New LUMIX S5 [MERGED]

zorky

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 9/17/2020 at 3:21 PM, Chaemono said:

Just picked up a copy. It's tiny. My guess is, it will appeal to GH5 users and Panasonic won't even bother with a GH6. The installed L-mount base will therefore grow substantially. The question is, will one or two of those S5 users be looking to buy a second hand Summicron-SL to support prices.

I was thinking of getting one to see if the AF is really improved that much and if that can work for me. I don't expect Sony performances, of course, but I could live with something close to that. If I decide to keep it, I'll definitely get a 50 apo since it's my most used focal lenght, but for everything else I'll wait for Panasonic to release smaller glass.

Edited by Simone_DF
  • Like 1

vor 12 Stunden schrieb Simone_DF:

I was thinking of getting one to see if the AF is really improved that much and if that can work for me. I don't expect Sony performances, of course, but I could live with something close to that. If I decide to keep it, I'll definitely get a 50 apo since it's my most used focal lenght, but for everything else I'll wait for Panasonic to release smaller glass.

I think every S5 owner should get at least one APO Summicron and every SL2 owner should get at least one S5. 😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 9/22/2020 at 12:27 PM, Simone_DF said:

Well, there's some truth in that. At the moment Leica is the only full frame manufacturer without a smaller full frame body.

You mean it is the only manufacturer with smaller full frame bodies since the thirties i guess ;). Just kidding. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Rokkor said:

Yes a  full frame Digital CL would be nice. Kind of a digital Barnack Leica (like a IIIf), that also were 35mm=full frame. I think the CL would be perfect being full frame. It is a good camera already and would be even better and also the M lenses would keep there focal length.

I will be interested in  small full frame CL only if it’s more than 50 megapixels camera. I would want to be able use my TL lenses to keep weight manageable. Otherwise the SL will suffice. 

10 hours ago, Rokkor said:

Yes a  full frame Digital CL would be nice. Kind of a digital Barnack Leica (like a IIIf), that also were 35mm=full frame. I think the CL would be perfect being full frame. It is a good camera already and would be even better and also the M lenses would keep there focal length.

I'd love that but it won't happen, at least not in the CL form factor. Leica is no Sony, they won't be able to cram so much technology into a small body like that. I wouldn't mind something bigger, as long as it's smaller than a SL

On 9/22/2020 at 8:11 PM, Chaemono said:

I think every S5 owner should get at least one APO Summicron and every SL2 owner should get at least one S5. 😂

Just wondering if you have any vintage SLR lenses that you can adapt to the S5, anything from Leica R, Minolta MD, Canon FD, anything like that. It would be interesting to know how older lenses perform on something like the S5 or S1.

vor 37 Minuten schrieb LocalHero1953:

A CL2 could have a number of upgrades that would be attractive: full frame, IBIS, more pixels, weather-proofing....... I suspect we'll get one, possibly two of those, but no more. I doubt we'll get full frame: with lenses it would be a big step up in bulk.

If M lenses can be adapted to the CL, why could there not be smaller lenses for the CL? Like a mini M. That would be cool.

• Like 1

vor 3 Stunden schrieb Archiver:

Just wondering if you have any vintage SLR lenses that you can adapt to the S5, anything from Leica R, Minolta MD, Canon FD, anything like that. It would be interesting to know how older lenses perform on something like the S5 or S1.

I don't have any vintage SLR lenses that I can try.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

A CL2 could have a number of upgrades that would be attractive: full frame, IBIS, more pixels, weather-proofing....... I suspect we'll get one, possibly two of those, but no more. I doubt we'll get full frame: with lenses it would be a big step up in bulk.

I would appreciate a Q3 with interchangeable lenses. 

For the CL2 I would like to see IBIS and a tilting LCD. And I’m missing a 16mm Summilux 😉. A 75mm Elmarit would also be appreciated by me. 
I don’t want to have more pixels. 24 to 26 seems to be the sweet spot. 

vor 35 Minuten schrieb ferfi:

I would appreciate a Q3 with interchangeable lenses. 

For the CL2 I would like to see IBIS and a tilting LCD. And I’m missing a 16mm Summilux 😉. A 75mm Elmarit would also be appreciated by me. 
I don’t want to have more pixels. 24 to 26 seems to be the sweet spot. 

Have not thought about that. A q the with interchangeable lenses sounds like a very good idea and also in the same size. And in case the dust comes back, it is much easier to get it removed.

10 minutes ago, Rokkor said:

Have not thought about that. A q the with interchangeable lenses sounds like a very good idea and also in the same size. And in case the dust comes back, it is much easier to get it removed.

Yes! 
IMO Leica is famous to go different ways. So for me it would make sense eg. to have the AF motor etc in the Body. The AF will be slower compared to the competitors, but fast enough for the most situations and this architecture makes it possible to keep the system small.

What makes Leica for me so valuable?

The image quality and look, the build quality, the simplification (or let’s say the concentration on the essence), and the compact design.

Edited by ferfi

I still have to find out how the EVF compares to the EVF of the S1. The reduction of the size of the S5 comes with a price tag: they removed the shoulder display. When I grab my S1 I can see instantly without turning the camera on, if the battery is full and a card is inserted and has enough space. For the shooting experience, I like to set the parameters while looking on the shoulder display. Then I raise the camera to my eye. Never liked setting all this via the back display.

3 hours ago, tom.w.bn said:

You believe that there is something like a Leica look? Leica did indeed a great marketing job.

Definitely! If you compare Nikon, Canon, Leica and Fuji ooc images, you will see different looks. 
Leica did it by simulating CCD sensors. There is an interview on YouTube available where somebody from Leica explained this. 
For sure it is possible somehow to set up a profile to get the look similar, but I’m not the guy sitting for hours at the computer for each image. 

vor 9 Minuten schrieb ferfi:

Definitely! If you compare Nikon, Canon, Leica and Fuji ooc images, you will see different looks. 
Leica did it by simulating CCD sensors. There is an interview on YouTube available where somebody from Leica explained this. 
For sure it is possible somehow to set up a profile to get the look similar, but I’m not the guy sitting for hours at the computer for each image. 

There's a whole thread on this topic where several users of this forum tried to get to the bottom of it: 

• Like 1