intermediatic

Large Format Printer Recommendations

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I currently have an Epson 3880 but I find the size limiting. A few years ago, I managed to get an older HP large format printer. Although it was far from Epson quality, it was very useful for my work. Photography is part of it, but I also produce drawings and being able to print out a drawing on 24 x 36 and then draw on top of it with pen or ink was just fabulous. Given my work habits and where I live, going to a service bureau is a pain in the neck. Now the bad news is that the HP eventually died and the older HPs have driver issues with newer Mac operating systems. I would be glad to shell out the money for a large format printer (I mean heck, this year I bought an SL2, M10-M, and M10-R plus a few lenses to thoroughly revamp my Leica kit so an Epson P7570 would be a rounding error on all that. But would such a printer have the famed trouble with clogged inkjets if it sits idle for a month at a time while I travel (assuming I ever get back to THAT). Also, the ink cost of running a large format HP was remarkably little, much less than my Epson 3880, will the P7570 break the bank? Or maybe I should I just get something simpler and lower quality like a T3170? Any thoughts? 

Am 31.8.2020 um 15:05 schrieb intermediatic:

I currently have an Epson 3880 but I find the size limiting. A few years ago, I managed to get an older HP large format printer. Although it was far from Epson quality, it was very useful for my work. Photography is part of it, but I also produce drawings and being able to print out a drawing on 24 x 36 and then draw on top of it with pen or ink was just fabulous. Given my work habits and where I live, going to a service bureau is a pain in the neck. Now the bad news is that the HP eventually died and the older HPs have driver issues with newer Mac operating systems. I would be glad to shell out the money for a large format printer (I mean heck, this year I bought an SL2, M10-M, and M10-R plus a few lenses to thoroughly revamp my Leica kit so an Epson P7570 would be a rounding error on all that. But would such a printer have the famed trouble with clogged inkjets if it sits idle for a month at a time while I travel (assuming I ever get back to THAT). Also, the ink cost of running a large format HP was remarkably little, much less than my Epson 3880, will the P7570 break the bank? Or maybe I should I just get something simpler and lower quality like a T3170? Any thoughts? 

How big do you want to go? 24 inch, Canon or Epson, printers are generally in the $2K range. If you want bigger 44 inch printers take a room to use, trim prints, mount etc. That is where I started 20 years ago. I like either Canon or Epson, HPs I have used or friends have owned had their heads block and you were using most of your ink to clear the head. A step higher there are Rolands, pro built machines but a lot of cash.