrons  are just beyond anything else in terms of image quality, and they make for a very pleasing package on the SL2. And the 50 cron can double as aN attractive 75mm on the CL as well. 

• Like 2

Thanks all for the feedback.   All super helpful!

It's now between the SL cron or SL lux.  An old friend just gifted me a vintage Canon 50mm 0.95. With the M mount adaptor I have, this can act as a manual focus semi small setup for me. 

Since it sounds like the SL Lux autofocus has improved I may just have to give it a try...   But from the above, I will visit the leica store to test the SL cron first.

There is something about that SL lux images though..   can put my finger on it.     

Nice, I have both the M and the L Lux too and concur with most that wjdrijfhout said. Except the part about wishing I had the SL Cron, I just prefer a wider aperture. I have the 35 and 75 SL's as well, both are amazing yes!.....BUT..... I wish both were 1.4's. 🙈 But that's how I am and how I shoot. I mean, I can always stop down to f2 when I want to, but like they say, you can't make an f2 lens go wider to f/1.4. 

The AF on the 50SL lux is fast enough for weddings and parties and most events, just don't try and shoot tennis or soccer with one... :) and the weight....well, it's fricken heavy but guess what? Mount the 50SL cron on an SL2 and it's fricken heavy too.

The other thing about the 50 Summilux M vs SL is the fact that I get almost all keepers when I use the SL, so, if I'm working with clients I use the SL, when I'm having fun for myself or with family and friends I might use the light little fantastic M....

Either way, you're gonna get an amazing lens!

Edited by thatkatmat

14 minutes ago, thatkatmat said:

. I wish both were 1.4's.

You may be well served in due time. In this excellent, Peter Karbe suggests that he is working on a line of Lux's, similar to the Cron's. Can't remember at what time-stamp, but the interview is so good, it is worth watching it all. I think the big unknown is timing. Release dates of Leica lenses have often been more difficult to predict than the weather.

3 hours ago, wjdrijfhout said:

You may be well served in due time. In this excellent, Peter Karbe suggests that he is working on a line of Lux's, similar to the Cron's.

I'd kill for a SL 35 1.4

I do very much like the 35/2, but I do wish I could occasionally get a even shallower dof with it. 

The 50/1.4 on the other hand is my current holy grail lens.

• Like 1

I own SL 50 summicron, SL 50 Lux, and M50 lux (2018). all 3 superb. I disagree with Peter K, (but I think he meant just his favorite)  The SL50 cron is the technically best lens Leica has ever made.  In any lighting and in any situation, its absolutely outstanding.  Flawless!!!  That said, the Sl lux has a "pleasing unique look" especially at 1.4 and especially in portraits. Also, the way  the SL Lux draws and how the focus falls off gives it a distinctively different look than the SL cron. If I had to choose one, I guess the SL cron because it's flawless and much smaller.  Studio only, the SL lux. I also have the M 50 lux BC. When I want to travel really light and/or discreet, the M lens ( even on my SL/CL ) is the perfect combo. 

I have the 50mm Summicron SL and the M Summilux. The Summicron is on another level of performance. It is quite literally, the best or tied for the best lens I have ever used. I was shocked the other day when I used it in a macro setting with the SL2 and multishot mode. At 190mp scanning film, it was as good as the second best lens I have ever used, the 120mm APO Macro Elmarit S, which is a purpose built macro lens. Comparing the two lenses for macro work scanning film, I could not see a difference...for a standard lens to perform as well as one of the best purpose built macro lenses of all time is really something...

• Like 2

21 hours ago, bsmith said:

I own SL 50 summicron, SL 50 Lux, and M50 lux (2018). all 3 superb. I disagree with Peter K, (but I think he meant just his favorite)  The SL50 cron is the technically best lens Leica has ever made.  In any lighting and in any situation, its absolutely outstanding.  Flawless!!!  That said, the Sl lux has a "pleasing unique look" especially at 1.4 and especially in portraits. Also, the way  the SL Lux draws and how the focus falls off gives it a distinctively different look than the SL cron. If I had to choose one, I guess the SL cron because it's flawless and much smaller.  Studio only, the SL lux. I also have the M 50 lux BC. When I want to travel really light and/or discreet, the M lens ( even on my SL/CL ) is the perfect combo. 

Karbe says the SL 35 is technically the best performing lens he’s designed, not the SL50, which is also stellar. It’s because the 35 gave him more space to optimize performance, as it could have otherwise been the smallest of the 35/50/75 trio, if the decision hadn’t been made to use the same barrel size. A lens designer’s best friend is space.

Jeff

SL2+50 Summilux-M ASPH is amazing combo. Only lens I have on the SL2. Maybe an SL lens sometime down the line but love the compact size and that it's not too easy to just spray. Paired with Q2 it's a pretty sweet kit. Q2 is too easy to shoot too many photos with! M lens with SL2 slows me down enough, but it's still easy to nail focus. All SL lenses are optically the best in their class. Can't go wrong with any of them. 

• Like 3