X1. What a beautiful little camera.

rivi1969

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Searching through my photos I remember my experience with the X1, sold mine going after the best next thing, got the X 113 but never grew on me like the X1 and sold it too.

I might get another X1, yes, it might be slow, but I am not getting any faster myself lol. I wonder how many of you guys still using yours.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

I have owned and used a few Panasonic Leica Cameras but never owned a real Leica.

Well this week I was offered an old X1 with add on viewfinder it was stored without it's batteries in a cupboard for the last 2.5 years and was known to be working when the owner pass away. So as it was from an old friend I said I would love it and have sent away for new batteries and charger generic ones with luck I should have an very old Leica X1 up and running. So will it prove to be a "beautiful little camera" only time will tell for me and yes I know these old cameras will never be like the newer kit.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well so far my beautiful little X1 as been great it was stored without a battery so internal one is shot so date has to be reset after a battery change. Also being lucky to get one with the brightline viewfinder was good as without one I would not have wanted to use it. The result of images have been fantastic for a 11 year old camera. Yes the autofocus is slow but I love the way you can just set something like F8 and 250 etc from the top. Mind you I have lost a couple of shots when I have unknowingly flicked the F wheel in error.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I totally can confirm the magic about the use and results of the Leica X1.

After having serveral Leica Cameras (M digital and analog/Q/X-Vario/R) and switching to other different brands I finally got a Leica X1 with the OVF.

After the first 10 minutes of use I fell in love with this smart tiny lady! Exactly the workflow I like. Turned to Auto Iso, Auto shutter speed and just change the Aperture.

The rest is concentration what to put in the frame - which is most important. Let it save DNG + Jpeg in BW and most of the time just use the Jpeg OOC

with some minor changes in Apple Preview. I got the feeling that these settings leave me with a lot of keepers. Just added my first keeper here.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Michael Kersting
  • Like 16

Oh I agree Michael since getting hold of the X1 it as been the best camera I have used so easy with great control from the camera body itself. I have the Leica 36mm brightline viewer attacked all the time and I don't think it spoils the look of the camera. Also I only shoot black and white and the results have always been great modern cameras even Leica have so many bells and whistles that I just don't need. The Leica X1 is to me such a great simple camera which gives fantastic results even today is still worth owning and using. 

Great photo Micheal by the way

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I agreed with you all, this particular camera is somehow have unique characteristic. few years ago I bought X2 and was very disappointed because the image was too sharp and "fake", so I used my old X1 again. It's strange, because on paper X2 should be better than X1.

https://www.juliuspictures.com/blog/2020/11/13/exploring-paris-with-leica-x1

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

What I like is the simplicity of the X1 and the size even with the added viewfinder it still looks great and feels great. Myself I always thought Leica could have made an X1 with a built in viewfinder that I think would have sold today everything seems to be screen oriented. I like a camera that you can control using the camera not a screen or a tiny LCD on the top. 

We all have our own preferences and for me the X1 suits me and my needs, just wish we could go out and take some photos again the bloody virus as changed life so much. 

• Like 2

• 8 months later...