What is the future of the X line??

ConnerLawson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica seem to be devoting more attention to the development of the M, SL and TL camera systems, and have paid less and less attention to the X line.  The original X1 became the X2 and then X-E.  The Vario has been discontinued and Leica stated that it won't be getting a new model.  The X 113 doesn't seem to be faring much better with no upgrade in sight and no firmware upgrades, either.

Is there any sign of the X line developing further, or will Leica maintain the remaining models and then quietly drop them from production?  This would be quite a shame as I think large sensor fixed lens cameras are useful and have a lot of potential.

There is no future, the X line is dead. The X U was released 4 1/2 years ago and it was the same old X 113 from 2014 with water resistance capability. Leica migrate to the T-TL-TL2-CL cameras since. I had the X1 and X 113, and the X 113 lost the charm of the X1 of being pocketable and able to carry everywhere. 

Leica pioneered the high-quality, fixed lens, compact APS-C format camera in launching the X1, the results of which were accepted by leading stock photo agencies. I bought one at the outset. It was not perfect, but progressive refinement could have kept it in the lead. Sadly, Fuji took over this niche specification and Leica lost interest. Since then the world has changed and I wonder whether there is a market for a revivified super X1 from Leica. Who knows? Leica might still have a surprise up their sleeves. But don't hold your breath. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wda said:

Leica pioneered the high-quality, fixed lens, compact APS-C format camera in launching the X1...

Actually the pioneer was Sigma with the SD1 from 2006. The X1 was released 3 years later in 2009. 

5 hours ago, rivi1969 said:

Actually the pioneer was Sigma with the SD1 from 2006. The X1 was released 3 years later in 2009. 

Did you mean the DP1? The "SD1" was an interchangeable-lens (not fixed-lens) SLR from 2010.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well, the DP1 was introduced in 2006. The DP2 came in 2008, and was the camera that eventually lead me to the X1. Both - DP2 and X1 - have served me well, over years, and rarely left anything to be desired in terms of IQ. The X1 still ranks high for me (I still use it) - the combination of lens, image quality and handling were and are exceptional. With a auto-lens closure the camera can be operated with one hand, very valuable in climbing/alpinism applications. Sure, there are the Q and CL series, and the Fujis. When every gram counts, the X1 still ranks above them all with its weight and dimensions.
I also wish the X comes back. APS-H sensor, AA-filterless and monochrom would suit her well. But demand governs the product line.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2020 at 8:19 PM, ConnerLawson said:

Leica seem to be devoting more attention to the development of the M, SL and TL camera systems, and have paid less and less attention to the X line.  The original X1 became the X2 and then X-E.  The Vario has been discontinued and Leica stated that it won't be getting a new model.  The X 113 doesn't seem to be faring much better with no upgrade in sight and no firmware upgrades, either. omegle xender

Is there any sign of the X line developing further, or will Leica maintain the remaining models and then quietly drop them from production?  This would be quite a shame as I think large sensor fixed lens cameras are useful and have a lot of potential.

thank you my issue has been solved

I had both the X1 &XVario, both excellent in their own right.. IMHO I think the CL range covers most of the general requirements and is of course  a higher tech piece of equipment.. Lovely as it was, the X1 is dated as is the 10year old sports car.. I would certainly go for a Leica refurbished example for both the competence of the camera allied to nostalgia.. Whilst the D-Lux 7 is not in the X1 class, it is definitely worthy of carrying the Red Dot..  L

14 minutes ago, lykaman said:

I had both the X1 &XVario, both excellent in their own right.. IMHO I think the CL range covers most of the general requirements and is of course  a higher tech piece of equipment.. Lovely as it was, the X1 is dated as is the 10year old sports car.. I would certainly go for a Leica refurbished example for both the competence of the camera allied to nostalgia.. Whilst the D-Lux 7 is not in the X1 class, it is definitely worthy of carrying the Red Dot..  L

I concur your conclusion regarding performance and the CL. However, nothing in the current Leica line-up competes with the compactness of the X1.

• Like 2

...and the weight. The X1 has never been my main camera, rather a complementary camera to analog Ms (or to the Contax T3, oh what a combination) in the past, and now to the M Monochrom or my Bessa III. While the CL is certainly better in most aspects, the X1 is (for me) the best "beater" and 2nd camera to have.

Anything bigger and heavier than the X1 defeats the purpose of such a camera for me. I had an X-E2 with a pancake, and a T. Nice cameras, probably better than the X1, but already too large as a 2nd camera, at least when carrying it alongside an M, or or on its own when weight matters (long road bike ride, fast & light ski tour, etc). That is why I sold both in the end and got another X1. All highly subjective, but bottom line is that for me, the X series would have a place.

As a stand-alone system, the CL is superior, no question.

Edited by Peter_S
  • Like 1