Miops Smart + Camera Trigger and SL2

osroubek

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a Miops Smart + trigger and was trying to see how it can be configured to possibly use with the SL2. The Smart trigger requires a 2.5 mm 3 pole (TRS) pin but the SL2 needs to be the 3.5 mm 4 pole (TRRS) pin. This can be seen in the photo for the Leica remote control. I found an inexpensive short cable with the correct ends but it is not triggering the camera. I've tried either port in the camera ( mic or headphone) but to no avail. The connection between the trigger and the camera can only be done with a cable. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I successfully went down this road a few years ago with the SL. Unfortunately, I didn't save my notes or remember exactly how it was accomplished. If my memory serves me correctly, it involves purchasing a Leica remote controller, item number 16066. I then took it apart and had the Miops trigger the Leica controller. I believe two of the wires activated the AF, but that may have been a different camera. About two weeks ago I received an SL2 and also purchased another remote controller (16066) to set it up again. Just make sure you trace it all out with a multimeter. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

10 hours ago, osroubek said:

I have a Miops Smart + trigger and was trying to see how it can be configured to possibly use with the SL2. The Smart trigger requires a 2.5 mm 3 pole (TRS) pin but the SL2 needs to be the 3.5 mm 4 pole (TRRS) pin. This can be seen in the photo for the Leica remote control. I found an inexpensive short cable with the correct ends but it is not triggering the camera. I've tried either port in the camera ( mic or headphone) but to no avail. The connection between the trigger and the camera can only be done with a cable. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. 

I guess the problem is that there are two different protocols for the TRRS-plug (https://www.headphonesty.com/2019/04/headphone-jacks-plugs-explained/); and that the TRRS-end of your cable happen to use the "wrong" protocol. Actually, I am fiddling with the same thing; waiting for a few TRS to TRRS adapter-plugs to arrive. MIOPS will work - its 'only' a question to get the pins connected to the correct cable...

Thanks for your reply. I just received a reply from the folks at Miops and they said I need an audio plug that is 2.5 mm on one end to plug into the smart trigger and a 4 pole 3.5 mm for the other end which is exactly what I have. I see your point in what protocol is used but how can you tell?

2 hours ago, osroubek said:

Thanks for your reply. I just received a reply from the folks at Miops and they said I need an audio plug that is 2.5 mm on one end to plug into the smart trigger and a 4 pole 3.5 mm for the other end which is exactly what I have. I see your point in what protocol is used but how can you tell?

You can either measure which contacts 'talk' to each other or - which I typically do - open up the cable and put on a plug with the correct connections (for the latter, see the link in post #5). One should be a little careful not to shortcut anything... 

Hi,

I have a SL2 and I have to trigger it with a LR timelapse Pro Timer or an Emotimo Spectrum. To do that, I have bought the official SL2 remote. I bought a 2.5 jack trigger cable, cutted it, and then I opened the remote, made a little hole to insert the cut cable, and welded 2 of the 3 cables on the contacts. There are some teminations between the cables in the SL2 remote. I think you must have them to have a functional trigger.

My setup works fine and I can continue to use the remote in standalone.

So, you have to find a friend with a welding unit and you'll be ok.

regards

Edited by Mdol
  • Thanks 1

On 8/25/2020 at 12:37 AM, osroubek said:

I can confirm that MIPOS with the Panasonic S1/S1R cable, plus the 2.5mm to 3.5 mm TRRS adapter https://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Adapter-Jack-Mic-Stereo-Earphone-Car-Phones-3-5mm-Male-to-2-5mm-Female-Aux/352947462426?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649 works on SL2. Other 2.5mm to 3.5 mm TRRS adapters may also work, but this has to be tested since the TRRS-protocol is (unfortunately) not unique.

Thanks for the update! I have been trying countless cable combinations. The 4 pole combination that works in the SL2 is a mystery. Above items ordered and will report back as well, but nevertheless encouraging news. What made you decide to try the Panasonic cable? I thought the Panasonic and SL2 were entirely different in regards to the wiring with remote controls etc.

11 minutes ago, osroubek said:

Thanks for the update! I have been trying countless cable combinations. The 4 pole combination that works in the SL2 is a mystery. Above items ordered and will report back as well, but nevertheless encouraging news. What made you decide to try the Panasonic cable? I thought the Panasonic and SL2 were entirely different in regards to the wiring with remote controls etc.

Both uses the TRRS-plug ;), and they 'borrow' tech/electronics from each other, so what works on Panasonic might work on Leica as well. In addition, I use SL2 and S1R in parallel; so the Pana-cable was already in-house... 

Let me all add that the mentioned adapter looks nicely made, although only prolonged use will tell.

Edited by helged