Pinhole photography – images

marcg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It seems that pinhole photography is a pretty niche area but there are some discussions about it on this forum and maybe it would be helpful if they were all concentrated into a single thread on this sub- forum

Edited by marcg

• jaapv changed the title to Pinhole photography – images

How exciting. I couldn't resist a quick trial... I held my Rising Pinhole for Nikon backwards against my M10, and it worked, mostly. A bit of light leak around the bottom, the white haze. What is cool is how (relatively) in focus both the reflection of the porch and sky are and the Christmas Cactus on the other side of the double pane glass, inside. A bit awkward to do on a regular basis, LOL, but looking forward to making some better posts on this thread! ISO 3200, 1/15 sec handheld, levels adjustment in Capture One.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Gerbs
  • Like 2

Blooming... and I'm talking about the light leaking around my hand held backwards pinhole lens, out of desperation. So, please imagine better contrast and less haze, and see what life is like in the weeds! It's been so dry I haven't cut the grass, but these cousins of dandelions have gone crazy.

M10 with Rising Pinhole lens for Nikon held backwards onto the camera body, just for the fun of posting something.

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

• Like 13

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

Finally got an adapter for my Nikon mount pinhole lens

M10, pinhole, 1.5 sec, 1600 ISO

• Like 2

M10, pinhole, .7 sec, 1600 ISO

• Like 3

Field flowers with a pinhole lens

M10, 1/8 sec, 3200 ISO

• Like 3

Towels in the wind

M10M, Skink pinhole with Leica Macro-Adapter-M

• Like 6

Endeavor, Rockland harbor

• Like 3

Under renovation

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Gerbs said:

By the way, for anyone interested in the Skink pinhole, it is very nice, but...

...it took 45 days to arrive from Portugal to the US, and it shipped within a day or two from ordering on ebay.

Patience was needed.

I’ve got one of these, but found it a very tight fit on my M240. It frightened me off thinking it could cause damage to the camera.
Referring to your photos above, can I ask why you’re using a Leica macro-adapter-m, is it for the same reason I’ve mentioned?

2 hours ago, Steve Ricoh said:

I’ve got one of these, but found it a very tight fit on my M240. It frightened me off thinking it could cause damage to the camera.
Referring to your photos above, can I ask why you’re using a Leica macro-adapter-m, is it for the same reason I’ve mentioned?

I'm using it to change the pinhole from the equivalent of a 24mm lens to between a 42mm and a 54mm lens, and a zoom lens at that, LOL. As the pinhole moves away from the sensor it becomes more and more of a telephoto lens.Theoretically I think you'd want a slightly larger and larger pinhole as you move away, but as you can see it works fine within this range. The fit of the Skink itself into both the adapter and into the M10M and the M10 is fine, is perfect, for my equipment. Snug, but not tight, with no play or looseness when fully seated. Just as it should be. The anodized finish on the aluminum of the Skink is a bit less smooth than the plating on lenses, so is a little louder to mount and unmount, but not a concern on my part.

PS: I've been posting pinhole images in other threads now too, :)

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Gerbs said:

I'm using it to change the pinhole from the equivalent of a 24mm lens to between a 42mm and a 54mm lens, and a zoom lens at that, LOL. As the pinhole moves away from the sensor it becomes more and more of a telephoto lens.Theoretically I think you'd want a slightly larger and larger pinhole as you move away, but as you can see it works fine within this range. The fit of the Skink itself into both the adapter and into the M10M and the M10 is fine, is perfect, for my equipment. Snug, but not tight, with no play or looseness when fully seated. Just as it should be. The anodized finish on the aluminum of the Skink is a bit less smooth than the plating on lenses, so is a little louder to mount and unmount, but not a concern on my part.

PS: I've been posting pinhole images in other threads now too, :)

Thanks Gerbs.

I’ve been looking at the interface again, maybe I can get away with twisting the Skink just a bit instead of all the way into full lock. Just enough to be light-tight. 

I don't know whether this is at all a solution – maybe some people will advise.

Divers – and also in medicine, sometimes use a tiny smear – meaning that you put some on your finger, rub it in and then simply rub your finger around the joint – of silicon grease/lubricant.

I wonder how appropriate/inappropriate it might be to making the fitting of a skink pinhole lens to a Leica camera a little easier?

Edited by marcg

4 minutes ago, marcg said:

I don't know whether this is at all a solution – maybe some people will advise.

Divers – and also in medicine, sometimes use a tiny smear – meaning that you put some on your finger, rub it in and then simply rub your finger around the joint – of silicon grease/lubricant.

I wonder how appropriate/inappropriate it might be to making the fitting of a skink pinhole lens to a Leica camera a little easier?

That might be a very good idea. I would think that divers would use a lubricant that doesn't de-gas, like a petroleum based one would (which could put a coating on your sensor!) Best might be to use some of the kind of grease that is actually used inside lenses, put it on and then wipe off as much as you can, to leave a microscope, if not molecular, layer in the pores of the anodizing.

Another alternative, if you feel that it is "almost" a good fit, is to just wear it in, tighten it as far as you dare, then loosen, tighten, loosen... maybe 10 or 20 times and see if micro-polishing is all it needed. If you don't feel any improvement, then your solution of just not installing it all the way would also be fine, by my thinking. Or, of course, you could try to exchange it with Skink!

• Like 1