Considering an m8 can you answer this :

UltraDan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all, 

I'm considering an M8, I was wondering - the two things that worry me are shutter failure and screen dying, I believe Leica can still fix the shutters ? If the screen were to die would the camera still operate just without a screen ? Also, is there any info on how often the screens fail? What percentage of them fail etc? Same with the shutters. 

thanks for any info. 

On M8, the LCD screen has less use than more modern digital M (no LV), needing only for setting for me never view the results in this low res. screen..

Without screen, some settings would be hard, but "settable" if the "SET", "MENU" buttons are functioning.

Some years ago, I tried to set some parameters (ISO mainly) without looking at the LCD, worked as we only have 160, 320, 640, 1250, 2500 choices.

Anyway, the M8's LCD can fail or "fade away then come back" any time.

Side note, I consider the M8 as "good to fail sooner or later", then it will not be repairable (economically/lack of parts),

for those reasons, I keep M8 and don't trade it saving next user (and me as vendor) the troubles.

More modern digital Ms are better choice anyway.

Edited by a.noctilux

I have an M 8.2 that I've used for a couple of years and I don't believe that ISO is displayed in the viewfinder. I leave the LCD off, using it only for

1. Deleting Images (after ingesting images, I've been told it's better to have the camera's software delete the images from the SD card); 
  2. Changing settings (which is pretty rare as I leave it at 160 ASA and the lens detection option off); and,
  3. Reformatting SD cards.

The coffee stain comes and goes (when I bother to check) ... I've had no problems with the shutter, but am under the impression that for about $1,000 and a long wait Leica might still replace these--perhaps someone else on this forum knows for certain.

I purchased this camera about seven years ago (had about 5700 clicks on the shutter), and I use it as a "sketch pad." The CCD sensor technology renders differently from more "modern" sensors, but requires additional UV/IR cut filters and adjusting for the 1.3 crop factor. 

I do worry about my M8, the LCD could be an issue but there isn't much of a menu, and you can probably remeber the number of clicks for setting the ISO and formatting a card. Shutters should be fixable, at a price, only Leica repair centers can work on the camera. It is a nice 2nd generation digital camera (first for Leica). 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The cost of a Leica repair, and only Leica will repair the M8, of a major component is very likely, verging on almost certain, to exceed the cost of a replacement S/H model.

I love mine, owned from new, should it fail I would be sorry but would replace it with a more "modern" camera notwithstanding the CCD sensor does make remarkable images.

As to your questions, the ISO is not visible in the viewfinder, the 1/4000 max shutter is more reliable than the 1/8000  originally fitted but avoid the continuous mode that can lead to failure prematurely. 

It would be a frustrating exercise to reset any rear screen parameters, there are many, without the screen, you would need to construct a crib sheet in advance of failure and know what the last settings were before failure. The reset to factory settings is in the main rear menu and requires some navigation to use you could start from there.

On 8/22/2020 at 6:09 PM, Tom R said:

I have an M 8.2 that I've used for a couple of years and I don't believe that ISO is displayed in the viewfinder. I leave the LCD off, using it only for

1. Deleting Images (after ingesting images, I've been told it's better to have the camera's software delete the images from the SD card); 
  2. Changing settings (which is pretty rare as I leave it at 160 ASA and the lens detection option off); and,
  3. Reformatting SD cards.

The coffee stain comes and goes (when I bother to check) ... I've had no problems with the shutter, but am under the impression that for about $1,000 and a long wait Leica might still replace these--perhaps someone else on this forum knows for certain.

I purchased this camera about seven years ago (had about 5700 clicks on the shutter), and I use it as a "sketch pad." The CCD sensor technology renders differently from more "modern" sensors, but requires additional UV/IR cut filters and adjusting for the 1.3 crop factor. 

Actually the best you can do is format the card, either in the computer (SD Formatter). or the camera. Just deleting may fragment the card or, in rare cases, corrupt it.

On 8/23/2020 at 9:34 PM, tommonego@gmail.com said:

I do worry about my M8, .....

Please don't worry. Enjoy it while it continues to serve you well. It is a rather special model, the first in the line of digital Leica rangefinders. I still enjoy mine, despite its obsolescence. 

• Like 6