For those who have both SL2 + Q2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

hey guys

I'm a wedding shooter. I currently have a Sony setup and also the SL2 with Sigma 14-24, Leica 50/1.4 and Leica 90/2. I want to begin using the Leica gear more than the Sony, to the point where I only grab the Sony (A9's) if I really need the speed.

So I need a 2nd body. I'm torn on getting a Q2 as my 2nd body, and then having the SL2+Q2 with the advantage that for personal use I'd have a beautiful small camera to take with me when needed.

My other option is a second SL2, with most likely the 35/2 lens (which I suspect at some point I'll get regardless).

So the end question is - would the files from the Q2 look ok in a gallery of photos of a clients wedding next to SL2 files? Or would they look drastically different. 

If it helps I'm using Capture One.

cheers

Gavin Cato,   I found the Q2 and my former SL2 files to be nearly similar, if not identical from both cameras.  The Q2 is a most excellent camera for many genres of photography.  It makes a great second body as well.  For me, the Q2 is my personal take anywhere camera.  You can't go wrong with a Q2 for your posted purposes.  r/ Mark 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You might find the Q2 better than a SL2 with a random Sigma zoom, probably good but certainly not as good as the Q2's Summilux.

Q2 is simply a superb camera. I love the M and the SL2, but the Q2 is something special. Look at the image gallery and enjoy, especially Snoopy's wonderful pictures. 

• Like 2

There are many photographers who use only their Q2 for entire weddings.   The 28mm is no handicap.  If you want a head/shoulders portrait from 20 feet away, just crop in LR and you got it.  I think the art lies in the creative juices of the person behind the camera — rather than a reliance on equipment.

• Like 1

I've shot about 1200 weddings. Nothing to do with creativity I was more asking if the files would look similar to a SL2 in a gallery of someones wedding photos. 

For example I can see quite a difference in colours between my Sony A9's and my Leica SL2 and I wouldn't want to mix those cameras during a ceremony and give the clients files that look a bit inconsistent. 

And I think someone using a Q2 for a entire wedding is being quite irresponsible. Single memory card slot. Eeks. I'm only going to use mine as a backup to the SL2, not as the primary camera.

• Like 1

As much as I love my SL2 and it’s compliment of lenses, it’s big and heavy and a bit much for a grab and go / EDC / street photography camera.  So I’m selling my SL 24-90 zoom (which is a great lens, but big and heavy and redundant in light of other lenses I’ve acquired) for 90% of what I paid for it in order to finance a new Q2. In light of my past with M film cameras, and my love of Leica glass, mild wide angle lenses, and the SL2 sensor, I have a feeling that the Q2 will quickly become my favorite camera, my EDC, and will accompany my SL2 and other lenses for purposeful photo excursions.  And my shoulder / neck will thank me.  Bye bye 24-90, I enjoyed having you in my bag. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I just sold my Canon bodies and bought a SL2 to use with my Canon TS lenses for architecture work and also bought the 50 Cron SL. Now I am considering a Q2 also even though I have a M10-p with the 35 Lux 1.4. I could sell the M10-p and buy more lenses but I think I would regret it. My next lens will be the 35 Cron SL most likely but I am also interested in the 24mm due this year. If only Leica would make a TS lens or two!

The Q2 is a great camera. I got it for the 28mm and came with extra camera on it.

Leica started with the Q camera to develop the SL line and then it became a product.

I like to use it along to SL2. the Q2 has a slow buffer and writing to the car can slow you down a bit.

AF is nice to have, sometime at night it is difficult to find focus with an M10-P.

The real plus of this camera is that you can sync flash at any shutter since the shutter is in the lens.

Q2 images will not look out of place with your SL2 images.  The chips are identical or nearly so. Color treatment will be very similar assuming the same white balance settings are used.

If you really want to ensure an identical “look” you might consider an X-Rite Passport and build a default profile for each camera. Depending on the software you are using this need not add any complexity to your workflow. I know that’s something wedding photographers are very sensitive to.  For example, in Lightroom you can set a custom profile as the default for a given camera, then any time you import images from that camera the profile will be used. Applies to ACR as well.  Personally, I prefer the colors with an X-Rite color passport in most cases over what comes out of a Leica by default.  I hate Leica greens.

In any event, I think you will be happy with your Q2 as a backup for the SL2 and will find the “look” similar or identical to that from the SL2.  Nobody will be able to pick out the Q2 images on an album of SL2 shots. That’s likely true even if you shoot JPG’s with both as long as you have set them up the same way in terms of saturation, contrast, and white balance.  They are very close—much closer than your A9 would be.

On 8/29/2020 at 1:26 PM, Photoworks said:

The Q2 is a great camera. I got it for the 28mm and came with extra camera on it.

Leica started with the Q camera to develop the SL line and then it became a product.

I like to use it along to SL2. the Q2 has a slow buffer and writing to the car can slow you down a bit.

AF is nice to have, sometime at night it is difficult to find focus with an M10-P.

The real plus of this camera is that you can sync flash at any shutter since the shutter is in the lens.

All good. The shutter syncs to 1/2000 which is fantastic and unique. I use that feature often for photographing hummingbirds, bees and macro. 

@Gavin Cato

I have just used the combo of my SL2 (with the 35/2 and 90/2 SL Summicrons ) together with the Q2 for a wedding at the beginning of August. In my opinion, the results of the Q2 are clearly more than just OK next to the the SL2's results. I am also using Capture One (20 Pro) to process my pictures, and the look of the pictures are actually quite close. Only in low light situations I found that the SL2 perfomed slightly better than the Q2. I really enjoyed having an almost similar user interface when changing between the SL2 and the Q2. However, I've made the experience that I rather used the Q2 than changing the lenses (from 90/2 to 35/2) on my SL2 (because that was just more convenient and faster) which now makes me wonder whether I still really need the 35 Summicron albeit the quality of the pictures taken with the SL2 and the 35 Summicron are clearly superior to cropping from 28mm to 35mm on my Q2 (knowing that those results are technically not really comparable)...I am honestly a bit ashamed of myself for having such 1st World problems really.

P.S.: The 90/2 Summicron is by far the best portrait lens I've ever used so far. As soon as I get the permision by the wedding couple, I might show one or two pictures of that shooting day to give you an idea...

Edited by Macberg

I just ordered the 16-35 SL lens which I will use for Architecture and Landscapes when not using my Canon TS Lenses. I think that having a Q2 available will really result in me taking more usable images on casual outings when I leave the gear bags at home. Right now I carry my M10-P with 35 LUX 1.4 FLE around but my focusing skills aren’t great and I miss more than I would like to admit. I just love the mechanical experience and tradition of the M system too much to give it up but that’s for another thread.

4 hours ago, Macberg said:

P.S.: The 90/2 Summicron is by far the best portrait lens I've ever used so far. As soon as I get the permision by the wedding couple, I might show one or two pictures of that shooting day to give you an idea...

I have the 90/2 on my SL2 - it is indeed spectacular though my fave is the 50/1.4 lux. If you look at my instagram @gavincatophotography the last few shots are from the 50 or 90.

Q2 arrives next week i think. But I did end up buying a 2nd SL2 anyway.