I would like to buy an M7 but...

I would send it back. The AUTO and the Manual shutter times are both driven electronically. So this must be some weird mistake in the electronic circuit which is too deep to repair and would probably require replacement. 

Edited by otto.f

This is typically why we should not buy M7 at a higher price than M6 TTL. It will never last a lifetime. Just buy any other film M. 

M7 should be treated as the first representative of fully electronic shutter and metering Ms : M7, M8, M9, M & M10.

M5, M6 & MP are certainly excellent compromises between fully mechanical shutter and electronic metering.

Otherwise M2, M3, M4 and M-A will be able to last a lifetime or two. If skilled technicians and films are still available then. 

Lorenzooo, 

I bought in 2019 a more or less brand new M7 / silver / 0.72 from a Japanese eBay seller;

US$ 3050, so very close to what you paid.

I have a few other cameras, like M10P, MM1, and Fuji's, but really love the M7, its auto-exposure and the viewfinder display

I had bought in 2003 a brand new M7 from B&H, but that gone stolen on a trip - made me nearly cry (including my 75mm/f1.4).

Buying it again tells you how much I like the M7.

Solid purchase you made, imo

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’m sitting here with an M6 and a new M7 deciding which one of them is going to have to be rehomed. I do also have an M3 and an M10 (I know I have a problem, but it feels like I’m in a safe space confessing to that here). Which one should go to be loved by a new owner? 

Well, from M3’s I have considered, none of them had a viewfinder as bright as the others you mention. It is not the built-in meter or other electronic things that would make me decide for one or another. Just how well I can see with it and the reliability of the shutter. The M3 might even survive longer than the other two. And love is not enough: I love my R6.2, but since the stuck mirror is unrepairable it’s of little use.

Edited by otto.f

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 8/28/2020 at 3:16 PM, Lorenzoooo said:

Yes at the end I bought it and I’m waiting for the lens now, it will arrive on Tuesday ( I hope )

Hi Lorenzoooo, any comment on camera and lens? As satisfied user of the M7 I'm sure you too will be satisified, but it would be nice to read any comment from your side!

I have an M7 that I purchased shortly Leica introduced the camera. So I've had for a long time. It's been to Europe many times as well as bouncing around parts of the USA. I remember on one occasion, in Germany, I was shooting the famous white castle. This was the start of flooding and road closure in Bavaria. I was out shooting the flooded Isar river, flooded streets. My M7 never caused me to miss a shot. It is still right on in all aspects and I expect it will be for some time in the future. If you are worried about parts, electronics, stay away, but if you buy a camera in excellent condition and with reasonable care it should last a long time.

Hello, yes at the end I chose a 35 mm Voigtländer 1.4 and when I’m not working I’m out shooting or in the dark room. I’m interested also in a 50 or75  mm, cause I would like to use more the space around the real frame for a better composition. 
I have to say that I wasn’t expecting a similar experience using a Leica for while I’m always more amazed

Hello, I want to ask you for a help with decision. A friend of mine wants to sell one of his cameras - M-A or M7. He bought both as new, he hardly used it and now he needs money. Both are from 2017, shot max. 10 rolls of films. He wants 2850 euros for the M-A or M7. I would like to buy one. 

Please, what do you think is a better choice? Both models appeal to me 🙂 The simplicity of the M-A or advantage "A" mode of the M7. I would have it as a second body for using with the MP.

Any advice what is better buy?! 🙂

tough choice!  The MA is likely to be a better long-term investment, but comes with the inconvenience of not having a meter.  If shooting meterless I prefer the experience of shooting with a true classic like the M3.  I think the price sounds fair for an MA but perhaps on the high side for an M7.

4 hours ago, jakham said:

Any advice what is better buy?! 🙂

M-A.

From one who just bought a new one last month and have zero regrets. I have a M7, but it's the M-A that goes out with me, and as andrew01 says it's most likely the better long term investment. Not having a meter? I don't find that much of an issue....when I feel it might be I'd mount a Leicameter MR, but after a few weeks going out with the M-A and Leicameter or a hand-held one I found that my exposure guesses were coming to well within the film's latitude +/- 2/3rds of a stop if not bang on.

6 hours ago, jakham said:

Any advice

I have an M7 and an M4. Apart from the fact that I use one for B&W and one for color, mostly slides, I hardly feel a real difference or problem in actual shooting with the M4 not having a meter and the M7 being automatic. The most important thing remains what I see and photograph. They are both nice to handle, being M’s. Theoretically an M-A should last longer, but I don’t know how Leica makes them these days compared to the times of the M4, which still functions flawless. I use a Gossen Digisix2 with my M4, which is easy, fast enough if you anticipate and seldom wrong. It might be more important how the individual copy of the M7 or the M-A feels and sounds in your handling them, then the choice between all mechanic or automatic as such. 

Edited by otto.f

I have an M7 from the first series and in July I decided to send it to Wetzlar for a full review. The visor has been changed for the new anti-reflection, the same for all the electronics and the DX encoder, as well as cleaning, lubricating and adjustment. Now I have a practically new camera with 2 year warranty.
I feel great and don't think any other manufacturer of photographic equipment does this with a 19 year-old camera (and for less than 900 eur).

regards from Spain

chema

• Like 3

5 hours ago, chema said:

I have an M7 from the first series and in July I decided to send it to Wetzlar for a full review. The visor has been changed for the new anti-reflection, the same for all the electronics and the DX encoder, as well as cleaning, lubricating and adjustment. Now I have a practically new camera with 2 year warranty.
I feel great and don't think any other manufacturer of photographic equipment does this with a 19 year-old camera (and for less than 900 eur).

regards from Spain

chema

I had a similar experience, great service for a great camera.

On 10/15/2020 at 11:31 AM, chema said:

regards from Spain

chema

Sounds promising indeed, I need to get myself into action to get the same thing done (ie I have the earliest M7 with the non-MP viewfinder that flares; and the old DX reader that needs upgrading).

Out of interest, for the M7 does anyone know if it already has proper “anti reflective” glass for the viewfinder and rangefinder patch window (I ask because the ones on the M-A look more “blue” to me?); and if I get a CLA done, would Leica typically tidy up or replace the leather cover as part of the service? (the edges of the leather on my M7 are slightly unglued now)