This is why I bought an M10R

jonoslack

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 minute ago, Tailwagger said:

What it says to me is that the M11 is over a year away  😁

Very good . . . but I should say that I really really really do not know that that's true (or not true ether) I don't have a better idea of the M11's release date than you do, although I do trust Leica not to produce the M10-R and then 3 weeks later produce the M11!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, jonoslack said:

Very good . . . but I should say that I really really really do not know that that's true (or not true ether) I don't have a better idea of the M11's release date than you do, although I do trust Leica not to produce the M10-R and then 3 weeks later produce the M11!

I jest, of course. Apologies... as is typical, my desire for comedy tragically obscures my more serious point. One can always wait around for the next great thing and in the meantime miss numerous opportunities that might otherwise have yielded something even more worthwhile.  The 10-R, at least to me, is a flat out marvel. IMHO, those that love the M for how it draws shouldn't be waiting around to experience just how great this generation of M can be. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello all,

I took this picture with my Leica M10-R, and simply made the same Lightroom adjustment that Jono did at the beginning of this thread (exposure -2.35 in Lightroom).
I know that I could further adjust this and get something better happening, but I just wanted to do an apples-to-apples sort of thing.
Looks much better!

PS. Before you beat me up for not taking this picture properly in the first place, I am not a pro photographer, nor do I want to be. I have a blast roaming around with the Leica M10 (now M10-R) and learning more about light, color, composing and just all around having fun making photographs.

Enjoy!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tailwagger said:

I jest, of course. Apologies... as is typical, my desire for comedy tragically obscures my more serious point. One can always wait around for the next great thing and in the meantime miss numerous opportunities that might otherwise have yielded something even more worthwhile.  The 10-R, at least to me, is a flat out marvel. IMHO, those that love the M for how it draws shouldn't be waiting around to experience just how great this generation of M can be. 

No apologies required - my rather dreary disclaimer requires apologies much more (but it kind of has to be said!). But we're agreed, the M10-R is a home run, 3 years on from the magnificent M10 it's a worthy 'end of the M10 line' ( if it is the end of the line! ). 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, EddieCheddar said:

Hello all,

I took this picture with my Leica M10-R, and simply made the same Lightroom adjustment that Jono did at the beginning of this thread (exposure -2.35 in Lightroom).
I know that I could further adjust this and get something better happening, but I just wanted to do an apples-to-apples sort of thing.
Looks much better!

PS. Before you beat me up for not taking this picture properly in the first place, I am not a pro photographer, nor do I want to be. I have a blast roaming around with the Leica M10 (now M10-R) and learning more about light, color, composing and just all around having fun making photographs.

Enjoy!

Exactly! My boat is hardly a work of art . . and nobody's smiling in it!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well, I might not have been so insistent on shooting at f/1.4 on the beach when the background was sea and sand.  But I'll show some processing details on my example. from a few days ago.  Here the problem was shooting with a foreground object that was white ceramic, spotlit at 3-4 stoops above the painting in the background which was another stop or two above the little "Apollinaire Ceramics" poster at the far right.  In a black room with a grey floor.  The version that I posted had exposure backed down 1 stop, highlights strongly suppressed and shadows boosted somewhat.  Here's a more strongly corrected version with all the C One controls showing.  It retrieves all of the contours of Mr. R Mutt's lovely sculpture, and I was still barely able to rescue the poster at far right.

Screen Shot 2020-08-22 at 12.43.09 AM (2) by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr 

It doesn't show in the screen shot, but I placed my pointer on the inside of the urinal, You can see where it lands on the histogram by the red vertical line. 

As shot, the central object was just one undifferentiated white glow.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, EddieCheddar said:

Hello all,

Looks much better!

Enjoy!

Edited by EddieCheddar
Posted too large of a photo
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, jonoslack said:

No apologies required - my rather dreary disclaimer requires apologies much more (but it kind of has to be said!). But we're agreed, the M10-R is a home run, 3 years on from the magnificent M10 it's a worthy 'end of the M10 line' ( if it is the end of the line! ). 

Film M's ran for decades. Only when a significant change occurred did a different model number appear. It may be that Leica see the M10 as an ideal M body after learning from the M8,9 and type 240. Maybe we'll have the M10 body for a while longer. Next will be an M10DR (type D with 40.89MP sensor). And because this sensor is so good and very competitive against other 40MP+ sensors there's really no need to make a M11 for quite a while. We might even see a new 24MP sensor in a M10 body (M10N).

Gordon

• Like 3

This is pretty much my main motivation to desire M10-R as well! Highlights clipping has always been a pain point for digital Leicas -- sometimes you have to compromise and let some highlight clip, or sometimes you don't have time to react to a quickly developing scene and you may overexpose everything. I don't mind personally shooting ETTR style even with the noisy MP240 but sometimes I get bored at looking near-dark picture reviews back on my camera screen so I let clouds clip at the expense of highlight quality. With safe headroom in the highlights I can ignore the ETTR rule and get nicer-looking files to look at, a positive point of user experience to be sure.

I'm in the same camp as most -- I'm satisfied with 24 megapixels. At the same time it's hard to lie to yourself you couldn't get accustomed to the new level of definition quickly. Everybody thought at one point 6 megapixels was the perfect amount, then 12, 16, 20, 24.

It can be a cumbersome extra step to introduce downsampling into your post-processing but if you do that then you basically get high-quality 24 megapixel files and they are just as malleable. I'm thinking about a batch job where you do this for each file: take the DNG -> using default processing convert them to 16-bit TIFF or PNG -> run highest-q possible on the TIFF files -> import those TIFFs to your raw editor of choice and edit as usual. Not optimal but in this theory the 40 megapixel sensor is offering you 40 megapixels plus all the lower resolutions available for your post-processing needs. This is wasteful on the storage space as well as TIFF files will need more than the equivalent raws, especially if you still want to keep the original 40-MP files.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2020 at 12:12 PM, jonoslack said:

I've been trying to think of a simple way of describing it, and here it is

So This boat was shot with the 50 'lux at f1.4, and at 100 ISO at 1/4000th second

This is the developed image with 2.35 stops of under exposure

and here they are side by side 

Here you are Scott:

All the best

I’m curious, as a beta tester for the M10 did you raise the issue of highlight recovery?  I’m an M10 owner who like many have opted for exposure comp of -0.7 to deal with that.  It would have been preferable if this issue was dealt with before the release of the camera?

Edited by paulsydaus

The M10 does a great job in Dynamic Range. For 99% of (my) images, highlight recory will absolutely do.

• Like 7

However, if you're on the edge of things I think it's common sense to meter on the highlights and then push the shadows. 

I have no intention of getting the R. Even the 21/3.4 is not able to perform outside of the center of the frame, that will get even more frustrating with over 40 MP.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, paulsydaus said:

I’m curious, as a beta tester for the M10 did you raise the issue of highlight recovery?  I’m an M10 owner who like many have opted for exposure comp of -0.7 to deal with that.  It would have been preferable if this issue was dealt with before the release of the camera?

Hi There Paul

Have you seen this? - and spent some time in Wetzlar discussing it with them:

https://www.slack.co.uk/m10-highlights.html

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, insomnia said:

The M10 does a great job in Dynamic Range. For 99% of (my) images, highlight recory will absolutely do.

Hi There 

Of course - you are right - the dynamic range is great, and this wasn't a dynamic range issue, but if you didn't expose for the highlights (mistake, in a hurry, whatever) then you could end up with ugly blown highlights - added to which you get an extra stop in bright conditions because of the lower base ISO

• Like 2