I would like to buy an M7 but...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Have been talking to Leica Mayfair this week as it happens about a M240 (that I have actually just this minute purchased) this is what they said about the m8/m9. I've found them very helpful in the past so if you have a question I'd email them and see what they say, likely they will put your mind at rest. My own worry would be how long repairs take through them - luckily I've never had to send my Leica in to find out. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UltraDan said:

Have been talking to Leica Mayfair this week as it happens about a M240 (that I have actually just this minute purchased) this is what they said about the m8/m9. I've found them very helpful in the past so if you have a question I'd email them and see what they say, likely they will put your mind at rest. My own worry would be how long repairs take through them - luckily I've never had to send my Leica in to find out. 

i have dealt with Leica Mayfair and they really are superb. I did have one repair carried out through them and the time that the camera was away was not too bad, probably a bit longer at the moment though.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

20 hours ago, Massimike said:

How’s the T3 I got a bargain for €1200 mint condition but I am scared I will regret of not buying like a M4-P plus a voigltander or a Zeiss lens for almost the same price, then I can buy other lenses later on. But I heard lot of nice things about the T3 😊

Once you have an M in mind you’ll regret anyway buying a compromise. Don’t bother

Am 22.8.2020 um 14:53 schrieb Massimike:

How’s the T3 I got a bargain for €1200 mint condition but I am scared I will regret of not buying like a M4-P plus a voigltander or a Zeiss lens for almost the same price, then I can buy other lenses later on. But I heard lot of nice things about the T3 😊

Very sweet camera, the only one I will never sell. Very capable for the size, excellent lens that does landscape to portrait just fine, within its limitations. Takes filters, too. It is the only 135 format camera I still have and use (well, and a beater Contax T).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Does that answer the question? 🙂

• Like 3

On 8/17/2020 at 9:35 PM, Archiver said:

There may be more issue with film availability and processing in 20 years than whether the M7 becomes irreparable. And will you really still use the same camera in twenty years? Just buy it for now, use it well, and let the future come as it may.

^ This right here. Solid advice.

• Like 2

Am 16.8.2020 um 21:14 schrieb Lorenzoooo:

Good morning everyone,

Im thinking Of buying an M7 in really awesome conditions. 
My only problem is that I’m not sure that this could be a care that will last for all my life or for 20 years at least cause it has lots of electronic inside. I don’t care if in the future it will need some works but do you think that I will find all the parts?

second questions, the price is quite high cause I’m buying it from a Leica store but it doesn’t came with the case but just with the box, and for 2600 € this is kind of annoying to me... I don’t even know if they will give me the original strap with it.

what do you think about this potential purchase?

thanks in advance.

Impossible. If you think that way forget the M7

On 8/22/2020 at 4:27 PM, Lorenzoooo said:

I’m going to the Leica store in Monday :)

What happened during your visit to the store, that was last Monday no? You are hearing is out but don’t give any info in return. Do you think that’s a nice way to participate in a forum?

On 8/22/2020 at 10:53 PM, Massimike said:

I have a T3 and M7. They are completely different cameras, but both very good. The T3 can slip in a jacket pocket (mine goes in a soft drawstring bag) and is extremely quiet. The lens is a thing of beauty, causing seemingly mundane scenes to look like art. It does require a battery, and the titanium casing is light but I honestly worry about scratching it, as I have the matte black version. Autofocus is decent, as is auto exposure. It gives you the option of aperture priority, too. If you are happy with an automatic pocket camera that with a 35mm f2.8 prime that takes gorgeous photos, the T3 will suit you well.

The M4-P is a manual camera with no light meter. It feels GREAT in the hand, made of zinc alloy (?) and lighter than the later brass plate M bodies. The ability to swap lenses is not to be sneezed at; you can probably get a secondhand Zeiss Biogon 35mm f2.8 for that money and have the effective equivalent of the T3. Spend less and you'll have a Voigtlander 35mm f2.5 Skopar or f1.4 Nokton, which also give lovely results. The Zeiss f2.8 is a very sharp and modern lens, whereas the Voigtlander f1.4 is glowy wide open but still sharp in the details. I've taken some of my favourite dinner table portraits with the Voigtlander 35/1.4. BUT you have to be okay with manual metering or estimating exposure with the M4-P. The M4-P even has 28mm frame lines if you want 28mm later on.

I think the M4-P is a more versatile camera, but only if you are comfortable with manual focus and exposure, or you plan to be comfortable with it. If you like convenience and automation, T3. The rangefinder experience and versatility? M4-P.

Edited to add: as much as I love my M7, I use the T3 more, simply because it slips into the corner of my bag and is out of the way until I want it. You can't really do this with a M body. The f2.8 aperture limits what I can shoot, but the size/weight is a satisfactory tradeoff.

T3 with Fuji Reala

T3 - Spiralling In The Sun by Archiver, on Flickr

T3 - Foxglove in Focus by Archiver, on Flickr

Edited by Archiver
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I have had an M7 since they were first introduced by Leica. It's been to Europe a number of times (pre-covid) and out on rainy days. Of course I covered it. As to the battery I never experienced any problem. I needed to replace one when I in Munich and the Leica dealer fixed me up with a 3 volt Varta. Those little batteries last a long time. 

I purchased a used M7 serial number 2779xx. Received it today. The person I purchased it from said it was his fathers and he rarely if ever used it. Upon inspection, it looked liked a brand new camera (inside and out. ). I'm not new to Leica, I have an m10-R, Q2 & M6.The M6 is currently at Mr Ye's getting the spa treatment and a new anti-glare finder.  

I installed the batteries and loaded portra 400 film. I'm confident I had everything set properly and saw the ISO 400 number in the viewfinder and set the DX mode on the back.

However, no matter what I tried, the shutter would never engage when the camera was in Auto OR on ISO 250. All the other shutter settings would release the shutter. 
Do you have any insights that I may be missing? Or due to the early serial number, does it sound like the camera will need to be repaired? 

If so, I feel I may need to just return it and call it a day.

I'm new the the M7, heard a lot of great things and then a a lot of not so great things.

Any thoughts?