Has anybody purchased directly from Leica's US online shop?

logan2z

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I normally try and purchase Leica products from brick-and-mortar Leica dealers to help keep these places alive and to help build a more personal relationship, but it seems like nobody has stock of the lens I'm looking to purchase right now, including the stores with a big online presence like B&H here in the US.  The Leica USA online shop does, however, show the lens in stock.  Although I told myself I'd hold out until an actual dealer got the lens in stock, I'm starting to get tempted to purchase it directly from Leica.  The one thing I'm a bit concerned about is after-sales customer service in the unlikely event that there is something wrong with the lens on arrival (or soon after).  The fact that I asked a pre-sales question via the online shop's 'contact us' link and never got a reply didn't give me a good feeling.  

So, has anyone here purchased a product directly from the Leica US online shop?  If so, how was the experience?

Edited by logan2z

1 hour ago, zeitz said:

I've always been pleased with Camera West in Walnut Creek.  And you have a Leica Store in SF.  Are neither of them able to get the lens for you?

To be honest, I haven't had great experiences at either.  Well, the Camera West store in Walnut Creek has been ok, but I've usually communicated with their internet sales person who has been very unresponsive, even when I had an issue with a Hasselblad camera that I purchased there (I rarely get to Walnut Creek in-person since I live over an hour away) .  And although I purchased my M-A, a lens, and a bunch of other stuff at the Leica Store in SF, I've found their customer service lacking as well.  Both places are owned by the same people so I think they have some work to do to improve things.  So my business has gone to the Leica Store in Miami whose CS is excellent.  Unfortunately they don't currently have the lens.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I submitted an online request months ago from the Leica Store to notify me if a certain lens came in, just as a test; I wasn’t really interested.  Never heard back, even though I’ve seen the lens listed as available since.  I’ll stick to reputable dealers. There are many that have proved helpful to me over the years, including but not limited to Leica Miami. 

Jeff

51 minutes ago, logan2z said:

Which Leica store are you referring to Jeff, San Francisco or somewhere else?

Your topic, the US online Leica Store.  That’s why I said I’d stick with reputable Leica dealers, of which there are many.

Jeff

Advertisement (gone after registration)

20 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

Your topic, the US online Leica Store.  That’s why I said I’d stick with reputable Leica dealers, of which there are many.

Jeff

Got it, thanks for clarifying. 

It seems like there are cases where Leica and it's online store have stock of an item but they don't make said stock available to dealers.  

Edited by logan2z

1 hour ago, logan2z said:

It seems like there are cases where Leica and it's online store have stock of an item but they don't make said stock available to dealers.  

The online store is just another sales outlet, an alternative to a retail storefront.  Leica determines allocation, whether online, to owned stores or to others.  Lately it seems that the online store has taken priority, followed by Leica owned stores. My only point was that my notification request to the online outlet went unanswered, so I wasn’t impressed with the lack of response.  However, many here have indicated quick delivery after placing an order once shown as available for purchase online.  I prefer talking personally with a human. 

I don’t know which lens you’re seeking, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it could be found quickly given enough calls to dealers, big and small, across states. I’ve done just that a couple of times and found what I wanted in a matter of hours, at the same time there were folks here dealing with months long wait lists. Usually, though, I’m not in a hurry.

Jeff

I purchased my SL2 from the online store, no problems whatsoever. I ordered it and they shipped it the next day.

It was during the time when no dealers had any stock and one just happened to appear at the online store, which they did occasionally.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jeff S said:

The online store is just another sales outlet, an alternative to a retail storefront.  Leica determines allocation, whether online, to owned stores or to others.  Lately it seems that the online store has taken priority, followed by Leica owned stores. My only point was that my notification request to the online outlet went unanswered, so I wasn’t impressed with the lack of response.  However, many here have indicated quick delivery after placing an order once shown as available for purchase online.  I prefer talking personally with a human. 

I don’t know which lens you’re seeking, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it could be found quickly given enough calls to dealers, big and small, across states. I’ve done just that a couple of times and found what I wanted in a matter of hours, at the same time there were folks here dealing with months long wait lists. Usually, though, I’m not in a hurry.

Jeff

I wasn't in a big hurry initially, but seem to be getting a bit antsy now :) 

I'm looking for the standard Summicron 50mm, certainly nothing rare or exotic.  I've called around a bit but haven't found one yet. I emailed another very well known US dealer who advertises here and got no reply.  Business must be good!

13 hours ago, wellfleet said:

I purchased my SL2 from the online store, no problems whatsoever. I ordered it and they shipped it the next day.

It was during the time when no dealers had any stock and one just happened to appear at the online store, which they did occasionally.

Thanks, good to hear. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, logan2z said:

I'm looking for the standard Summicron 50mm, certainly nothing rare or exotic.  

Assuming you mean the M mount, not SL, I found one in seconds at Leica Store DC.  You can also check the following.
https://www.popflash.com/11826

http://www.tamarkin.com/products/m-series/lenses

There are many other good dealers as well.

Jeff

7 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

Assuming you mean the M mount, not SL, I found one in seconds at Leica Store DC.  You can also check the following.
https://www.popflash.com/11826

http://www.tamarkin.com/products/m-series/lenses

There are many other good dealers as well.

Jeff

Thanks, yes, M mount.  I hadn't checked DC.

Tamarkin is who I emailed with no response.  I know I could use the phone instead, but this is 2020 and I grew up in the internet age, so tend to default to/favor online communication. 

Edited by logan2z

1 minute ago, logan2z said:

Thanks, yes, M mount.  I hadn't checked DC. 

Tamarkin is who I emailed with no response.  I know I could use the phone instead, but this is 2020 and I grew up in the internet age, so tend to default to online communication. 

Phone calls work...in seconds.  I called DC for you.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

2 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

Phone calls work...in seconds.

Jeff

Probably true.  And the contradiction in my desire to buy from a store with a 'face' and my preference for faceless online communication isn't lost on me 🙂

Thanks again. 

27 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

In case you didn’t see my edit, I confirmed by phone with DC before posting here.  Literally seconds... spoke with Louis, a real person.  This lens is so common, I bet I could locate a half dozen of them in 5 minutes.

Jeff

I did, thanks. 

Maybe I got unlucky, but I had checked with a handful of dealers and none of them had it in stock. I'll give DC a call. 

• 4 weeks later...

I was on the Leica Camera USA site looking at M accessories and noticed the importer has a shop, so I clicked on it and discovered, to my surprise, they had a black M10R so I bought it.  While I'm, of course, pleased that I was able to get an M10R, I'm curious as to why the Leica importer, who parcels shipments from Leica to all the Leica Stores and dealers in the US is able, at the same time, to compete with those they supply?

I posted this on "Leica M system/Leica M10/Leica M10-R shipping" a day ago and realized I should have added to this thread.