Forum cookie preferences bug? [MERGED]

Just now, andybarton said:

That is almost pre-biblical in OS terms and is no longer supported by Apple.

If your hardware can take it, I would strongly recommend updating to a later OS.

Perhaps so but it fulfils my needs and other software I need to run experiences stability problems with later OSX versions so I have held off upgrading.  Having to upgrade OSX and put up with all the associated quirks and gaps that never occurred to Apple's teenage script-kiddies who write the code should not be the solution to sorting out a rogue pop-up screen on one website.

Pete.

• Thanks 1

I never saw the issue go away when using Safari since my previous post and drastically reduced my time on this website due to this. I also have an iOS tablet with the same issue.

Fortunately, I discovered a potential solution: Firefox + extension Consent-O-Matic. This extension asks for the kind of cookies I am ok for at a high level and tries to detect and auto-fill the popups.

To be fair, I notice that repeated display of cookie consent pop-ups is a growing issue on many websites nowadays. For some, I get the popup daily, for others, I get it once or twice a week. In all cases, it is a chore that should not be needed (and pop up display on every page means the website is unusable in my book). Therefore, I will do more and more browsing with Firefox + Consent-O-Matic and see how it turns out (unfortunately, this extension does not exist on Safari).

Edited by Xavier
  • Like 1

Last year I went through the commissioning of a new website from professional developers, trying to get a consistent, intuitive and practical web interface. I didn't realise the pain developers go through to persuade a website to behave across all up to date browsers: Edge (old and new), Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Opera, Internet Explorer....... And then across up to date systems: Windows 10, OS, iOS, Android, Linux. Then there are the different combinations of older versions of browsers and systems (OS/iOS flavours, Windows 7, 8....)*. We abandoned IE users entirely: if they choose to use an antique and insecure browser, they will have to put up with a website that won't always perform correctly.

Web developers and managers have my sympathy.

*Edit. And across devices that work by mouse, touchpad, trackball, finger touch, pen.......and screen sizes from phone to desktop monitor.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Xavier said:

I never saw the issue go away when using Safari since my previous post and drastically reduced my time on this website due to this. I also have an iOS tablet with the same issue.

Fortunately, I discovered a potential solution: Firefox + extension Consent-O-Matic. This extension asks for the kind of cookies I am ok for at a high level and tries to detect and auto-fill the popups.

To be fair, I notice that repeated display of cookie consent pop-ups is a growing issue on many websites nowadays. For some, I get the popup daily, for others, I get it once or twice a week. In all cases, it is a chore that should not be needed (and pop up display on every page means the website is unusable in my book). Therefore, I will do more and more browsing with Firefox + Consent-O-Matic and see how it turns out (unfortunately, this extension does not exist on Safari).

Looks like there's a version for Chrome. I use the latest Edge, which is a variety of Chrome, so I'll try it. I agree, this is becoming a modern scourge.

Edit. I've just added it to Edge

Edited by LocalHero1953

5 hours ago, andybarton said:

That is almost pre-biblical in OS terms and is no longer supported by Apple.

If your hardware can take it, I would strongly recommend updating to a later OS.

I am still using 10.11.6 (El Capitan) with Safari 11.1.2, and (as I said earlier today) it seems, touch wood to have stopped doing it.

I always get renewed requests for my cookie preferences when using in private browsing, but I assumed that this was because my settings got deleted when closing the in private window.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, andybarton said:

If you are Private Browsing, cookies don’t get saved so when you next go wherever you’ve been before, that place doesn’t recognise you. 

Andy, yes, that's what I thought must happen.

• Thanks 1

I've finally managed to stop it - it was driving me potty - by editing and saving my cookie preferences at the bottom of the page.  Previously the link had been greyed-out so I couldn't do it that way and I don't know what's changed but I'm thankful it's gone.  For now.

Pete.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, andybarton said:

If you are Private Browsing, cookies don’t get saved so when you next go wherever you’ve been before, that place doesn’t recognise you. 

I am never using private browsing to access this site and have this issue with Safari.

You are correct that private browsing will very normally result in cookies/browsing information not being stored (I think this is the main goal of the private browsing mode of all browsers) and in each page load being considered the first visit to a website. But I also observed many websites that will show the cookie popups repeatedly even without private browsing, including this one.

• Thanks 1