Leica 28mm Bright-line Viewfinder

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've been thinking about picking up an accessory viewfinder for my M4 so that I can accurately frame using a 28mm lens.  I checked out Leica's web site and they only list 18mm, 21mm, and 24mm viewfinders.  I'm going to assume that they stopped making 28mm viewfinders at some point because all of their modern cameras include 28mm framelines.  So I guess that leaves me looking for a used viewfinder.  I know that Leica made all-metal versions early on and then replaced them with plastic versions.  Besides the material used in the body of the viewfinder, is there any downside to the plastic versions?  I read somewhere that they are optically the same, and the plastic versions may have even used better coatings, but I'm not sure how accurate that is.  The metal-bodied viewfinders do seem to go for a premium, however...

Zeiss viewfinders are excellent and they do a 25/28mm - not cheap though.https://www.robertwhite.co.uk/zeiss-zm-25-28mm-brightline-viewfinder.html

Or check out Voightlander here https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/255741-REG/Voigtlander_DA426A_Viewfinder_for_28mm_Silver.html

Edited by pedaes

Hello,

if just for framing, I think that most VF will do the job more or less worse/better.

In my use, framing with aux 28 VF is still better than in the M's VF (for M6/MP/M-A/M4-P/etc.) for less VF blockage with big lens.

I've used 12017   with MATE@28 which hide 1/4 of the M's VF.

As I use also 21mm lens, I prefer the 12014 (21-24-28) a bit bigger but more "on-axis" for a bit more precise framing.

Side note I don't search for any precise framing with M, not attainable anyway.

4 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

Hello,

if just for framing, I think that most VF will do the job more or less worse/better.

In my use, framing with aux 28 VF is still better than in the M's VF (for M6/MP/M-A/M4-P/etc.) for less VF blockage with big lens.

I've used 12017   with MATE@28 which hide 1/4 of the M's VF.

As I use also 21mm lens, I prefer the 12014 (21-24-28) a bit bigger but more "on-axis" for a bit more precise framing.

Side note I don't search for any precise framing with M, not attainable anyway.

I'm not looking for super accurate framing, I know the limitations of framing with an M.  I just thought I might get a closer approximation with a 28mm viewfinder than framing using the entire M .72 viewfinder.  

I agree that Voigtlander plastic VF can be good choice for the cost/quality.

For some time I use them, first with the 15mm when I've bought one (the 15mm LTM came with the matched VF not that nice.)

These days, if size doesn't matter, I use this zoomfinder 15mm-35mm which cover most of my need.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

kind of ultimate universal W-A -VF ...for me more fun than this Leica 12011

this is before the LV/EVF M, some decades of LTM/M use

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 8/31/2020 at 2:52 PM, logan2z said:

I'm going to assume that they stopped making 28mm viewfinders at some point because all of their modern cameras include 28mm framelines

At several points, in fact. ;)

Not sure of the exact timing, but when the 28 Summicron and the 0.85x M6 were introduced around 2000, Leica reintroduced a stand-alone (plastic) 28mm viewfinder. Then they dropped that in favor of a zooming 21/24/28 finder (no bright lines, just a black mask) - which in turn was replaced by the Frankenfinder (Universal Wide-Angle - a huge device with transilluminated brightlines for 16-18-21-24-28, for use with the Leica M8 as well as 24x36 Leicas): https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/461939-REG/Leica_12011_Universal_Wide_Angle_Viewfinder_M.html/specs

Personally, I just don't use the plastic individual finders at all any more - the plastic feet always break off eventually due to being exposed to hitting doorframes and such in fast-moving situations. I splurge on used Leica metal finders (I know the secret of getting them to fit really tightly and never slide off!), which are also more compact. And simply conform to the M body design far more attractively.

The current 21mm metal finder (12024/5 - black or silver) price is outgageous, but I've seen several at less than half-price, used. AND those have a frameline for using a 21 on a cropped M8 - coincidentally, a 28mm field of view. Two finders in one, if one uses a 21 as well (I do) - for $400. Pretty neat!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

These are my 28mm finders. I started off with a Techno View which was cheap and actually quite accurate. I then got a mint Voigtlander but sold that for a profit that paid for the cheap Leitz finder which rattles and has a chip in the front glass. As well I have a Canon which is brighter than the Leitz. Having bought the Canon I had to buy a classic chrome Canon 28mm lens to go with it. The folding SUOOQ was a cheap bargain as the main glass block is cracked, but it works and goes with my 28mm Hektor and I have just seen another SUOOQ for sale that I might buy but don’t really need !

Edited by Pyrogallol

I have one of the early metal 28mm finders, and I see from other people's photos of their similar finders that the viewing end has a rubber cover over the metal ring around the eyepiece. Mine has lost that rubber cover (before I acquired it). Can anyone suggest a way to recover the metal ring before I inadvertantly scratch my spectacles?

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

I have a plastic 28MM Leica finder.  It's the one with the switch at the bottom that is supposed to hold the finder in the hotshoe but it sometimes get's pulled off when I pull it out of my bag.  Have no reference point to compare it to so I can't recommend options, but it gets the job done.  I use it on my M3.  

Ray

On 9/2/2020 at 1:16 AM, adan said:

Not sure of the exact timing, but when the 28 Summicron and the 0.85x M6 were introduced around 2000, Leica reintroduced a stand-alone (plastic) 28mm viewfinder. Then they dropped that in favor of a zooming 21/24/28 finder (no bright lines, just a black mask) - which in turn was replaced by the Frankenfinder (Universal Wide-Angle - a huge device with transilluminated brightlines for 16-18-21-24-28, for use with the Leica M8 as well as 24x36 Leicas): https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/461939-REG/Leica_12011_Universal_Wide_Angle_Viewfinder_M.html/specs

Do you know whether that Leica Universal Wide Angle viewfinder is plastic or metal? And how accurate is the framing on it?