Small bit of advice from M240 shooters pls

UltraDan

Hello Dan,

my short answer is "try for yourself", it doesn't hurt to try, just to know which suits your style.

- I use as long time M user the built-in meter as indication in manual setting most of the time, with circonspection

if light is tricky, I do kind of manual bracketting if I have time to do multiple frames, turning the aperture/shutter button is natural for me

I know that most of under/over-exposed files can be recovered (if need be) in post-process, so some people just use ALL auto (ISO, shutter), nothing wrong with that

if results suit them

- I don't even know which DNG I use (compressed or not *), I invite you to experiment ( I've done so long time ago, not seen significant difference )

* just checked minutes ago, "DNGc" (with INFO button) I think for some years now, it suits me well

Leica implemented a DNG lossless compression so all data information is retained. Like when you ZIP a large file and unZIP it later, no information is lost. So far I did not stumble over a raw converter that has problems with compressed DNG, so I use it.

I'm not a big fan of constant underexposure to prevent blown highlights (some people do this). There are enough scenes where there is no risk of blown highlights and then you push the histogram additionlly to the dark side with underexposure.

+1 just go out and shoot to get to know the camera. Find what works for you. Your personal experience will be different from others.

Have two settings menu one for base ISO, RAW + JPG, JPG set to BW always, DNG file set to compressed, meter set to spot, WB set to daylight and aperture priority most of the time. The other setting is Auto ISO 200 to 1600 with everything else the same as above. I do run -.3 to -.7 exposure most of the just depends. No compensation when using manual metering.

Am very happy with my m240's.

Enjoy and happy snapin'!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 8/29/2020 at 10:42 AM, UltraDan said:

So I just picked up an M240 and wanted to ask current users - how do people shoot these to get the best results ? Do you under or overexpose the files? I'm using uncompressed DNG is it noticeable over the compressed files? 
Thanks for any info. 

Dan

No - I expose correctly.
The DNG compression is lossless - you won't lose one byte.

On 8/29/2020 at 3:42 AM, UltraDan said:

how do people shoot these to get the best results ?

Disregarding specific artistic efforts, best results are obtained by exposing to take the best advantage of the dynamic range of the sensor.

Think about downloading a free trial copy of FastRawViewer and looking at the information in your raw files.  A bit of experimentation will give you a handle on correct espouser.

I love the M240. Coming from an M8 and having had the chance to try the M10, I decided to stick with the M240. Best colors and dynamic range in my opinion. 
I'm usually exposing for light and, when necessary, i recover some shadow in post. But I agree with what others say, you have to try and find the kind of shooting that better suit you.
Practice is the best way to know your camera.  

On 8/29/2020 at 9:42 AM, UltraDan said:

So I just picked up an M240 and wanted to ask current users - how do people shoot these to get the best results ? Do you under or overexpose the files? I'm using uncompressed DNG is it noticeable over the compressed files? 
Thanks for any info. 

Dan

There really is no better advice than: try it and work it out for yourself. With digital photography, unlike film, there is no cost to multiple trials, and the only way to learn photography is by practice. If you can't tell the difference between your identical images shot at different exposures, or a compressed or uncompressed one, then there is no point in taking advice here!

How you expose your RAW files should, IMHO, also take into account how your PP software of choice handles various aspects of editing.. I mooch between C1 and LR, and each has strengths and weakness (C1 better with high ISO noise for example)

how you get the camera to serve you is purely down to you IMO, after all aperture priority or full manual and using the < 0 > to gauge exposure = all the same light meter! 

You could try setting it to Bracket at +/- 1/3stop, go out shooting in aperture mode, then later when viewing the files decide if the camera nailed the best exposure to your tastes at +/- 0 EV or if either -1/3 or +1/3 EV generally worked out better.

Personally, I use the histogram in image review when I wish to be exact and then if needed moderate the exposure based on that

Compressed DNG is fine, it’s lossless.

• 4 weeks later...