franzschuier

Leica M and the Flash Q Q20ii / Recommendation for M-A Flash

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

new to the forum, new to leica! I own my black m-a for a month now and I absolutely love it. Just finished my 10th roll.
Looking forward to taking part in the forum, but I am starting with a problem sorry.

There is one little thing I can´t get to work (Spent at least 15 Exposures on it: I own a Flash Q Q20 from my digital days and i cant get it to work with the M-A.
The strange thing: The flash fires when the film is not cocked and the shutter doesn't fire. When I cock the film
and take an exposure the flash just wont fire.

1. Went to the leica shop and tried it with several new leica flashes. It fires when cocked and when not.
2. Checked some youtube videos - There are people successfully using the Q20 with their M6 or M-P, they even recommend it.
3 Checked the Q20 settings in falsh mode it should just work.
4. Tried it with the flash sync 1/50 setting and faster times

And now the strangest thing - Occasionally, like every 3rd time I try it, it works.
Am I studip or is the fals just not working with the m-a and I have to get an old leica flash?
Any recommedation?

Edited by franzschuier

Did some more testing:

Without a film loaded the same problem persists.

The flash Sync port works just fine

and

the flash fires when the flash contact comes into contact with the hot shoe. E.g. when mounting turned on.

There seems to be some electrical miscommunication between the m-a and the flash.
Ill just sell it and get an old leica flash.

Are you talking about the LightPix Labs product? I have one and use it regularly on my M10-P. Sometimes it fails to flash, but usually it's fine. I use it off-camera most often, with the flash in one hand and the camera in the other. For debugging, you might try fresh alkaline batteries instead of rechargeable batteries.

vor 5 Stunden schrieb andyturk:

Are you talking about the LightPix Labs product? I have one and use it regularly on my M10-P. Sometimes it fails to flash, but usually it's fine. I use it off-camera most often, with the flash in one hand and the camera in the other. For debugging, you might try fresh alkaline batteries instead of rechargeable batteries.

Yeah, thats the one. Thnx for the tip. Tried new alkaline batteries and it´s the same. Flash fires when the shutter is not cocked, when its cocked and the shutter goes the flash doesn´t fire.

Don't know what to tell you about the Q20ii. As an alternative small flash, have you thought about a Leica SF24D? It's about the same size and has the ability to do its own metering without the camera's assistance. I used mine off-camera with a radio tx/rx pair from the same people that make the Q20ii. The SF24D gives more consistent exposures compared to the Q20ii.

Am 18.8.2020 um 15:55 schrieb andyturk:

Don't know what to tell you about the Q20ii. As an alternative small flash, have you thought about a Leica SF24D? It's about the same size and has the ability to do its own metering without the camera's assistance. I used mine off-camera with a radio tx/rx pair from the same people that make the Q20ii. The SF24D gives more consistent exposures compared to the Q20ii.

Thnx, i look into it. It seems every other flash works though. Bought a cheapo Metz and it works as it should. The Flash Q is just so tiny for what it does. i was hoping to get it to work.

Am 27.11.2020 um 16:02 schrieb mwielocha:

@franzschuier were you able to solve this? I have exact same behaviour with M6. Flash only fires when the shutter is not cocked. Annoying as hell.

@mwielocha, sorry I couldnt solve it. Every other old Flash or the Leica sf24d works but not the Flash Q. Doesnt help in understanding the issue but the Flash Q works on my M7.