New LUMIX S5 [MERGED]

zorky

Here's a theory, pulled simply out of the air.  The S5 specs, which go on for many pages, look like it is a big step beyond the S1, especially in video capability, except that I didn't see the extra cooling that the S1H (with AA filter, etc) goes full cine with.  So I think this is a gesture to the memory of the Olympus products, E-M1 and E-M5, where the 5's were the entry-priced workhorses, and the Panasonic full frame line will continue with S5 at lower resolution but full video features while the S1R (they thought of R before Leica, I see) goes for ultimate still performance.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Doesn't averaging down from 24 or 16M to 8M give a smoother and cleaner signal?  I'm sure today's ASICs can handle that.  Does the S1 or the leaked S5 use the full chip for their 4K and Cine modes?  Anyway, in the current world, 24MPx is the new floor for "acceptable" still image performance.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

Doesn't averaging down from 24 or 16M to 8M give a smoother and cleaner signal?  I'm sure today's ASICs can handle that.  Does the S1 or the leaked S5 use the full chip for their 4K and Cine modes?  Anyway, in the current world, 24MPx is the new floor for "acceptable" still image performance.

I assume they use the whole chip (full frame) - the Sigma fp does - but I don't know about averaging down. 

16 minutes ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

Power dissipation leading to overheating and rolling shutter seem to be the disadvantages of downsampling from a high pixel count sensor.

The 12 Mpixel A7SIII seems quite appealing having solved these. With the native version of the Voigtlander 40/1.2 , I think I could be tempted to give it a try this winter, but will wait and see what the S5 brings to the table.

If the leaked specs are correct, the viewfinder has super low resolution (2.36 Mio.). I have the S1 with the best electronic viewfinder on the market and I never want to go back again in quality. Even a current 3.8 Mio. viewfinder looks a bit old and insufficient compared to that.

Edited by tom.w.bn
  • Like 1

Scott, what makes you think the video specs are better than the S1? The specs look very similar. What looks worse is the EVF (2m instead of 5.7 or whatever it was). The key difference I can glean right now is that the S1 is about 300 grams heavier, so it looks like this one will be more like a Sony in weight and perhaps size.

4 hours ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

Doesn't averaging down from 24 or 16M to 8M give a smoother and cleaner signal?

Yes, and that explains cameras like the new Blackmagic 12K. There is no real need to output in 12K (although I've been helping on a triptych project that is 12K horizontal), but it should provide a cleaner image and more accurate colour.

Contrary to what one might think, the real benefit isn't resolution. It's colour. Bayer (and similar) sensors only sample one colour per pixel, so that can leave gaps for colour-critical work like green screen, or any other CGI.

That's also one reason why the new Sony A7S has 12MP instead of 8MP. It is, to over-simplify, resampling RGGB (Bayer) to RGB.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stuart Richardson said:

Scott, what makes you think the video specs are better than the S1? The specs look very similar. What looks worse is the EVF (2m instead of 5.7 or whatever it was). The key difference I can glean right now is that the S1 is about 300 grams heavier, so it looks like this one will be more like a Sony in weight and perhaps size.

I missed the lower specs on the viewfinder.  The video specs looked identical, except that they listed all geographies, instead of 50 Hz or 60Hz (choose one) PAL/NTSC (choose one), which is how the previous generation of cameras tended to come out.  But, despite good intentions, I still haven't done much video, except with an Olympus E-M1 ii or iii.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

I missed the lower specs on the viewfinder.  The video specs looked identical, except that they listed all geographies, instead of 50 Hz or 60Hz (choose one) PAL/NTSC (choose one), which is how the previous generation of cameras tended to come out.  But, despite good intentions, I still haven't done much video, except with an Olympus E-M1 ii or iii.

You can choose both PAL/NTSC in the S1/S1R/S1H. I believe they just simplified this on the spec sheet of the S5. There are a few differences in hardware in the S5 which make it technically worse than the S1 series.

- Lower res EVF and rear LCD

- Smaller battery capacity

- non-matching speed SD card slots (one is UHS-II and the other is UHS-I)

- Micro HDMI (which is a big concern for video people)

- Assessed lower build quality

This is aimed at being a smaller sized value and more affordable model. It will likely compete with the Nikon Z5, Canon RP, and the Sony A7III once the A7IV is released. Perhaps it’ll be a replacement for the S1 in many ways since I’d assume the ROI on the S1 is lower than say on the S1H.

vor 16 Stunden schrieb iiiNelson:

This is aimed at being a smaller sized value and more affordable model. It will likely compete with the Nikon Z5, Canon RP, and the Sony A7III once the A7IV is released. Perhaps it’ll be a replacement for the S1 in many ways since I’d assume the ROI on the S1 is lower than say on the S1H.

This probably makes sense to keep an S1R, S1H and S5 and kick out the S1.

9 hours ago, tom.w.bn said:

I think so as a more value based and casual model while the S1 series will be their professional models. From the alleged leaked press release this camera is specifically targeting content creators, vloggers, and hybrid shooters while the S1 line targeted the professional Photo/Video/Cine markets.

It seems like the S5 battery will be the same form factor as the GH5/GH5S/G9 battery but of a larger capacity. I’d guess that it’s safe to assume this will be the GH6 battery as well whenever that is released.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2020 at 1:16 PM, tom.w.bn said:

Actually the s1 still offers many better options over the s5, and actually still some users buy s1, what makes sense is to kick out the s1r, it doesnt really offer amything, and now if you look in the stores, you dont even have it in stock, it appears discontinue or only under special demand. 

Who buys the s1r? no one really, at least the s1 is bought as a hybrid system.