M10/M10-P high ISO color and detail quality with Topaz DeNoise AI

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm not sure if this should move to the Digital forum. I always suspected that Sony sensors' high ISO color and detail quality was due to clever algorithms. I now have proof for it, sort of. 

This is an old M10 ISO 10000 test shot I found. While shot noise was low as I exposed well in a sufficiently lighted scene, the LR processing left me wanting that α7 III/S1 (basically use the same sensor) high ISO color quality and detail resolution. Well, now with Topaz DeNoise AI, I can have it, I think.

Less compressed JPEGs here: https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-cMqxXt/

Check out the LR version with NR at +60 and sharpening at +60.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Processed exactly the same as above except that NR and sharpening was done using Topaz DeNoise AI

Edited by Chaemono
  • Like 1

Now the crops. It's as if the pictures were taken with different cameras. Less compressed JPEGs here: https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-cMqxXt/

LR version crop

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Topaz DeNoise AI crop

Edited by Chaemono
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, Tom1234 said:

Your comment makes me think:  As camera's built in noise reduction gets better, I bet, the De-noise type programs become confused with the better images.  De-Noising is probably a moving target as cameras change. 

For DNG output the least amount of in-camera noise reduction is preferred.

• 5 weeks later...

A late addition to this thread......

I've used Topaz Denoise on and off for the last month or so, and concluded:
- It works best on DNGs that require moderate to significant noise reduction (where the effect is remarkably good), but there are some images that are too degraded for it to be of value.
- I zero out all noise reduction, sharpening and clarity in Lightroom before using Topaz DeNoise.
- There is little if any benefit to using Topaz Sharpen after using Denoise. The latter does some sharpening. I wonder how much overlap there is internally between Denoise, Sharpen and Gigapixel, which all seem capable of drawing out detail that is not visible in the original image.
- Denoise does not work well with old noisy JPGs (from my earliest digital cameras) and scanned film images. Denoise seems to recognise and handle modern digital noise better than old images. It is still worth trying, but sometimes it seems to emphasise larger noise patterns as it reduces the smaller ones.
- The auto settings do not necessarily the best: it is worth playing with the sliders to increase noise reduction. I could be wrong here; the AI bit of the app may have decided that noise that is only visible at high magnification is worth retaining for the sake of detail seen at normal viewing or printing magnification.

• Thanks 1