Shortage of CL batteries?

6 minutes ago, edstock said:

I placed an order for an additional CL battery with B&H Photo in NYC, the other day. Received an email stating that this item was on backorder. They will notify me when the battery becomes available. Makes me wonder what caused this occurrence.

you know panasonic likely makes the identical battery, right? 1/3-1/2 the cost at that. 

https://amzn.to/34P1TJ5

/guy

• Like 1

There is absolutely no need to buy Leica batteries; Panasonic has the same type(as mentioned above) and there are a number of reliable third-party suppliers. I find that my Jupio batteries last better than the Leica one that came with the camera.

8 hours ago, jaapv said:

Sure. Covid is still playing havoc with the supply lines from China.

It seems BP-DC12 battery is not affected by COVID. There are plenty on B&H, Amazon, etc. The price is from $15 (Watson), $47 (Lumix), to $90 (Leica). 

I would assume Leica is self limiting its supply due to its price disadvantage. 

I have many third party BP-DC12. I am using it since FZ-200, same battery for FZ300 and Leica CL. Leica brand (came in the brand new Leica CL package) has no advantage at all over the much older off-brand stuffs I used for FZ200.      

Glad I spotted this thread...I ordered two of the Sigma BP-51 batteries from B&H late yesterday; they just shipped them to me. Same EXACT specs (voltage/amp, etc.) as the Leica battery (some of the other recommended batteries have different voltages/amperages). $40/each. Ordered two to get free shipping. (probably the same battery, just rebranded)

Edited by dadu007

i'm firmly sticking to me recommendation of the panasonic batteries. panasonic is the acknowledged gold standard for lithium cells and the leitz/panasonic partnership in many things is well known, so i'd bet any amount of money i don't have that the leica batteries are identical to the paransonic ones. and i have at least one panasonic camera which uses the same battery, so i know it's 100% reliable, safe, and provides full run times.

i use all sorts of no-name batteries in my cameras at various times, but none of them can be trusted to act exactly like oem batteries and this includes watson. i have two watson chargers and have used their batteries, but they never have the real capacity of the oem or branded ones. but i'm a long time technician and have many meters and testers and i can quickly spot problems and troubleshoot them. 

i admit that i have no-name batteries which have very nearly the run time and have been as reliable as the oem ones, but if i have the money, i won't take chances with them. the panasonic batteries are between $40-60 and the leitz batteries are nearly double that and i would nearly guarantee the only difference is the labeling.

/guy

Edited by gteague
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, gteague said:

i'm firmly sticking to me recommendation of the panasonic batteries. panasonic is the acknowledged gold standard for lithium cells and the leitz/panasonic partnership in many things is well known, so i'd bet any amount of money i don't have that the leica batteries are identical to the paransonic ones. and i have at least one panasonic camera which uses the same battery, so i know it's 100% reliable, safe, and provides full run times.

i use all sorts of no-name batteries in my cameras at various times, but none of them can be trusted to act exactly like oem batteries and this includes watson. i have two watson chargers and have used their batteries, but they never have the real capacity of the oem or branded ones. but i'm a long time technician and have many meters and testers and i can quickly spot problems and troubleshoot them. 

i admit that i have no-name batteries which have very nearly the run time and have been as reliable as the oem ones, but if i have the money, i won't take chances with them. the panasonic batteries are between $40-60 and the leitz batteries are nearly double that and i would nearly guarantee the only difference is the labeling.

/guy

It's always safe to buy the brand name for any new battery type.

BP-DC-12 is one of the exception since it has been around for so long. It has been tested by enough skinny pigs. (I happened to be one of the skinny pigs).

I do like my Panasonic batteries but they are made in China aren't they and i hardly see significant differences with my Chinese DSTE and Patona or my Korean or Russian (?) Leicas. Better QC probably but the last time i've got issues with a replacement battery was perhaps ten years ago... Result is i don't buy OEM batteries anymore,  i mean if i can avoid them, which is not always possible (M240) or handy (M8.2) thanks to Leica. Now when i used cameras for my job i always used OEM batteries, this way i could sue a solvent company if needed but it never happened as expected.

Right after I got my CLH, I ordered some kind of deal through Amazon for three batteries and a charger. I mistakenly ordered two of them and ended up with batteries everywhere it seems. The wife Leica V Lux uses the same battery though so we have spares everywhere....! The brand is Wasabi.

9 minutes ago, Bill W said:

Right after I got my CLH, I ordered some kind of deal through Amazon for three batteries and a charger. I mistakenly ordered two of them and ended up with batteries everywhere it seems. The wife Leica V Lux uses the same battery though so we have spares everywhere....! The brand is Wasabi.

Bill, after a reasonable trial of the Wasabi batteries, please report on your findings. Thank you. 

1 hour ago, wda said:

Bill, after a reasonable trial of the Wasabi batteries, please report on your findings. Thank you. 

they used to be my preferred 3rd-party brand and i used them for several years in many cameras and then suddenly they became scarce or unavailable and when they returned they didn't seem the same, so i no longer trusted them fully. i suspect the company got so popular someone bought them or they had to change manufacturing. i really have no idea. but i only did quit buying them because they became scarce for a time and i can't properly review them now based on what i remember from the first 'run' of them.

/guy

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wda said:

I bought my Wasabi batteries about two years ago and there have ben no issues. I guess mine are from an earlier period and there might be issues with those bought now.

• Like 1