SL2 post Firmware 2.0 update occasionally freezing

Shashinka

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Lucio since you got it back will you say it fixed your freezing? So its not the hot shoe its the shutter you believe thats causing us issues? Sad part ...... after mailing my camera off on Tuesday of last week.....Nov 17th, I reached out on Friday as I was told my cameras assessment could be rushed....I reach out just to share tracking as directed to find that during the week they had a positive COVID-19 Case at the facility in New Jersey......They aren’t supposed to open back up until December 1st. No loaner....no nothing....MY Luck and I hope everyone involved there gets well but DAMN I’m screwed as I’ve been booked so man times and my camera is hostage..... 😞 

Edited by dathinc

8 hours ago, dathinc said:

Lucio since you got it back will you say it fixed your freezing? So its not the hot shoe its the shutter you believe thats causing us issues? Sad part ...... after mailing my camera off on Tuesday of last week.....Nov 17th, I reached out on Friday as I was told my cameras assessment could be rushed....I reach out just to share tracking as directed to find that during the week they had a positive COVID-19 Case at the facility in New Jersey......They aren’t supposed to open back up until December 1st. No loaner....no nothing....MY Luck and I hope everyone involved there gets well but DAMN I’m screwed as I’ve been booked so man times and my camera is hostage..... 😞 

Not sure if anything changed, but all repair of SL2 and SL lenses are done in Germany . they just ship it international for you so that you don't have to deal with Custom.
That is why I fixed it myself. Was not ready to wait 2 month for it to come back.

7 hours ago, Photoworks said:

Not sure if anything changed, but all repair of SL2 and SL lenses are done in Germany . they just ship it international for you so that you don't have to deal with Custom.
That is why I fixed it myself. Was not ready to wait 2 month for it to come back.

Things have obviously changed. I wasn’t take a guess I was informing folks of what I'm taking care of. That may have been the case in the past but it isn't the case now according to support. Tell me about what it was you fixed and which body it to was. SL or SL2? What did you fix? It's a $6000 camera body.... Lmfao I'm not fixing that myself and if they can’t I may have to remove myself from this beautiful luxury brand. I didn't but a Honda or Toyota lol....in so many ways we got the lambo’s. Thanks for your input but I was told them would repair there. Will see if they message me other wise ill be pissed. 

2 hours ago, dathinc said:

Things have obviously changed. I wasn’t take a guess I was informing folks of what I'm taking care of. That may have been the case in the past but it isn't the case now according to support. Tell me about what it was you fixed and which body it to was. SL or SL2? What did you fix? It's a $6000 camera body.... Lmfao I'm not fixing that myself and if they can’t I may have to remove myself from this beautiful luxury brand. I didn't but a Honda or Toyota lol....in so many ways we got the lambo’s. Thanks for your input but I was told them would repair there. Will see if they message me other wise ill be pissed. 

LOL yes off corse. I just had the eye rubber come off the SL2 

I did open up the 24-90mm lens. It was getting stack on the zoom. There where a few screws where loose inside. 

9 hours ago, Max EPR said:

I had the same freezing issue on a brand new SL2. I was advised to reformat the cards with SD Formatter. After I reformatted my SD cards the freezing issue stopped. That was 4 months ago.  https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/

I went through all that but the big thing is the fact it doesn't freeze if the trigger isn't used in the hot shoe. I've formatted and reformated several SD CARDS......4 different sets at the point. 🤷🏾‍♂️ they told me to mail it back like alonth ago and then when I do....he goes COVID :-(

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 25/11/2020 at 05:38, dathinc said:

Lucio da quando l'hai riavuto dirai che ha risolto il tuo congelamento? Quindi non è il pattino caldo, è l'otturatore che credi ci stia causando problemi? Parte triste ... dopo aver spedito la mia fotocamera martedì della scorsa settimana ... 17 novembre, ho contattato venerdì perché mi è stato detto che la valutazione della mia fotocamera poteva essere affrettata ... condividi il monitoraggio come indicato per scoprire che durante la settimana hanno avuto un caso COVID-19 positivo presso la struttura nel New Jersey ... Non dovrebbero riaprire fino al 1 ° dicembre. Nessun prestito .... niente di niente .... la mia fortuna e spero che tutti i soggetti coinvolti respinge bene, ma dannatamente sono fregato come ho prenotato in modo volte uomo e la mia macchina fotografica è in ostaggio ..... 😞 

Since my SL2 came back from Wetzlar I have not had any more problems, now it is exceptional.

Have the same problem with my SL2. Froze 5 times during a wedding shoot today. Certainly not the SD card at fault as I tried 3 different ones. I did use the Godox Fuji on camera flash on manual though. I never had a problem before while using the Godox Canon on camera flash. I’ll try the canon again tomorrow. 

I suspect it’s an issue with Godox systems? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/5/2020 at 1:16 AM, Darthaddie said:

Have the same problem with my SL2. Froze 5 times during a wedding shoot today. Certainly not the SD card at fault as I tried 3 different ones. I did use the Godox Fuji on camera flash on manual though. I never had a problem before while using the Godox Canon on camera flash. I’ll try the canon again tomorrow. 

I had problems with the sony version. but the canon godox work fine.
You can always tape down the contacts on the hot-shoe and use the middle pin only.

In the German Wetzlar store livestream yesterday they talked about the complains of flash triggers , and that they are talking to profoto about a solution.
It all takes time, but Leica is a company that lisens if enough people make the request. TTL would be a great addition. Current SF-60 has so many problems

Occasionally my LCD freezes and subsequently the whole camera locks up, while using Westcott X2 Flash transmitter set to Nikon setting. It happens about 2-3 times a shoot. Remedy is Powering camera off, ejecting battery, putting battery back in and turning on the camera. The camera then behaves normally. Hoping a Firmware update could solve this?

Edited by mtittel
incomplete thinking

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/5/2020 at 1:16 AM, Darthaddie said:

I was told by the folks at Leica store Washington DC and several others from Leica support that Nikon was the way to go as far as triggers goes. They said the reason being is the Nikons middle hotshoe pin is whats used(etc)? All that you write Darthaddie I've experienced. I shot a wedding......I took over 4K images in almost every way/mode possible (natural light) and never had the camera freeze a single time. Come back to our studio on one of our strobe session nights the following monday and boom (let the freezing begin). At our studio there is one of every associated godox/flashpoint triggers for every brand....nikon...sony....fuji.....canon.....etc. I gave them all a shot. On the techical side because with propriatery triggers and the not so flag ship branded triggers and I feel as those the hotshoe widths aren't EXACTLY the same size. I was even able to make it freeze up using a pocket wizard trigger and that thing only has a single pin on it. I def was thinking something was going on inside of the camera and it was my goxdox trigger. All of those triggers including canon would send my SL2 into a froozen/unresponsive state that was only curable by removing the battery. I used the cheapest SD cards I own and as a last ditch effort I purchased a set of promaster velocity SD Sine cards (thinking maybe my older ones were too slow) that maybe my SD's were trash.....played with all the little possible formating situations that people speak of as causing issues.......NOTHING different happened and my camera continued to freeze. Leica's support was fast to reply to explaination but i was reluctant to mail it back with so many shoots coming up. I bit the bullet and mailed the thing back and the same damn week I mailed it in they had like 2 positive covid tests and delayed and screwed up everything as far as time of repair completion. They mailed me a loaner Leica S2 and a 70mm. I explained i needed glass and they accomodated that as well. That was nice of them but I had really adjusted to using my SL2 lol. Once sent in and received I asked what was found and not sure if this is standard but......below are the tech notes she sent back (purple). Maybe a known issue exists (not sure). I asked if the camera would be returned with accompanied tech notes and haven't gotten a reply back yet. Either way I will share the results of my repair with you guys once i get it back which should sometime next week. I asked about the (replace leather) and honestly didn't know there was even leather on the camera body.....she said it has to be cut open to do this type of repair so replacing that is required...... it feels strange with such a intensive repair being done but i trust them as they claim there equipment repairs meet the highest standards in the industry (lol) i pray. PS if you send your camera in know it will be atleast a month....they promised to expodite mine before the COVID thing and I still ended up waiting a bit over a month. 

* replace printed board

* replace leather

* check, adjust, clean

On 12/20/2020 at 12:28 PM, Photoworks said:

I had problems with the sony version. but the canon godox work fine.
You can always tape down the contacts on the hot-shoe and use the middle pin only.

In the German Wetzlar store livestream yesterday they talked about the complains of flash triggers , and that they are talking to profoto about a solution.
It all takes time, but Leica is a company that lisens if enough people make the request. TTL would be a great addition. Current SF-60 has so many problems

Yea it seems they do listen and whole heartedly think they should offer more technical input for strobist lol. I understand theres alot of tech can things going on with these triggers but they are soft of dumb piece of hardware that work off of a short/closure that all. Its not doing much.....as I mentioned in my previous reply they replaced the printed board in mine and I hope to have it back and be able to explain if it changes anything. Ill follow up with you Photoworks. I pray.....id love to speak to a SL or SL2-S

On 1/16/2021 at 9:53 AM, MoWa said:

My SL2 is now on its way to Leica I Germany to be serviced. I hope I get it back soon. Could be interesting  to see what they have to do to make it work.

I got mine back, they replaced the board in it. Seems to be fine. I will follow up after a long day of studio shooting.