28mm summicron asph v2 or 35mm summilux fle

JimmyCheng

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So here is the question, I am very fortunate to be able to own one of these two lenses in the near future, but I am quite torn between which one to get. 

So far I've got the following Leica glasses:

1. summicron 35mm v4 "bokeh king", which still performs quite well on digital m, but I some times miss a bit of corner sharpness and crispness of the fle (which I have owned before and regrettably sold it due ot financial issues)

2. summilux 50mm asph, which is my go-to lens for now

3. summicron 90mm pre-asph, which I intend to upgrade to the apo version since I really do not like the severe purple fringing when shoot wide open, it ruined some of my pictures on film (which is hard to get rid of in post)

4. elmar 50mm f2.8 the new version, solely bought it cuz it's silver and looks super cool and retro on my silver m bodies.

Also, I will add another wide angle lens to the line-up, probably a 21mm SEM, but not until I got the next new gen of M (I do not like using external finders on my m9p or m-a, so might rely on liveview for landscape)

I know the charactor and awesomeness of the FLE since I have used it before, and I can get a silver version which looks super dope. But I also think it is a bit of a waste since I already got an awesome 35mm in my arsonal. I have not experienced with 28mm cron before, but I have shot the Q a couple of years back and really liked it, so I guess I should be fine with the FL. 

1 hour ago, JimmyCheng said:

I know the charactor and awesomeness of the FLE since I have used it before, and I can get a silver version which looks super dope. But I also think it is a bit of a waste since I already got an awesome 35mm in my arsonal.

Your lens setup is very similar to mine. I have the 35 Summicron v.4, 35 Summilux FLE and 50 Summilux ASPH (and a 50 Lux pre-ASPH). I don’t think it’s superfluous to have two lenses with the same focal length, because when they are so different, they complement each other very well. 

I have no experience with 28 Summicron ASPH though.

I agree that the 35 cron v4 and 35FLE are rather different so there's not so much overlap. In terms of rendering the 35FLE is most similar to the 50lux Asph. For the sake of avoiding overlap i'd go with a 28cron v2  though this is coming from someone who likes to differentiate/streamline his lenses in terms of traits so its easier to decide what to use.

To throw another lens into the mix, I'd also consider the 28lux. I prefer its rendering over the 35 FLE. I wouldn't argue that it is a better 28mm over the 28cron v2 (it is faster and bokeh is better in my eyes, but the 28cron v2 is no slouch in terms of sharpness and pop and is very compact), but it does give you both 28cron and 35FLE in 1 package, doesn't overlap in any way with the 35 cron v4 and pairs better with 50mm.

This said, I was lucky enough to own a 28lux along with the 35FLE and 28cron before, but I sold it and kept the 35FLE and 28cron v2 over it for these reasons:

- 35mm is my preferred focal length, so didn't want a fast and expensive 28mm competing with the 35FLE for time on my camera (not to say the 28cron v2 is not expensive..just less)

- I like the size of the 28cron v2 and it does the job of a 28mm plenty fine. And between the 3 the 28lux is the largest.

- For sentimental reasons I cannot sell my 35FLE

11 minutes ago, chasdfg said:

I agree that the 35 cron v4 and 35FLE are rather different so there's not so much overlap. In terms of rendering the 35FLE is most similar to the 50lux Asph. For the sake of avoiding overlap i'd go with a 28cron v2  though this is coming from someone who likes to differentiate/streamline his lenses in terms of traits so its easier to decide what to use.

To throw another lens into the mix, I'd also consider the 28lux. I prefer its rendering over the 35 FLE. I wouldn't argue that it is a better 28mm over the 28cron v2 (it is faster and bokeh is better in my eyes, but the 28cron v2 is no slouch in terms of sharpness and pop and is very compact), but it does give you both 28cron and 35FLE in 1 package, doesn't overlap in any way with the 35 cron v4 and pairs better with 50mm.

This said, I was lucky enough to own a 28lux along with the 35FLE and 28cron before, but I sold it and kept the 35FLE and 28cron v2 over it for these reasons:

- 35mm is my preferred focal length, so didn't want a fast and expensive 28mm competing with the 35FLE for time on my camera (not to say the 28cron v2 is not expensive..just less)

- I like the size of the 28cron v2 and it does the job of a 28mm plenty fine. And between the 3 the 28lux is the largest.

- For sentimental reasons I cannot sell my 35FLE

I have actually looked into the 28 lux, but for me it is way too large and defeats the purpose of using a rangefinder camera. But good point nonetheless. 

Also, FL aside, which lens is optically superior, the 28 cron asph v2 or the 35 lux? Judging from the MTF chart it seems the former is the better one.

Rendering wise, how do they compare? I would think they draw similarly as they are both modern leica lenses?

1 minute ago, pedaes said:

Both are more than adequate. Sounds like you need them both and sell your 35 cron v4.

that's actually not a bad idea. But considering the v4 is the smallest and lightest 35mm with decent opticals, I am really reluctant to sell. I just bought it last year for a fair bit of coins : |

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 minute ago, JimmyCheng said:

that's actually not a bad idea. But considering the v4 is the smallest and lightest 35mm with decent opticals, I am really reluctant to sell. I just bought it last year for a fair bit of coins : |

I sold mine. But after a short while I regretted it so much that I had to buy it back. 😉

I would suggest getting the 28 Summicron.
It is a focal length you don't have, renders similarly to the 50 Summilux and is great with this lens as a two lens combo
It is my most used lens and I have way too many.

Edited by MarkP
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, MarkP said:

I would suggest getting the 28 Summicron.
It is a focal length you don't have, renders similarly to the 50 Summilux and is great with this lens as a two lens combo
It is my most used lens and I have way too many.

Thanks for the advice. My brain also tells me to get the 28, but my heart leans towards the silver 35 lux : p Guess I will eventually get both.

May I ask if you find the 28 f2 a bit too wide sometimes on streets? Are you comfortable shooting really close to the subject? I mainly wanted the 28 for indoor shooting actually as I found even the 35mm a bit too intimate for street FOR ME.

Edited by JimmyCheng

You have not indicated in your post, what focal lengths you prefer on your M9-P or the kind of pictures you take.

If  28 is not going to be one of your main lenses (since you already have a great 35) and just want to use the 28 occasionally, then maybe be you should get the cheaper Elmarit 28.

On the other hand if you desire the 'best of the best' at 28 and money is no objection, then get the Summicron 28.

They are both great lenses.

I personally use the 28 Cron and 50 Lux as my 2 main lenses. For the occasional general purpose I use the 35 CV 1.2.

Edited by rramesh
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, rramesh said:

You have not indicated in your post, what focal lengths you prefer on your M9-P or the kind of pictures you take.

If  28 is not going to be one of your main lenses (since you already have a great 35) and just want to use the 28 occasionally, then maybe be you should get the cheaper Elmarit 28.

On the other hand if you desire the 'best of the best' at 28 and money is no objection, then get the Summicron 28.

They are both great lenses.

I personally use the 28 Cron and 50 Lux as my 2 main lenses. For the occasional general purpose I use the 35 CV 1.2.

right, sorry about that. I think I used to be a 35mm shooter until I got my 50mm lux, especially on the street as I am a bit "shy". As for the 28 my main purpose is to use it indoors so I think having f2 is an advantage when the lighting is not ideal. I also adore the little 28mm elmarit, I am a sucker for small lenses, hence the v4. 

In my own long experiences, when hesitations between 2 lenses (mostly Leitz/Leica), I ended buying the TWO over time if money was an obstacle.

Another "trusting experience": when I sold one lens that I used to love, I bought back some times later ( months or years later, most of time for much more money than when I sold).

Take one of the two knowing that the other will be bought later 😉.

Life is too short for hesitations 😇.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

In my own long experiences, when hesitations between 2 lenses (mostly Leitz/Leica), I ended buying the TWO over time if money was an obstacle.

Another "trusting experience": when I sold one lens that I used to love, I bought back some times later ( months or years later, most of time for much more money than when I sold).

totally agree

Jimmy - If I could only have two Leica M lenses, I wouldn't even need to think about it. It would be the 50 Summilux ASPH and the 28 Summicron ASPH. They render almost identically - modern sharpness where you focus (anywhere in the frame), with an old-school melting background close up, at full aperture. There's very little you can't accomplish with that duo.

If I could only have a single Leica M lens, it would be the 35 Summilux ASPH FLE. But, for me anyway, I prefer the above combination.

You already have the 50 Summilux ASPH, plus a good 35mm lens. I'd recommend getting the 28 Summicron ASPH. At some future date you can upgrade your 35 to an FLE.

7 minutes ago, colint544 said:

Jimmy - If I could only have two Leica M lenses, I wouldn't even need to think about it. It would be the 50 Summilux ASPH and the 28 Summicron ASPH. They render almost identically - modern sharpness where you focus (anywhere in the frame), with an old-school melting background close up, at full aperture. There's very little you can't accomplish with that duo.

If I could only have a single Leica M lens, it would be the 35 Summilux ASPH FLE. But, for me anyway, I prefer the above combination.

You already have the 50 Summilux ASPH, plus a good 35mm lens. I'd recommend getting the 28 Summicron ASPH. At some future date you can upgrade your 35 to an FLE.

48 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

I think you guys are both right, might just stretch it bit and get both... prolly gonna sell my old m2 and a few zeiss and voigtlander lenses : p

• Like 1

Different focal lengths, different apertures, different beasts. I would ask myself if a 28mm lens will suit my needs on an M camera (can you see 28mm framelines? are you sure VF blockage is not a problem for you, etc.). If yes, no problem the 28/2 v2 is excellent. If not, the 35/1.4 FLE is also excellent with same modern rendering as the 28/2. Nice complement to your 35/2 v4 but i would never sell the latter if budget allows otherwise you will miss this little Mandler lens later. Neither 28/2 v2 nor 35/1.4 FLE lenses can compete with the 35/2 v4 character wise. Hard to do forgiving portraits with a 35/1.4 FLE for example, it is too sharp for that.  Let alone the  size. The 35/2 v4 is even smaller than the 35/1.4 pre-asph below.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, lct said:

Different focal lengths, different apertures, different beasts. I would ask myself if a 28mm lens will suit my needs on an M camera (can you see 28mm framelines? are you sure VF blockage is not a problem for you, etc.). If yes, no problem the 28/2 v2 is excellent. If not, the 35/1.4 FLE is also excellent with same modern rendering as the 28/2. Nice complement to your 35/2 v4 but i would never sell the latter if budget allows otherwise you will miss this little Mandler lens later. Neither 28/2 v2 nor 35/1.4 FLE lenses can compete with the 35/2 v4 character wise. Hard to do forgiving portraits with a 35/1.4 FLE for example, it is too sharp for that.  Let alone the  size. The 35/2 v4 is even smaller than the 35/1.4 pre-asph below.

Yeah definitely won't sell the little gem : p

I'd suggest 28 Cron and keep the 35 Corn v4 for reasons:
1) 28mm Cron fills up the gap according to your collections and viewfinder behavior, and perhaps Q2 is not an option for you.
2) 35 Cron V.4 is not only suitable for street photography, it also doing a great job on flowers and portraits as well. Lux tail might be too sharp while compared with Mandler.
3) 50 Lux already fulfills the low light requirements, unless you're looking for a wider angle, in this case, 35 FLE would be a better have.
4) In terms of color rendering, I personally a big fan of Mandler. Latest 28 Cron is not Mandler lens but it has done a good job as it should be.

Edited by Erato

5 hours ago, JimmyCheng said:

I have actually looked into the 28 lux, but for me it is way too large and defeats the purpose of using a rangefinder camera. But good point nonetheless. 

Also, FL aside, which lens is optically superior, the 28 cron asph v2 or the 35 lux? Judging from the MTF chart it seems the former is the better one.

Rendering wise, how do they compare? I would think they draw similarly as they are both modern leica lenses?

The size of the 28lux as a daily lens is definitely a reason why I sold mine. Its not unwieldy but is heftier. 

My personal opinion is that the 35FLE is not as sharp wide-open as the 28cron - but i haven't shot the 35FLE at f2 enough to know what the comparison is like when both lenses are shot at f2 (I tend to shoot 1.4 and then f4 or 5.6 when I need to stop down). Both lenses are plenty sharp so its not like you're losing very much with the 35FLE, if at all. It is a fantastic lens. Rendering wise I feel the 35FLE is closer to the 50lux asph than the 28cron is. The 28cron reminds me of the 35mm 1.4 zeiss. Just my opinion based on experience. 

The eventual combo of 28cron 35FLE and 50lux asph is a nice thought. Compact high performing kit and all 46mm filters.

• Like 1