CL + Lumix & Sigma. What’s working, what’s not ?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, nicci78 said:

Do you have a picture of the combo CL + 14-24mm 

I am also wondering if it can be a nice fast wide angle zoom for my CL. 
I don’t need/like wider than 21mm. But I am an absolute fan of fast 21mm. So f/2.8 is very appealing. 
I am just afraid of size and weight. 

I am really thinking to adopt Sigma 14-24mm f/2.8 + 85mm f/1.4 DG DN / Art for my CL. They could be complimentary to my Q2. One giving me the beloved 21mm and the other a kind of 135mm that I liked too. 

It's a lump of a combo, I do not have a picture to hand but will take one for you and post it here later.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Marac said:

It's a lump of a combo, I do not have a picture to hand but will take one for you and post it here later.

Here is the CL with the Sigma 14-24. I find it manageable. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, ynp said:

Thank you for your pictures 

I am very interested in this lens. Does the focus limiter work with this lens? Is the autofocus reliable on your CL ?

Yevgeny

Based on my experience, this lens doesn’t have focus limit function.

As to autofocus performance, because CL is my first mirrorless camera, I think that it is ok on CL and may be better on SL2.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Leon Sung said:

Based on my experience, this lens doesn’t have focus limit function.

As to autofocus performance, because CL is my first mirrorless camera, I think that it is ok on CL and may be better on SL2.

Thank you very much for the first hand information. 

Edited by ynp

1 hour ago, Marac said:

Here is the CL with the Sigma 14-24. I find it manageable. 

Thank you Marac. 
Looks okay but still quite big on the CL. Do you think that the extra weight and size worth it over the Super-Vario-Elmar-TL 11-23 ? Just for one extra stop of light ? 

I am still not sure about Sigma’s DG DN. Main benefit is the ability to share them between Full frame and APS-C bodies. But it is still quite big. 

18 hours ago, nicci78 said:

Thank you Marac. 
Looks okay but still quite big on the CL. Do you think that the extra weight and size worth it over the Super-Vario-Elmar-TL 11-23 ? Just for one extra stop of light ? 

I am still not sure about Sigma’s DG DN. Main benefit is the ability to share them between Full frame and APS-C bodies. But it is still quite big. 

I have owned the 11-23 and it's a fantastic lens no doubt, If I only had a CL then I may well of kept it, however I wanted something to fit both my CL & S1R. 

Yes you get an extra stop of light but also you get very close focus (I love taking close wide angle photos) There is very little difference in IQ to my eyes, I'm very pleased with the sigma 14-24 and although it is bigger, I can still go with it, however, I use it 'mostly' with the S1R.

Using it with the CL I have found my copy to be excellent corner to corner even at f2.8

The photo attached is the 14-24 on the CL f2.8 close focus with bright backlight, not going to win any awards but shows how well the lens handles situations and the sharpness at close focus.

Personally, I like the lens a lot and extra bit of bulk is a non-issue for me.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks for sharing your experience. 
I also like the idea to be able to share lens between APS-C and full frame bodies.  
I think that I will wait for Sigma to redesign its 14mm f/1.8 DG HSM into a compact DG DN variant. 
I don’t need zoom. 
But i think that I will buy the 85mm DG DN. 

Projecting forward, here is some news. Panasonic today announced the near-future release of four new full frame compact primes: 24mm f1.8, 35mm f1.8, 50mm f1.8 and later an 85mm f1.8.

I think these will be very interesting options for APSC, possibly with a similar form factor to the Sigma 45mm Contemporary. I'd be very interested in the 24mm f1.8 as a full frame capable alternative to the 23mm Summicron-TL.

Edited by ruskkyle
  • Thanks 1

Hopefully Panasonic and Sigma got the memo : mirrorless = small bodies + small lenses. 
Sadly Leica is still playing deaf with giant SL2 body and giant SL lenses. Yes even APO-Summicron-SL f/2 will feel huge next to these new f/1.8 Lumix S. 

Edited by nicci78

16 hours ago, ruskkyle said:

Projecting forward, here is some news. Panasonic today announced the near-future release of four new full frame compact primes: 24mm f1.8, 35mm f1.8, 50mm f1.8 and later an 85mm f1.8.

I think these will be very interesting options for APSC, possibly with a similar form factor to the Sigma 45mm Contemporary. I'd be very interested in the 24mm f1.8 as a full frame capable alternative to the 23mm Summicron-TL.

Does anyone know what "near future"  means, is it before or after Nov2020.  

• 7 months later...
On 8/31/2020 at 9:05 AM, nicci78 said:

It is unfortunate. 
I’d like the idea to get an extra button on the lens. CL is kind of one button short. 

Sigma AFL button on the lens can be customised with Sony bodies. 

Leica, please update the CL again. We should be able to use every single functionality of any L-mount alliance lens. 

"CL is kind of one button short" :-))