Which would you choose for everyday carry/street/travel?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have been considering a Q2 for everyday carry/street/travel to supplement my SL2 (which is large and heavy for those purposes). But I’ve found a used Monochrom M (Type 246) in great condition with extra battery, et al, in stock for $3,995ish. Couple that with a Voigtlander Nokton 50mm or 35mm f/1.2 Aspherical and you’ve got a compact fast M combo for the same price as the Q2 - I am aware of the spec differences.  I owned an M7 years ago which I dearly loved (I still have an R8 for film), I prefer black & white, I don’t mind manual focus (again the R8 and the fact that this won’t be an action camera), and I have the SL2 (which I love) and lenses for more purposeful photography - color, ultimate resolution (large files), portraits, landscapes, wildlife, action, all weather.  I’m thinking the M could give me that different Rangefinder experience and not be just a mini SL2 (although there is a lot to do said for that).  

I have never used a Q2 but as noted I did have an M7. Given my preferences, intended use, likes and dislikes which would you get?  No pressure. 😉
Edited by ChrisL

The reason I continue to use Leica M bodies even though I think there are much better cameras on the market for the price (or even half the price) is the viewfinder/rangefinder combo. There is simply no other camera available today which provides the same experience.  If you liked using the M7, get the M.  I am assuming you prefer digital to film.  I have been very happy with the MP240 and see no reason to upgrade to an M10.  The M2 is my favorite camera!

There is something special about an M setup. It does not get in the way and is the perfect companion to a DSLR. I had the Q and sold it before the Q2 came out to salvage the resale value anticipating that I would get the Q2. I decided not to get the Q2 as I really wanted more flexibility-so I got something else. But I have the M10P and M10 Monochrom in addition to a mirrorless digital and a variety of film M’s that I still use regularly. So I think it makes sense to have more than one tool in the shed whether it’s a Leica or not.  

Edited by ajmarton1

For a carry-around camera? I don’t see how you can beat the Q2. Even for someone who doesn’t mind manual focus.

- It’s a little smaller than an M246 with a fast 35mm

- It’s much lighter than an M and kens

- It’s weather proof

- It has better battery life than an M

- In 35mm crop mode, it will have similar true resolution to the type 246 monochrome and a bit more resolution at 28mm

- The AF is helpful in some situations

- The OIS is helpful in low light

- Aside from high ISO’s, the black and white performance is better than with the M since you can use color data to determine how to map tones (digital equivalent to color filters on a Bock and white camera)

- The better performance of the M at higher ISO’s is counteracted by the OIS that allows slower shutter speeds for static subjects

- It includes some decent macro capabilities which are lacking in the M

- You can shoot color for subjects where that is appropriate

What are the advantages with the M?  Well, you can buy additional lenses to improve flexibility, but you’ve already got that with the SL2. You might actively prefer the rangefinder experience, of course. And you don’t have to bother with any processing to get B&W out of the DNG’s (though it’s easy enough to setup your raw converter to default to your favorite B&W profile). Honestly, I can’t come up with anything else. As a light weight carry around/travel camera I can’t think of anything I would take over the Q. Obviously, the fixed 28mm lens is a limitation, but the SL2 solves that problem. I’d take the Q over the monochrome 242 M.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jared said:

As a light weight carry around/travel camera I can’t think of anything I would take over the Q. Obviously, the fixed 28mm lens is a limitation, but the SL2 solves that problem. I’d take the Q over the monochrome 242 M.

After a lot of dithering (and undoubtedly annoying my Leica vendor in the process), I actually have come to the same conclusion for the same reasons. But I now have to wait, and wait, and wait until one becomes available (I’ve placed my order but I’m famously impatient). 🥴

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Everyday carry, street, and travel are three different categories, at least for me.  For the first two, I would prefer to use M246 with a 50mm lens, my preferred focal length, and if I need something wider, I would simply use my phone.  The lack of wide angle, color, and weather sealing are not that big a deal, since you are likely to have the chance to revisit the scene.  For travel, assume you are only bringing one camera and want something portable, Q2 is much better option for all the reasons Jared said. 

On 9/1/2020 at 6:55 PM, Jared said:

For a carry-around camera? I don’t see how you can beat the Q2. Even for someone who doesn’t mind manual focus.

- It’s a little smaller than an M246 with a fast 35mm

- It’s much lighter than an M and kens

- It’s weather proof

- It has better battery life than an M

- In 35mm crop mode, it will have similar true resolution to the type 246 monochrome and a bit more resolution at 28mm

- The AF is helpful in some situations

- The OIS is helpful in low light

- Aside from high ISO’s, the black and white performance is better than with the M since you can use color data to determine how to map tones (digital equivalent to color filters on a Bock and white camera)

- The better performance of the M at higher ISO’s is counteracted by the OIS that allows slower shutter speeds for static subjects

- It includes some decent macro capabilities which are lacking in the M

- You can shoot color for subjects where that is appropriate

What are the advantages with the M?  Well, you can buy additional lenses to improve flexibility, but you’ve already got that with the SL2. You might actively prefer the rangefinder experience, of course. And you don’t have to bother with any processing to get B&W out of the DNG’s (though it’s easy enough to setup your raw converter to default to your favorite B&W profile). Honestly, I can’t come up with anything else. As a light weight carry around/travel camera I can’t think of anything I would take over the Q. Obviously, the fixed 28mm lens is a limitation, but the SL2 solves that problem. I’d take the Q over the monochrome 242 M.

The Q2 has a better battery life than an M246?

• 2 months later...
On 9/2/2020 at 7:38 PM, steve 1959 said:

The Q2 has a better battery life than an M246?

Apparently; according to DPReview (which has a CIPA rating for the M10s but not the M246), the Q2/Q2-Monchrom is rated for 350 shots, while the M10/M10M is 210; I'd expect the M246 would also be below the Q2.  With that said, I've got the M10M and Q2, and I've not had issue with the battery going flat in a shoot; I do burst with the Q2 and never with the M10M.  I wonder if the ratings on the Ms assume some usage of  live view, which would be driving down the shot count compared to always focusing through the rangefinder.

The Q2 has become my principal camera for street and travel; the ability to crop-in with the sharp, high-res sensor and weather sealing have been great.  If I expect good weather on a short trip, I may prefer the M10M instead, as I did when we took a sojourn to NYC for valentine's day, back when we were last able to travel. Again the resolution allows a lot of flexibility, and I can choose either a wider or narrower lens; just with the sacrifice of the weather sealing (and colour, I suppose).  Choosing the M Monochrom is certainly going to be a personal choice though.  I usually just pack one lens for a short trip and stick with it (maybe bring a second, but usually don't end-up switching). 

Your choice now comes between which you value more, the weather sealing or the lens flexibility (assuming you don't care about the Q's autofocus and the M's rangefiner focus, and some other IMO small differences).

Sometimes I'll grab one or the other as my carry-camera, but if photography is really going to be an after thought and I think I'll have minimal opportunity, I'll grab the X2 still.  It's smaller, and the after-market self-closing lens cap is convenient.

• Like 1