Rumour: 2 New Heritage Lenses

Mark T

Advertisement (gone after registration)

16 hours ago, Arrow said:

A future comparison of the re-edition Noctilux 1.2 with the Zeiss ZM Sonnar 1.5/50 might be interesting. 

Since the Double Gauss and Sonnar designs are very different and render quite differently it's not clear what difference(s) you think you might see that you won't see today when comparing a fast Double Gauss with a fast Sonnar of similar focal length.

Pete.

6 hours ago, farnz said:

Since the Double Gauss and Sonnar designs are very different and render quite differently it's not clear what difference(s) you think you might see that you won't see today when comparing a fast Double Gauss with a fast Sonnar of similar focal length.

Pete.

I am sure there will be a difference and I am curious what that difference will be like. 

6 hours ago, james.liam said:

You can find reams of images from both lenses over the past decades. Your curiosity need not wait.

The new lens might have a different coating. That could affect the wide open rendering. From what I did see online, the 1.2 is not very good at 1.2. Technically and aesthetically, to my personal taste. Maybe, the new one is different in that respect.

11 minutes ago, Arrow said:

The new lens might have a different coating. That could affect the wide open rendering. From what I did see online, the 1.2 is not very good at 1.2. Technically and aesthetically, to my personal taste. Maybe, the new one is different in that respect.

It is a remake of a classic lens, it is not a modern lens, that is the whole point of it. It will probably be just like the Summaron, e.g. very similar, except slightly more contrast.
It is good at f/1.2 in the center and it becomes very good already at f/1.4, certainly better than the Canon 50mm f/1.2 LTM from that era (which was cheaper of course) but it shouldn't be compared to a modern lens.
I use lenses that are softer than this (Canon 85mm f/1.5 LTM) and I have no trouble with the softness, but it can be stepped down if necessary.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Arrow said:

Work off what differences you will see in the 28 Summaron but less so, since the Noctilux in question was ~25 years newer. It's a collector's piece of a bygone time. Like a Porsche 550 Spyder or Corvette of the early 50's, these are cherished relics that in real-life are greatly limited by the technology of the time.

Edited by james.liam
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, pedaes said:

Not much point in buying a Noctilux and stopping it down🙂

There is, you have the choice of making the image softer or sharper (decrease the aberrations) and there is an aperture inside the lens, might as well use it (that is one thing that they might change with this re-issue, and it might not have 16 blades anymore)
Using it wide-open all the time becomes a one-trick pony, that's just my view on it. Although I use the 75 Summilux wide-open a lot, sometimes I just step it down to f/1.7 (already quite a bit sharper) f/2.0 or f/2.8 it still won't look similar to a Summicron or a Summarit.

Edited by padam
  • Like 1