Binoculars made in Portugal Good or Bad ?

Marsman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello all, 

This is my first post on the Leica forum.

I have a classic Leitz black leather covered bino from the late ‘70’s that was made in Germany. It still is a great optic.

I love German binos having Zeiss Victory FL and Steiner peregrine binos made in Germany. I just bought the Trinovid HD over the other German models of same cost because of their high cost to performance. However, maybe I’m old fashioned but made in Portugal bugs me. Are any parts of the Trinovid line made in a Germany and then assembled in Portugal ? Or, are all parts, even lenses and prisms, made in Portugal ? Is at least the design and engineering done in Germany ? I wonder how much more in percentage would the Trinovids cost if completely made in Germany ? If Leica’s reason for out sourcing is high German labor costs why hasn’t Zeiss and Steiner done the same ? ( Except for the Zeiss Terra assembled in China with German made optics ).

Thanks for any answers ! 

Leica binoculars are made in Portugal - have been for decades- because the binocular expertise resides in Portugal, not Germany. They are simply the best you can buy - period. Plus carry a lifelong guarantee. My  heavily used twenty-year old Trinovid 10x42  Jagd got completely refurbished like new last year - for free.

• Like 3

The real difference between Leica and Zeiss binoculars is the optical distortion handling. Zeiss binoculars have a rectilinear rendering which gives a "turning world" effect when panning, Leicas have a deliberate barrel distortion, which avoids the effect and is irrelevant for stationary viewing. Svarovskis are good but do not reach the level of Leica and Zeiss. As for the rest - Bushnell, Nikon, etc. decent but not on the same level - all the el-cheapo stuff - forget it Waste of money.

Thanks all for responding.

I would still like to know if any parts , especially the optics , of Trinovids are made in Germany ?

It however sounds like the complete bino is made in Portugal. Is that so ? It really doesn’t matter because the image is fantastic along with the build quality. I love them. But I do see just a tinge of chromatic aberration when looking at a tree branch against a bright overcast sky compared to my Zeiss Victory FL. 
I think that’s to be expected due to the Trinovids not having fluoride objectives like the Zeiss. However the Trinovids are notably brighter and more contrasty. And thanks for the explanation of the different style of optic between Zeiss and Lica. I didn’t know that. 

One other question. One of the responses stated you get a lifetime warranty. My warranty info booklet states only a 10 year warranty. Which is correct ?

Thanks for the answers !

27 minutes ago, jaapv said:

As far as I am aware nothing is made in `Germany.

Maybe they changed the warranty over the years. Mine ( and my wife's) have lifetime warranty. Fluoride elements may exhibit corrosion over time.

Jaap, see my question above. Thanks.

Jeff

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the information. I had a feeling that no parts of the Trinovid were made in Germany.  Is the design and engineering done in Germany?  If not,  there’s not much of a reason to call them German binos other then the Leica offices are in Germany. I just got the Trinovid HD 10x32 yesterday, now after hours A/B-ing them and my Zeiss Victory FL 10x32, and some tired eyes I can now say the Leica are my favorite binos no matter where they’re made !!! The only bummer is the limited 10 year warranty as opposed to lifetime, oh well you can’t have everything. 
Marsman

• Like 1

As far as I am aware Leica does not make stabilized binoculars. They do make the Geovid series with built-in rangefinder though. Personally I have never felt the need, but I can imagine that it might be quite practical, especially for sailing use.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Marsman said:

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the information. I had a feeling that no parts of the Trinovid were made in Germany.  Is the design and engineering done in Germany?  If not,  there’s not much of a reason to call them German binos other then the Leica offices are in Germany. I just got the Trinovid HD 10x32 yesterday, now after hours A/B-ing them and my Zeiss Victory FL 10x32, and some tired eyes I can now say the Leica are my favorite binos no matter where they’re made !!! The only bummer is the limited 10 year warranty as opposed to lifetime, oh well you can’t have everything. 
Marsman

That is exactly what I meant by the mention of the controlled distortion. I regularly use them hours on end and eye-tiredness is a real concern. 
I really don't care whether they are Outer  Mongolian or Vatican City design - to me the only thing that counts is the quality.

5 hours ago, jaapv said:

The real difference between Leica and Zeiss binoculars is the optical distortion handling. Zeiss binoculars have a rectilinear rendering which gives a "turning world" effect when panning, Leicas have a deliberate barrel distortion, which avoids the effect and is irrelevant for stationary viewing. Svarovskis are good but do not reach the level of Leica and Zeiss. As for the rest - Bushnell, Nikon, etc. decent but not on the same level - all the el-cheapo stuff - forget it Waste of money.

Jaap

I joined my local Bird Watching Society over 20 years ago, and started to pick up my bird watching binocular. I limited  the choice between Leica & Zeiss, and at that time Swarovski binoculars start to gain some popularity.  I field tested the three above mentioned binoculars, I personally agreed that Swarovski is not the same level with Zeiss &  Leica. All the Models for the field test were 10X42 which is very popular among the members.  For a pro-longed period of watching , I picked the Leica Trinovid 10x42 for more suitable for my eyes. I personally feel the Zeiss 10x42 binocular is brighter , but Leica give me less strain to my eyes. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Lawrence

• Like 1

I don't worry about where things are made, provided workers are paid properly and their rights are protected, and as long as the products work as they should.

Airbus aircraft components are made in several countries. The assembled aircraft are not ipso facto inferior to aircraft from Boeing.

Pizza is an exception. I have eaten pizza in many countries. None of them produced pizza as good as pizza made in Italy.

• Like 2

Viv,

I guess I have to leave my “Germany makes great stuff“ dictum in the dust pan in today’s world economy, however it’s going to be hard.

Right now I would love a slice of true Neapolitan pizza from a good Brooklyn pizzeria. Who doesn’t like pizza ? I’ve never been to Italy but I’m sure it’s lovely.

Jamon Iberico from Georgia (USA) anyone? From pigs fed on peanuts?

Edit: and don't get me started on cheddar cheese, originally made just down the road from where I grew up.....but I encountered Canadian 'cheddar' as a child, and lived largely off Scottish 'cheddar' (actually an orange-coloured rubber derivative) as a student in Edinburgh.

Edited by LocalHero1953

My 8x32 Ultravid HD+ binoculars are stamped "LEICA CAMERA MADE IN GERMANY". I'm fully aware that it's perfectly possible that 90% of the work might have been done at Leica Portugal, with the final assembly in Germany, and that doesn't bother me a bit. These days, Leica's components and sub-assemblies are probably sourced worldwide on an OEM basis, that's just the way things are. I think my R8 has got MADE BY LEICA PORTUGAL on it, whereas my R9 has MADE IN GERMANY. Doubtless almost all of the latter was still made in Portugal, with final finishing in Germany, just for marketing reasons. Some years ago, a Forum member reported on a visit to Leica Portugal, and he was hugely impressed with the dedication of the workers there. Leica Portugal is a Leica factory with the Leica ethos, just as the Canada factory used to be (and nobody worries about Leica lenses made in Canada). Just enjoy the binoculars!

• Like 1

Before we joined the EEC (as it was then) you could buy New Zealand lamb, New Zealand butter, and New Zealand Cheddar. These days, I think the term "Cheddar" refers to the particular cheesemaking process rather than the origin.

1 hour ago, masjah said:

Before we joined the EEC (as it was then) you could buy New Zealand lamb, New Zealand butter, and New Zealand Cheddar. These days, I think the term "Cheddar" refers to the particular cheesemaking process rather than the origin.

Cheddar defined by process, but certainly not by outcome!

• Haha 1