Leica X1 taken ill today

wda

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I bought my Leica X1 new soon after it was launched in March 2010. It has been a staunch companion, yielding many fine pictures over the years. I use it every week mainly, nowadays, for pictures at home. After one successful shot yesterday, one minute later, focusing failed and the lens refused to retract.

A change to a a spare fully charged battery had the surprising effect of causing the lens to retract when switched on and immediately extend again. There it remains even when powered down.

In summary, the menu and most functions work as expected, except for auto and manual focusing and lens parking when camera is switched off.  Totally unrelated to the above account, when replacing the battery, that moment was chosen for the tiny battery-retaining catch to 'pop out'. I saved it.

Next week I will report my faults to Customer Care at Leica UK and will update this story for the benefit of interested X1 owners. Meanwhile I welcome reports of any similar occurrences within our Leica community. It would be interesting to know how many members of this forum still possess their Leica X1 cameras when bought and retained from new.

Edited by wda

That’s a shame.

I bought mine new and still have it. Haven’t used it for a while though as it has the temperamental Panny rocker thing on the back, which makes it a bit of a pain.

Great little camera when it works properly though, with a superb lens.

• Like 1

Really sorry to read/hear this David.  I loved the X1 but my concerns when I had mine, were two: that the flash would eventually break (remain extended) and that the lens might also become compromised (I realize that is less common).  I've never been a fan of lenses that are driven by a motor to extend, and a feature I loved about the original Contax T design, albeit a camera that had other issues :).

All that said, the X1 produces beautiful pictures and I hope you get yours working!  It would be fun to see a pic or two here if you'd care to post.

David

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/22/2020 at 2:09 PM, wda said:

I bought my Leica X1 new soon after it was launched in March 2010. It has been a staunch companion, yielding many fine pictures over the years. I use it every week mainly, nowadays, for pictures at home. After one successful shot yesterday, one minute later, focusing failed and the lens refused to retract.

A change to a a spare fully charged battery had the surprising effect of causing the lens to retract when switched on and immediately extend again. There it remains even when powered down.

In summary, the menu and most functions work as expected, except for auto and manual focusing and lens parking when camera is switched off.  Totally unrelated to the above account, when replacing the battery, that moment was chosen for the tiny battery-retaining catch to 'pop out'. I saved it.

Next week I will report my faults to Customer Care at Leica UK and will update this story for the benefit of interested X1 owners. Meanwhile I welcome reports of any similar occurrences within our Leica community. It would be interesting to know how many members of this forum still possess their Leica X1 cameras when bought and retained from new.

I am now able to give an update on the reported problem.

I have received my repaired Leica X1 camera from Customer Care Leica London and all is working as expected. The cause of the problem was ‘Faulty lens motor position sensor’. Quoting from the estimate, remedial work included:
‘Dismantle lens unit fully, clean optic, clean lens gearing, replace motor sensors, check guides and light traps,
Check shutter and central gear unit reset motor positions;
Fit new battery catch and upgrade pop-up flash mechanism;
Reassemble full camera cleaning and checking all internal components
Adjustment of all parts.
The battery catch and flash upgrade are carried out for free as the camera is already being dismantled’.

The total cost was £150 plus VAT which I thought was reasonable considering the probable difficulty of finding a factory serviced replacement with its current repaired working condition. I am very pleased to have it back. It may be outshone by younger and more sophisticated models, but it excels as a truly pocketable precision compact camera capable of producing excellent results.

I hope an account of my experience will give heart to any owner of a faulty X1 camera. It is reassuring that selected replacement parts are still available when working through Leica customer care channels.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, wda said:

I am now able to give an update on the reported problem.

I have received my repaired Leica X1 camera from Customer Care Leica London and all is working as expected. The cause of the problem was ‘Faulty lens motor position sensor’. Quoting from the estimate, remedial work included:
‘Dismantle lens unit fully, clean optic, clean lens gearing, replace motor sensors, check guides and light traps,
Check shutter and central gear unit reset motor positions;
Fit new battery catch and upgrade pop-up flash mechanism;
Reassemble full camera cleaning and checking all internal components
Adjustment of all parts.
The battery catch and flash upgrade are carried out for free as the camera is already being dismantled’.

The total cost was £150 plus VAT which I thought was reasonable considering the probable difficulty of finding a factory serviced replacement with its current repaired working condition. I am very pleased to have it back. It may be outshone by younger and more sophisticated models, but it excels as a truly pocketable precision compact camera capable of producing excellent results.

I hope an account of my experience will give heart to any owner of a faulty X1 camera. It is reassuring that selected replacement parts are still available when working through Leica customer care channels.

Thats probably the best money ever spent on any camera, let alone a Leica..   Your chuffed I'm sure...   L

• Like 1

Further to my post #5 above, I have also discovered that the dismantling and cleaning of the interior of the camera might account for my not experiencing picture juddering when reviewing recorded images. That was an irritant suffered by several X1 owners.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2020 at 10:26 AM, wda said:

That sounds a reasonable repair cost.

My X1 new January 2011 is still going strong.

I did have an issue with it after 4 months when a large dust spot appeared on the sensor. How it ended up there I don't know - but that resulted in a 6 weeks holiday back to Wetzlar under warranty for a clean. 

Not used as much now as I once did but it is useful to take into areas where taking more valuable kit might not be sensible or where bulk is an issue.  

The small grey battery clip broke last year when I was putting the battery back after a recharge - but the battery door seems to hold the battery firmly in place and the camera works okay.

Good to hear the are still repairing them for a reasonable sum.  

John

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I only read this post now, as usually late at the party !

I bought the x1 december 2010, I dropped a couple of time in the ten years of ownership, but always like to use it because of size and weight.

Last january I decided to send it to Wetzlar becaus the sensor was very dirty and you know you need to "open" tha camera in order to clean it (this is why I do not like ths kind of retractile lens, soon or later dust will enter, same problem with my wife's D-109).

Unfortunatlly as soon as the camera was sent the covid arrived in Europe with all the related consequences, lockdown and factories closed, Leica Wetzlar included. Therefore it took more time than forecasted to have it back (not a Leica fault) but wehn the x1 arrived at the beginning of summer I really enjoyed it.

I still use it when I desire a lighter  smaller kit than the M10 and the results are still superb. I do not remeber the cost, I think less than 300 EUR. HGood Leica stll services it :-) I smile when somebody says that after 3-4 years digital cameras are useless 🙂 X1 forever !!!

1 hour ago, robert blu said:

I only read this post now, as usually late at the party !

I bought the x1 december 2010, I dropped a couple of time in the ten years of ownership, but always like to use it because of size and weight.

Last january I decided to send it to Wetzlar becaus the sensor was very dirty and you know you need to "open" tha camera in order to clean it (this is why I do not like ths kind of retractile lens, soon or later dust will enter, same problem with my wife's D-109).

Unfortunatlly as soon as the camera was sent the covid arrived in Europe with all the related consequences, lockdown and factories closed, Leica Wetzlar included. Therefore it took more time than forecasted to have it back (not a Leica fault) but wehn the x1 arrived at the beginning of summer I really enjoyed it.

I still use it when I desire a lighter  smaller kit than the M10 and the results are still superb. I do not remeber the cost, I think less than 300 EUR. HGood Leica stll services it 🙂 I smile when somebody says that after 3-4 years digital cameras are useless 🙂 X1 forever !!!

Robert, it is good to read of your experience with the Leica X1. Despite its obsolescence,  in digital terms, I am still amazed by the quality of the pictures. It was a no-brainer for me to have it serviced and restore it to light duties once again. I just love its small dimensions and simple operation. It performs just as its designer aimed it to be: a digital version of an early model III film Leica.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

My X1 which I have owned since I bough, was my favorite camera until the lens was stuck in fully extended position. Message on Screen was telling me to remove the lens cap. 

However, I was not lucky as you are. The camera was sent to Leica USA for inspection and I was told that they no longer has the components to fix the camera. Pretty unfortunate..but I guess I have to move on.

42 minutes ago, rud3dog said:

My X1 which I have owned since I bough, was my favorite camera until the lens was stuck in fully extended position. Message on Screen was telling me to remove the lens cap. 

However, I was not lucky as you are. The camera was sent to Leica USA for inspection and I was told that they no longer has the components to fix the camera. Pretty unfortunate..but I guess I have to move on.

rud3dog, I suggest you contact Customer Services Leica Germany direct. It is a long-shot, but it is just possible that your in-country Leica reply reflects the lack of spares locally. It is worth contacting Germany. See their website for contact details.

• 3 weeks later...

You could try the following: 

1) Ensure the battery is fully charged

2) Unscrew the lens bezel anti-clockwise .and remove it ... quite safe to do this ... many X1 owners have fitted alternative 3rd party bezels enabling lens accessories / auto lens caps to be fitted.

3) Examine the circumference of the lens and note there is a knife edge width gap all around the actual lens ... this is not visible when the lens bezel is in place but is visible when the bezel is removed.

4) Slide a thin knife into the tiny gap ... see photo ... 

5) Turn the camera on whilst applying light leverage to the knife to try and lever the lens so it telescopes out of its mount. 

No guarantee this will work but it might. If it does work, try turning the camera off and on several times ... Also try and blow some compressed air into the gap ...might dislodge anything preventing the lens telescoping out of its mount.

All the foregoing at your own risk ... but if careful unlikely to damage the camera or the lens housing 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Lens mount bezel unscrewed and removed 

Thin craft knife blade slides into tiny gap and can possibly be used to lever out the telescoped lens when camera is switched on 

BW

dunk

EDIT: 

^^^ Apologies ... misread previous comment ... assumed lens was stuck in the 'parked' position ... now realise it's stuck in the extended position. But sliding a knife into the gap might enable the lens to telescope back into the camera if slid in carefully 

dunk

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

On 2/1/2022 at 8:06 PM, rud3dog said:

..The camera was sent to Leica USA for inspection and I was told that they no longer has the components to fix the camera. Pretty unfortunate..but I guess I have to move on.

Which is why I suggested an email to Germany.

On 8/22/2020 at 3:09 PM, wda said:

I bought my Leica X1 new soon after it was launched in March 2010. It has been a staunch companion, yielding many fine pictures over the years. I use it every week mainly, nowadays... It would be interesting to know how many members of this forum still possess their Leica X1 cameras when bought and retained from new.

My 113 sees more use because of the nonretracting lens, but the X1 is with me about as often as the vario. All other (except a Contax T = the reliable & sharp version of the Minox) are there, but not very inviting. Why complicate life?

• 3 months later...

Thank you all for the advice. I did contact Leica Germany and unfortunately, it was the same answer I have gotten from Lecia USA, that these cameras are no longer repairable.

But the good news is that my wife was traveling to Seoul, Korea and there is a place called Namdaemun (basically meaning south gate) where lot of old Camera repair shops are located.I repaired my Nikons and Rollei  cameras there before. 
And My wife was able to fix it for around USD 150 there. She has not came back yet, but she says that the X1 is fully functional again.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
On 2022. 6. 5. at 오전 4시 7분, rud3dog said:

조언해 주셔서 감사합니다. 나는 Leica Germany에 연락했고 불행히도 Lecia USA에서 받은 것과 동일한 답변을 받았습니다. 이 카메라는 더 이상 수리할 수 없습니다.

하지만 좋은 소식은 아내가 한국 서울로 여행을 갔는데 오래된 카메라 수리점들이 많이 있는 남대문이라는 곳이 있다는 것입니다. 예전에 그곳에서 니콘과 롤라이 카메라를 수리한 적이 있습니다. 
그리고 제 아내는 그곳에서 미화 150달러 정도에 고칠 수 있었습니다. 그녀는 아직 돌아오지 않았지만 X1이 다시 완전히 작동한다고 말했습니다.

Hello, I am a Leica X1 user living in Korea. My Leica x1 is also broken. Could you tell me the information of the repaired place in Korea? thank you

• Like 1