Color temperature in your Digital processing room

Advertisement (gone after registration)

May be a somewhat strange question.

I have to buy new LED lamps for my digital processing room as my present TL lamps have reached their end of life phase. Which color temperature in Kelvin do you recommend?
Or is the light which is surrounding you (almost) irrelevant for post-processing?

If you know the illumination under which prints are finally to be displayed then it might be worth ensuring colour temperature of the lamps matches this. If not (usually the case) then something near 'daylight' is probably reasonable in order to give a none warm biased colouration. Precision is only really highly relevant when it can be carried right through the process.

• Like 1

My 'digital processing room' also has to serve other domestic uses, so I can't go too industrial...

Nevertheless, a few years ago I sourced some 23W / 1450 lumen Philips 'daylight' 6500K CFL lamps being touted as 'bluer, brighter, and better for health' than most domestic lamps for standard light fittings, the latter being of the order of 18W and about 2700K.

The room has rather a white ceiling and 'magnolia' (a kind of pale cream) walls, and the bulbs go into the normal glass fittings giving a light which closely matches the colour balance on my Eizo monitor. When doing any processing, I turn off the light nearest the monitor so that there is no glare on the monitor.

All in all, an effective and cheap solution.

Edited by Richardgb
typo
  • Like 1