M2 and viewfinder “upgrade”

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My M2 has a hazy viewfinder, and it’s starting to bother me, so I will send it to Youxin for a cleaning and general service. He has offered me a viewfinder glass upgrade, which seems to be just multi coated glass.

Will this make a difference? Or should I say, a positive difference? 
I love the clarity of these old viewfinders as they are - it’s like simply viewing through a clear window. Will the multi coated glass “tint” this view?

Newer M models, such as the MP and M7, which I believe use this multicoated glass, seemed slightly darker to me. All of my digital Ms have seemed darker as well. 

I’ve never had flare issues with this M2, and I don’t want to ruin a good thing. Is there any other advantage to this “upgrade” that I might be missing?

DAG upgraded my M6 with both the "flare fix" (for post-M4 models - M2 doesn't have the issue) and multicoated windows. (Youxin had previously talked about the improvement of the MC windows.) DAG said he didn't think the MC windows were worth the cost, but it sure improved my M6.

The clarity / contrast seems better, and it may be a touch "cooler" in tone. Overall I'm glad to have done it.

• Like 1

Youxin did the multicoated window upgrade to an M2, it's worth the extra cost. It makes the window a bit brighter and the image clearer. While he has it, consider the steel strap lug upgrade.

3 hours ago, madNbad said:

Youxin did the multicoated window upgrade to an M2, it's worth the extra cost. It makes the window a bit brighter and the image clearer. While he has it, consider the steel strap lug upgrade.

Thanks. Good to hear.

I asked about the lugs and he said the parts from Leica are defective and they aren't usable.

6 hours ago, TomB_tx said:

DAG upgraded my M6 with both the "flare fix" (for post-M4 models - M2 doesn't have the issue) and multicoated windows. (Youxin had previously talked about the improvement of the MC windows.) DAG said he didn't think the MC windows were worth the cost, but it sure improved my M6.

The clarity / contrast seems better, and it may be a touch "cooler" in tone. Overall I'm glad to have done it.

Thanks Tom. 

If you're going to have the viewfinder window cleaned, DAG camera has the M4 aperture replacement which provides a larger area of view than the original M2. You could order one yourself then have it sent to YE Cameras. It was one of the best upgrades to the M2 finder and the part is fourteen dollars.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

11 hours ago, madNbad said:

If you're going to have the viewfinder window cleaned, DAG camera has the M4 aperture replacement which provides a larger area of view than the original M2. You could order one yourself then have it sent to YE Cameras. It was one of the best upgrades to the M2 finder and the part is fourteen dollars.

Thanks for that! Very cool upgrade. Part is on its way.

• 2 weeks later...